Options

Comrades 2018

Comments

• Options
    Matt..Matt.. ✭✭✭
    Looks like everyone is building well for June.
    been a while since I’ve been on here, i’ve finally managed 3 back to back weeks that had a 20 mile+ run in. Completed the crossfit open for the first time this year as well, not sure it’s made me speedier, but a welcome distraction from the mileage.

lowrez, all the best in the upcoming qualifier.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hotels
    Belaire Suites: Terry48, Bike It, Debra Bourne, Dannirr, Carmen23, Southern Snail, Becca7, Mc Hilly
    City Lodge: marty74, Slow Duck
    Hilton: lowrez
    Umhlanga: jkissane

Comrades 2018 Qualification
    24Sep
    Berlin (M) marty74-Q3:14-PenB, jkissane-Q3:09-PenB
    24Sep
    Loch Ness (M) seren nos-Q4:51-PenH
    08Oct
    Yorkshire (M) Southern Snail-Q4:43-PenG>CC
    08Oct
    Chicago (M) Matt..-Q3:54-PenD
    15Oct
    Leicester (M) Becca7-Q3:49-PenD, Max Mladenovic 2-Q3:23pb-PenC
    21Oct
    Betteshanger (M) Debra Bourne-Q3:55-PenD
    17Dec
    Portsmouth (M) Peter R-Q4:01-PenF
    25Feb
    Tokyo (M) Slow Duck-Q3:58-PenD, Wilfmannion-Q4:42-PenH
    03Mar
    Albany (M) Dannirr-Q4:07-PenF
    04Mar
    Vaal (M) Bike It-Q4:13-PenF
    10Mar
    Thames Meander (M) justanothrrnr-Q3:53-PenD
    18Mar
    Utrecht (M) Mac3-Q3:34-PenC
    07Apr
    Exmoor (M) Southern Snail
    08Apr
    Rotterdam (M) Mac3
    08Apr
    Manchester (M) Marty74, Marty74 Snr, ajd19, 1owrez
    15Apr
    Brighton (M) Slow Duck
    16Apr
    Boston USA (M) Matt..
    22Apr
    London (M) Becca7, Terry48, Mr Southern Snail, 1owrez, justanothrrnr, Mr K, (Beers at The Harp, 47 Chandos Place, WC2N 4HS post race)
    22Apr
    Connemara (U) jkissane
    22Apr
    Pewsey Downsaround (U) Carmen23
    28Apr
    Spring Ranscombe (L) marty74
    02May
    Qualification and Race4Charity (PenCC) Closes
    10Jun
    Comrades

Course Tour
    Friday 7:30 - Mc Hilly
    Friday 8:45 - Southern Snail
    Saturday 7:30 - 1owrez, seren nos

Parkrun
    North Beach: Terry48, Bike It, Debra Bourne, Dannirr, Carmen23, Southern Snail, Becca7, Mc Hilly, Mac3
    Umhlanga: jkissane
    Thousand Hills: Slow Duck
    Zandvlei: seren nos
    Lie In Bed: Bike It
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

What font colour could one choose other than "chocolate"?

Thanks for the vibes Matt.. :) Great training you are getting in there

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Great run Debra so soon after your 100. Hope you are 100% soon.

And lowrez, our plan for Manchester is to go through halfway in around 2.26 ish??? Might catch you en route somewhere?? Will be wearing comrades cap and have comrades badge on my salomon backpack as well, so may be fairly easy to spot around the 5hr pace groups??
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I will look out for you Marty, not quite decided on my garb yet :o. Given the close shaves so far I was going to aim for 2:20ish half to try and keep a one mile margin of error in the bag for the second half. I'm sure our paths will cross :)
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    we can have a celebratory beer at the finish then ;)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Do I recall correctly - is a "free beer" available as part of the post race goody bag :)

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Hmm, would you call it "beer" though:-

What’s in the finisher bag?

Your finisher t-shirt is in the finisher bag so please make sure you pick up the correct size from the XS, small, medium, large or XL stations in the finish chute. There will also be a your medal, a bottle of water, a foil blanket and a protein recovery bar. There will also be Erdinger Alkoholfrei available next to the baggage marquee with isotonic refreshment.
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Lets call it liquid refreshment then :)
  • Options
    hi all
     been a bit quiet as training not great.Legs suffered from weird bruising and struggling on long runs...Have Llanelli and Newport marathons this month so hoping to finish both not too much over 5 hours but doubtful at moment...Glad I qualified in September.

Husband will be going for his Pen C place so hopefully will get it at one of the races as I have already bought my Pen C place.

Has anyone seen the official tshirts.......cant believe they have different colours for men and women...I hate pink so pleased I put a mans size on my entry
  • Options

seren nos: good luck to you and your husband in your marathons. Hope your legs improve soon. Have you had yourself checked properly? Blood tests?

Where have you seen the T-shirt? I hate pink as well but like you have ordered men's anyway as I prefer the styling.

Actually tempted by the UK T-shirt as well - nice design. But I really do have enough running shirts...

• Options
    Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Ah! Seen it now. Not nearly as nice as 2016 or 2017, in my opinion - uninspiring. And VERY glad I've asked for the men's - blue is much better than pink.
  • Options
    Where are you guys seeing the t shirts. Did we not put down which size we wanted. Why would they have asked us to gender? And what do you mean by the uk t shirt?

Sorry the legs are still not sorted Seren. You seem to have had something going on a while now.

