Comrades 2018

Comments

• JNR: See you at Three Forts!
  • Great to hear Debra :) I love 3 Forts and it will be nice catching up with you again before we all hit Durban for pizza, beer and a bit of a jog!  

Lowrez...130miles is bonkers....I think that's approximately 37 hrs 59 minutes and 45 seconds of running based on your powers of brinkmanship.  I wanted to see how I cope in a race without sleep....this however takes it to a level I'm not ready for.
  • Welcome back 1owrez!

I've signed up for Barcelona (11 March) and Brighton (15 April).

Staying at the City Lodge (old habits die hard...)

...and considering whether to hire a car this year to go to the Thousand Hills parkrun - a lovely small parkrun with evil hills which I really enjoyed - rather than North Beach or Umhlanga... as I tend to prefer small off road parkruns.

I'm off to Tokyo next week for the marathon and to catch up with family and friends.
  • Matt..Matt.. ✭✭✭
    Seems like everyone’s training is off to a cracking start in 2018.

I’m  in the Belaire club as well this year.

I qualified at Chicago then promptly got sidelined with some juicy hip and back pain. Seem to be getting back to it now, hopefully improve my seeding at Boston in a couple of months.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hotels
    Belaire Suites: Terry48, Bike It, Debra Bourne, Dannirr, Carmen23, Southern Snail, Becca7, Mc Hilly
    City Lodge: marty74, Slow Duck
    Hilton: lowrez
    Umhlanga: jkissane

Comrades 2018 Qualification
    24Sep
    Berlin (M) marty74-Q3:14-PenB, jkissane-Q3:09-PenB
    24Sep
    Loch Ness (M) seren nos-Q4:51-PenH
    08Oct Yorkshire (M) Southern Snail-Q4:43-PenG>CC
    15Oct
    Leicester (M) Becca7-Q3:49-PenD, Max Mladenovic 2-Q3:23pb-PenC
    21Oct Betteshanger Marathon (M) Debra Bourne-Q3:55-PenD
    17Dec
    Portsmouth (M) Peter R-Q4:01-PenF
    17Feb
    Moonlight Challenge (L) Debra Bourne
    17Feb
    Winter Railway (U) marty74
    25Feb
    Tokyo (M) Slow Duck
    25Feb
    Seville (M) Becca7
    01Mar
    Grim Four by Four (M) 1owrez
    10Mar
    Viking 100 Endurance Run (L) Debra Bourne
    10Mar
    Thames Meander (M) justanothrrnr
    11Mar
    Barcelona (M) Slow Duck
    17Mar
    Eco Trail de Paris (U) Becca7
    18Mar
    Tralee (M) jkissane
    24Mar
    Betteshanger Challenge (L) marty74
    31Mar
    Born to Run (U) Becca7
    15Apr
    Brighton (M) Slow Duck
    22Apr
    London (M) Becca7, Terry48, Mr Southern Snail, 1owrez, justanothrrnr
    22Apr
    Connemara (U) jkissane
    28Apr
    Spring Ranscombe (L) marty74
    02May
    Qualification and Race4Charity (PenCC) Closes
    10Jun
    Comrades

Course Tour
    Friday 7:30 - Mc Hilly
    Friday 8:45 - Southern Snail
    Saturday 7:30 - 1owrez

Parkrun
    North Beach: Terry48, Bike It, Debra Bourne, Dannirr, Carmen23, Southern Snail, Becca7, Mc Hilly
    Thousand Hills: Slow Duck
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks SD - me too - was at Belaire but secretly awaiting a Hilton bargain - which I snapped up when it appeared :)

Becca/JAR - that ultra is actually 140; wanted something longer than LLCR130, where I learned a lot - its all about the feet - and not a good idea to use an old Exchange and Mart as blotting paper for them at around 70 miles and change into shoes you haven't really broken in properly for the next 30. Will certainly be better technically prepared at this one if not physically hardened, but, after the first 13 its all in the mind anyway :) It took me 38:36 to complete LLCR, but with better foot management I think I should be just about able to scrape C2C in under 38.

Terry - shall we go for a replay of the first London finish? I doubt I will too fleet of foot myself - we can then trot straight into the nearest pub!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hi @Matt.. are you state side - @Dannirr and several others were in Chicago too - I did Detroit a couple of weeks later. Boston! Wow - fast course in theory! 
  • Lowrez, I do hope to be able to trot to a pub after London (before everyone else has already left town!).
  • Lowrez,  I just read the C2C website, you need an invite and you also need 100miler (non-stop) under your belt to even be considered for one of those.    B)

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

JAR B) ha ha! A few Comrades under my belt helped swing it too - I mentioned a 22 minute negative split B)

So, pub post London? I know a CAMRA aficionado; have asked for a recommendation... this is probably going to be a challenge greater than the previous 26 isn't it? Won't there be 35,000 runners, their families and friends, and general sight seers attempting very similar? Will we even be able to get into a drinking establishment? :)

