Comrades 2018

Comments

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, we knew you couldn’t have an uneventful journey! Hope the knee recovers soon!
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, we await your next near miss or mishap with bated breath.  I hope the knee recovers soon and any further mishaps are truly minor!

It was great to see everyone over this past week and enjoy social time infused also with all the Comrades details and stories of the big day. I really missed being able to run and hope for better things next time!

I hope you are either already home safely or will enjoy the remainder of your holiday in SA.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

I thought the punishment was going to continue on the final flight McH; as I handed the stewardess an empty bottle of Heineken at the end of the flight; a bottle I had openly walked onto the plane with sipping away at and also doing the same through at least two previous boarding card checks; I was told off in no uncertain terms that I should not bring my own alcohol onto a flight? And yet I had purchased it post security and they were giving tinnies of Heineken out in-flight anyway? The bloke next to me was very impressed however; said it was "Good Arrers" :)

JAR! What a superb result against the backdrop of your restricted preparation this year - love the true grit everyone showed in bringing this one home :) I agree about the finish I just want to be directed 2 steps to the left when I finish into a fully populated International pit full of drunken and raving finishers to a braai slightly charring boerewors and have my medal brought out on a platter next to an ice cold tin of Castle whilst I encourage the sub 12ers to finish for the final 4 minutes.

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Compilation is yet to be completed, but its happening here: https://www.jetlineactionphoto.com/find_photos.php

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Terry, you are a superb post race hugger! RR you have some serious competition! Which ever side of the start or finish line Terry you are indispensable. Hoping the year ahead works out well for you and we can see you on the road qualifying and taking part. Thanks for the expert care in my post race trauma and the wheels back to the Hilton :) 
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    While it was disappointing to not be able to run Comrades, I did find another activity to help make the trip rewarding.

Christina (Mac3's partner) and I went scuba diving yesterday and found Shark viewing part substitute for not running Comrades!

We had a really great scuba dive on the Aliwal Shoal, 5kms off the Natal coast at Scottburgh. The conditions were perfect - crystal clear water, giving very clear vision of numerous huge turtles, a big variety of fish and at least a dozen ragged toothed sharks. The 'raggies' sightings are a highlight for any scuba diver. One of them was huge! I'd never seen one before, outside of an aquarium, and was a quite apprehensive when advised in advance that this particular dive site is a bit of a shark alley at this breeding season time of year. Seeing them cruising past so calmly you realise that they are not really interested in scuba divers for breakfast. Perhaps that is unless you provoke them? (See the attached photos of do's and dont's advice :)

Image may contain text

No automatic alt text available

Thanks for your great company Christina.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Wow Terry, those rules are worse than stewardesses! Sounds incredible; I'm looking at those teeth either side at the top of the sign and I'm glad I'm not in the water :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

Seren, do I spot a Pirate under the left hand "U" of OLD MUTUAL

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Is Mr seren nos a Pirate too, can't spot him in the 10:27s if so due to some other chaos being concentrated on at that time 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Sneaky Snail - a bloke in red with a black head covering underneath the right hand clock is obscuring you with the flag of, possibly Iran, green, white and red stripes, so let him get out the way but keep looking on where he was because you come out of that area and ultimately slip through on the right
  • 1owrez said:

I just want to be directed 2 steps to the left when I finish into a fully populated International pit full of drunken and raving finishers to a braai slightly charring boerewors and have my medal brought out on a platter next to an ice cold tin of Castle whilst I encourage the sub 12ers to finish for the final 4 minutes.

Lowrez, Comrades are missing a trick - this should be your job for life

Wondering if anyone else thought there was less banter on the road this year?  Usually find myself chatting with more people but there was apparently more running so that could be why...i did see loads of 0 medal numbers on course.  Also the roads were much steeper and longer than ever before, almost double I'm told.

• jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the super runs!

Sorry to hear the inury flared up Dannirr, doesn't sound like it came as a surprise but doesn't make it any easier through. 

Went reasonably ok for me, just one bad patch but guess you've got to expect one in something 90k long! Without going into too much detail I found myself in pressing need of a portaloo somewhere around 65k, so much so that I had to resort to walking 'til I found one & then there was the inevitiable queue of course! When I remerged into the sunshine, had to resort to coaxing myself back running with the old run to the next pole trick but it did work over the next few k & was chugging along again by the time I passed 75k.

Finished in 9:32 in the end but tbh the time wasn't in my head at all. Crossing the line under my own steam instead of in the back of a 'bailer bus' like last year was the only thing I cared about so over the moon to manage it :)

Wasn't too keen on the new finish venue really. I really liked the old one where you could lay out on the grass & everyone was in the same area right along by the track instead of in banked uncomfortable seats. Food seemed worse also, I just ended up eating the wrap & tossing the rest in the bin.

Suspect I won't be back next year as planning a hilly trail ultra of 72k in Germany (Gutsmuth Rennsteiflauf) on May 26th so very dubious of the chances of managing the up run just two weeks later.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I'm back home now.  Another great trip and it was super to catch up with so many from this thread at dinner, at the hotel, on the road and in the stadium.

Dannirr -great to see you, although briefly.  Well done on taking Comrades on and it's a shame it didn't work out but hopefully you can get back to 100%  Enjoy the rest of your stay in South Africa.

Terry - thanks again for the lift and for your support to those of us running.  The early morning lift really was above and beyond and took a lot of the stress out of the trip to PMB.

Debra - great to run with you and well done on a strong finish.  Enjoy the rest of your trip.

McH - a strong run and 3 is of course half way to 10.