I'll see you in pen C :)

• Options
    SSnail: If you go onto the main Comrades website, the pics at the top cycle through including showing a horrible pink one for women and an uninspiring blue design for men - you can click the arrows to cycle through as well. UPDATE: they've taken them off the carousel!

You had to specify male or female as part of the size of shirt. I went for male small, thankfully as I don't like the "cute" capped sleeves etc. of the women's shirts. Uninspiring design compared to the last two years' designs, but something I'm prepared to wear - unlike the pink!

The UK shirts are these: https://www.eventrac.co.uk/merchandise/28 - the ones a number of the UK runners will wear.
  • Options
    Debra - thanks. Presume I put female down. Last year we all had orange didn't we? Men and women? In the link above do you know how the sizing goes? the xxs is 34" That can't be bust size! And are they the equivalent of the green ones people were wearing last year? Sorry. Lots of questions. Thought the green ones had come via Dave someone from Facebook 
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Southern Snail - If you don't like the pink T shirt, log in to your "2018 Entry Update" (dropdown under "Login" at the right hand tab of Comrades website).  Then, move across those tabs to Products and Charity. That drop-down shows an editable line with selection of shirt - male/female sizes, etc. I just tried my entry to check this and found I could change and then save change of mine, if I wished. (Just as well I don't like pink either!!!! ;):) So, mine stays blue.

Don't tell too many of the ladies or they'll run out of men's sizes!
  • Options
    Thanks Terry although I still don't know where to find a picture of what they actually look like.
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    SS, are you on facebook?  If so, see "Comrades UK and Ireland" - post of 26 March for recent pics.  Or, if on Facebook send your FB name if you wish and I can share it to you?
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Have had a magnificent week in Cape Town.  Came for Two Oceans, which did not go to plan, but loved it never the less.

Have been training with a friend who has wanted to run the race for ages, but is very borderline for a finish.  Qualified with a 4:59:59 in Chicago.  She trained really well, and is in superb shape and I was very confident we could get it done in 6:45 (cutoff 7:00).    Shake outrun the day before was great.   On race day, a long established hamstring issue resurfaced and would just not go away.  She kept pace despite terrible pain in the leg, and new hip pain from trying to compensate,  to 25 km, and then we decided it was time to stop.   Disappointed?  Yes.   But wouldn't change a thing.  Ran a magnificent route with my best running friend.  Priceless.   And yesterday, with things feeling better and a few other friends, we ran our own, slow run over Chapman's Peak.

Now back to Comrades training.

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Dannirr - the light in those pictures is superb, sorry the day didn't go to plan, I have unfinished business to sort out on this course one day. Your friend has an amazing qualifying time - I am envious! Maybe this has the makings of a future trip about it? Hope the ham recovers completely for Comrades, sounds like the jog a day after was good therapy?
  • Options
    Envious of that weather Dannirr - sorry the race didn't go well.  
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Great that your friend got to do this race, even if it didn't work out on the day and it looks like you had a great trip anyway.  I fear that 4:59:59 may have given lowrez a target but something a little safer would be preferable.
  • Options
    Terry - thanks. not on FB but have got my daughter to show me. I actually don't mind pink although I think everyone should have the same. I hope they're not tapered. They look like they might be pulled in at the back. You don't really need to be worrying what your figure looks like when you're running :o

Dannirr - well done anyway at 2 oceans. Looks great. Might have to go on the running list! Need a goal for next year. Sorry about your friend. Hope she can sort the hamstring out for Comrades.

Lowrez - hope you've got your feet up and are saving all your energy for Sunday.
  • Options
    Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I'm still baffled by the sizing on the other t shirts. Which size would people order? normally UK small/medium?
    Small is 38" but that would be way too big
  • Options
    64 days to go.....taking the 'tapir' into account that's only about 6-7 weeks of hard work left pre-Comrades.   Is it just me or is time disappearing far too quickly?  

Hope everyone has a good weekend of running.  Best of luck to you Lowrez and to anyone else eyeing up qualification this weekend.  Go for it Sir!

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, good luck anyone running a marathon this weekend and especially to lowrez for the qualifier.  Please, please, please no stormtrooper outfit and no drama, just a nice safe qualifier.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Had to have pulled pork in a white bap with curly fries and mushy peas for lunch as there was no pasta in the canteen? Is that any good for carb loading? Oh and I got a massive Eccles cake out of the vendo for afters.

Thanks for the best wishes everyone - certainly leaving the stormtrooper garb at home, but the weather forecast is intermittent rain with a good breeze and 9C at the start not pushing over 11C by the finish... that's quite cool... I might need two layers instead of one... and... Hermes just e-mailed me to say a package has arrived... it might be my Britney Spears airhostess uniform... you can't expect me to leave that in the wardrobe when I've just got it?

What's all this about a pink t-shirt? Count me in :)

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Coincidental, and not defeatist thinking on my part in any way, but just had an invite to run Hamburg on 29th April if all falls through!

Won't need it though, Manchester is going to deliver!

• Options
    Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Yay lowrez. Qualifier at Manchester and Britney in Hamburg!!! Good luck

Exmoor tomorrow for me. Hotel room overlooks the start line and some rather large hills. Very civilised. 2nd floor though and no lift :o 

good of luck to Mac 3, Marty and Marty senior, ajd19  and lowrez 
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Thanks SS. Think i may get more nervous at Manchester since i have the added pressure of trying to keep the pace slow enough but on track and then no doubt having do to some maths to ensure the mile times later on don't slip too much!!!!