• McHilly - which CTS trail events are you doing? I'm doing exmoor in April
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Hotels
    Belaire Suites: Terry48, Bike It, Debra Bourne, Dannirr, Carmen23, Southern Snail, Becca7, Mc Hilly

24Sep
    Berlin (M) marty74-Q3:14-PenB, jkissane-Q3:09-PenB
    24Sep
    08Oct Yorkshire (M) Southern Snail-Q4:43-PenG>CC
    15Oct
    15Oct
    Amsterdam (M) Mac3-Q3:23-PenC
    21Oct Betteshanger Marathon (M) Debra Bourne-Q3:55-PenD
    17Dec
    17Feb
    17Feb
    25Feb
    Tokyo (M) Slow Duck
    25Feb
    Seville (M) Becca7
    01Mar
    10Mar
    10Mar
    11Mar
    Barcelona (M) Slow Duck
    17Mar
    18Mar
    Tralee (M) jkissane
    18Mar Utrecht (M) Mac3
    24Mar
    31Mar
    Born to Run (U) Becca7
    08Apr Rotterdam (M) Mac3
    15Apr Brighton (M) Slow Duck
    22Apr
    22Apr
    Connemara (U) jkissane
    28Apr
    02May
    10Jun
    Comrades

Course Tour

Parkrun
    North Beach: Terry48, Bike It, Debra Bourne, Dannirr, Carmen23, Southern Snail, Becca7, Mc Hilly, Mac3

• Lowrez - I qualified in Berlin, just.  But considering was 6 weeks after knee surgery, I was more than happy.  I have another one end of this month and will improve the time there.  I did Chicago too, but being just 2 weeks after Berlin and now 8 weeks after the knee surgery, it was a little slower!

Seems like we'll have a bunch at Bellaire - fun.

Anyone else dong Two Oceans too?
  • 1owrez said:

JAR B) ha ha! A few Comrades under my belt helped swing it too - I mentioned a 22 minute negative split B)

So, pub post London? I know a CAMRA aficionado; have asked for a recommendation... this is probably going to be a challenge greater than the previous 26 isn't it? Won't there be 35,000 runners, their families and friends, and general sight seers attempting very similar? Will we even be able to get into a drinking establishment? :)

Theres quite a few pubs around Whitehall (surprise surprise) which may just be far away enough from the Mall to get a seat.  Otherwise I can ask the missus to bring a cooler bag of beer to the finish and we can scatter ourselves across Horseguards like it's the International Tent in Durban.  

Hey Mac3 - are you based in the Netherlands?  Amsterdam, Utrecht and Rotterdam I see this year.

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi JAR, yes I moved to NL last March.  A little flat for Comrades training but some hills further South and East.  I mostly have to use a treadmill at a decent elevation!  Glad to see your training is picking up.  I also noted your 2016 result was officially recognised.  See you in Durban.  
  • Flat perhaps but a very good place for carbo loading!   Yes my 2016 race was eventually recognised which was very pleasing (the day was still horrible!)

Good luck with training in the meantime - are you chasing a time this year?
  • Mac3 - I'd imagine that after 15 months of being in NL and you'll be able to understand the Afrikaans at Comrades!  :D
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Great that your 2016 race has been recognised, JAR.  We all shared some of the pain but it must have been absolutely awful for you.  So does that put you in the half green club?
  • Thanks Becca - it was really awful but still it was tougher watching 12 hours of Comrades from my couch!

That's 3 races for me now but I'll be sticking it out until I get a 22 min negative split or the 100th race (and maybe more if my 12 year old follows through on her goals.)    

Hope you're recovering well!  
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    A tin in Horse Guards Parade :) that'll definitely hit the spot, I'm wondering if it will be a bit challenging though, exposed to the British weather, broad spread of finishing times, waiting around for me and Terry to finally turn up versus the warmth of a Dickensian pub probably with some very nice food options? What time does the gun go? I gave 5 hours as my potential run time. I think it will be a big chunk of time before I even get started; worried now that 6pm is too early for my departure! 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

My scars from last year's 2O haven't healed yet Dannirr; I do need that medal, but not this year.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Looking at my 13 and 20 milers which are based on similar routes I can cut a hybrid 17 miler from them so I think that'll be this weekend's taper into Blubberhouses commencing - thanks for the reflection JAR - Bruce wouldn't have wimped out on the full 20 would he! 
  • Lowrez, congratulations on your appearance in the Comrades 'Top Fundraisers' post.  Well done!  You've certainly well earned you CC seeding place.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks Terry - more shades required B) - I doubt I can hang on to first place though - See Carel, currently in 3rd? He has a lot of financial services oomph behind him and can drum up 150,000 Rand if he puts his back into it; he's been top fundraiser 2015 and 2016, had a year off last year. I will try to continue to give him a run for his money though! I always connect with a charity too whenever I go marathon or above so I am currently a bit thinly spread but firing on multiple cylinders. I don't like "having" to hit targets and usually collect at my own pace independently but for London I have had to make a commitment to £2,250 for the place Leukaemia Care have given me otherwise I would be directing more towards Comrades and World Vision. I also have campaigns coming up on the rails for C2C, as its my longest run ever, its for a Huntington's Disease charity very close to my personal circumstances, Blubberhouses will go towards the blind, Tasmania has just closed out for a hospice... blimey I can drone on a bit can't I!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hotels

24Sep
    Berlin (M) marty74-Q3:14-PenB, jkissane-Q3:09-PenB, Dannirr-Q4:54-PenH
    24Sep
    08Oct
    Yorkshire (M) Southern Snail-Q4:43-PenG>CC
    08Oct
    Chicago (M) Matt..-Q3:54-PenD
    15Oct
    21Oct
    Betteshanger Marathon (M) Debra Bourne-Q3:55-PenD
    17Dec
    17Feb
    17Feb
    25Feb
    Tokyo (M) Slow Duck
    25Feb
    Seville (M) Becca7
    01Mar
    10Mar
    10Mar
    11Mar
    Barcelona (M) Slow Duck
    17Mar
    18Mar
    Tralee (M) jkissane
    18Mar
    Utrecht (M) Mac3
    24Mar
    31Mar
    Born to Run (U) Becca7
    08Apr
    Rotterdam (M) Mac3
    15Apr
    Brighton (M) Slow Duck
    16Apr
    Boston USA (M) Matt..
    22Apr
    22Apr
    Connemara (U) jkissane
    28Apr
    02May
    10Jun
    Comrades

Course Tour

Parkrun
    North Beach: Terry48, Bike It, Debra Bourne, Dannirr, Carmen23, Southern Snail, Becca7, Mc Hilly, Mac3

• Hotels

24Sep
     Berlin (M) marty74-Q3:14-PenB, jkissane-Q3:09-PenB, Dannirr-Q4:54-PenH
    24Sep
     Loch Ness (M) seren nos-Q4:51-PenH
    08Oct Yorkshire (M) Southern Snail-Q4:43-PenG>CC
    08Oct
     Chicago (M) Matt..-Q3:54-PenD
    15Oct
     Leicester (M) Becca7-Q3:49-PenD, Max Mladenovic 2-Q3:23pb-PenC
    21Oct Betteshanger Marathon (M) Debra Bourne-Q3:55-PenD
    17Dec
     Portsmouth (M) Peter R-Q4:01-PenF
    17Feb
     Moonlight Challenge (L) Debra Bourne
    17Feb
     Winter Railway (U) marty74
    25Feb
     Tokyo (M) Slow Duck
    25Feb
     Seville (M) Becca7
    01Mar
     Grim Four by Four (M) 1owrez
    04Mar Vaal (M) Bike It
    10Mar
     Viking 100 Endurance Run (L) Debra Bourne
    10Mar
     Thames Meander (M) justanothrrnr
    11Mar
     Barcelona (M) Slow Duck
    17Mar
     Eco Trail de Paris (U) Becca7
    18Mar
     Tralee (M) jkissane
    18Mar
     Utrecht (M) Mac3
    24Mar
     Betteshanger Challenge (L) marty74
    31Mar
     Born to Run (U) Becca7
    08Apr
     Rotterdam (M) Mac3
    15Apr
     Brighton (M) Slow Duck
    16Apr
     Boston USA (M) Matt..
    22Apr
     London (M) Becca7, Terry48, Mr Southern Snail, 1owrez, justanothrrnr
    22Apr
     Connemara (U) jkissane
    28Apr
     Spring Ranscombe (L) marty74
    02May
     Qualification and Race4Charity (PenCC) Closes
    10Jun
     Comrades

Course Tour

Parkrun
    North Beach: Terry48, Debra Bourne, Dannirr, Carmen23, Southern Snail, Becca7, Mc Hilly, Mac3
    Lie In Bed: 
    Bike It
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Love your parkrun option Bike It :)
  • Any opinions on the following welcome:
    I'm running Paris marathon on April 8th, so 2 months out from race day. I feel with a hard but not 'eyeballs out' effort I could go sub 3:20 and up my seeding from C to B. Is it wise/worth it bearing in mind it will impact a bit on my training runs for a couple of weeks afterwards?
    Secondly, on coach Parry's plan I did a 8km Time Trial last night and bagged 34:43 (BR Target 35:00 - 35:35), does this mean I'm looking good for a BR medal or absolutely nothing?? :smiley:
    Can't tell you how helpful it is having people who've been there and got the T-shirt to get advice from!
  • Nice going Max. In my opinion i wouldn't bother trying to up my seeding a such a late stage. The difference between B and C is minimal in terms of where you start. The impact it will have in recovery and future training runs is too great a risk with very little reward. Personally i would run Paris as an easy training run, and if you fancy a stretch of your legs, run the first 20-22 really easy and then increase the speed. Its also quite a fun way to run a marathon overtaking people in the latter stages and feeling great.

Also after a BR, perhaps 6th time lucky? ;)

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

I have two CAMRA recommendations; The Lord Moon of the Mall, and, The Harp, and from someone who has frequented the area and knows it like the back of their hand; The Chandos