Snail - well done on the back to back, it was super to see you coming up the stadium steps with that medal.

lowrez - it really seemed like you were in form for a bronze but that would have been too easy, as would packing the correct travel documents.

JAR - that was a great run in the circumstances.

jk - great to grind out a finish in a good time in the circumstances.

Marty - number 6, nicely done.  

Seren - a mighty effort.  Well done.

Bike It - I hope the doc has some answers for you and you are back at Comrades next year.

My slowest Comrades by quite a way and I've lost my 100% sub 10 record but that was always likely this year.  Once my legs have recovered I will be focusing on pace with a view to a qualifier in the autumn.
  • jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    Forgot to ask did anybody else get caught up in the traffic snarl getting to the start? My lift left Umhlanga at 3am and after much anxiety managed to drop the two of us in the car around a k from the start pens. A nice warm up jog got me to my pen just as Chariots of Fire kicked off!
  • Got back a couple of hours ago after a dreadful delay filled 24 hours. Sorry to hear you had to pull out Dannirr. I had an AMAZING time at Comrades. In answer to the newbie question - Me :D, I was one. My race went like clockwork. Met lowrez in the pen and we had a good chat that calmed the nerves (thanks lowrez!) and the race was everything and more I thought it might be. The crowds were awesome, the course was so tough, but wonderful, and the camaraderie out there incredible. I only cried twice! Once at the orphanage, then all the way from the tunnel to the finish as it sunk home that after all the training I'd got my Bill Rowan. 8:40:10, I even got put in charge of the 8:45 bus for a few minutes when the guy blew up on Cowies and I led the recovery up the hill! I don't think I'd have got the Bill Rowan without all the tips and advice I got from so many of you on here, so thanks to all of you. I ran a 4:20:08 first half and a 4:20:02 second half. I was aiming for even splits, oh well ;)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Max - that is a phenomenal result :) masterful running for a "novice", and to take on the bus is something special. I think the down is so much more demanding than the up - you should have an even better day next year - you are of course coming back for your back-to-back aren't you? It was great chatting in C, I recall I was singing along to Tears for Fears when you shook my hand thinking how appropriate that was for what we were about to receive. Ethembeni always floors me, I work my way down the line shaking hands and there is always that point where the poor little guy can't because he has no arm... I've had a complete antidote a few paces further on these past two years where the girls on the World Vision tent grab me, shake me up and then throw me down the road on my way, although I will probably switch charities next year and they may switch to tripping me up because of that :) That is a negative split mate - NOBODY negative splits Comrades! :):)
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

Well done all, and sorry Dannirr although I am sure you did the right thing by not pushing it.  Was quite emotional when I crossed the line after the DNF last year and hearing events from the medical tent.  Was also good to meet some of you at Jo Cools on Monday afternoon.  I think I switched the lights off when I left and felt even more worse for wear on Tuesday morning than I did on Monday morning.

jkissane: I was also a 9.32 finisher ... small world. 

Thats 9 for me now, I will be back next year for sure!

Speedy: great article on you in the Comrades Magazine, congratulations. Finally got around to reading it on the plane home.

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

JK and Peter, you have rocket engines for legs!

Glad you managed to steer through a challenging year and get that finish Peter.

JK I got into PM at about 4:10 and the roads were getting congested but were OK around then. Its a long chilly wait after that though. Your trip sounds similar to mine last down, I got to the pens singing Shosholoza. I set off from Durban on a standard bus probably around 2:50, last year it was gone 3:15, marked difference in calmness at the start as a result this year.

Did anyone experience the running traffic jams in the climb up to Pollys? Pitch dark and the field just slumped to a walk on several occasions - they need to sort that out - road funnelling down a lot narrower in places and no lighting on the road - I heard there were a good few tumbles.

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Still compiling, these are definitely being purchased once completed!

• Hey Max - amazing day - well done on completing your first Comrades and I love the fact your debut was so eventful!  It's a special day anyway but hopefully it sets in stone that we'll be seeing you again next year.   After 8:40 I can't wait to see what you've got planned for the BTB!

Lowrez -  classics photos there...hope you took the glasses off to go to bed  B)

• Thanks lowrez/justanthr, I'm currently in negotiations with my better half about the back to back. I would love to go back and get the b2b medal and see what challenges the up run throws our way. I have to run this great race again so why not go for a b2b? Botha's Field's and especially Polly Shortts must be brutal I assume?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Hi Max, there are some different views on this, and despite searching I still can't find anything written down to the contrary; I think you only get one shot at a back to back and its in your second year having been successful in your first. So you need to "negotiate" something with Mrs Max for sure :)

I find the up run a lot gentler on the frame, but I power walk those hills, or at least have done on my last two forays, I still want to do better so I guess I need to work at putting more effort in than that on those stages. Polly Shortts is a real challenge that late in the day, but, there is something about knowing if you conquer it you are extremely likely to finish that always has me welcoming that final climb :)

Still looking at what you did on Sunday with a massive smile on my face; absolutely amazing run Max :) have you watched the video of yourself finish on youtube? You had me re-shedding tears too!

• Lowrez - yes that’s a fleeting glimpse of me coming over the finish line. 

Max - amazing first run. Congrats. With regards to B2B despite it being me that thought I’d read that any consecutive 2 years would get you the medal I did notice many people running on Sunday who had 1 medal already but didn’t have 2 red stripes on their number to denote B2B. Therefore I can only assume I was wrong. If you want the extra medal you need to get yourself back next year. Some flowers, a nice meal out and a great holiday somewhere should give you a pass from mrs max ??
  • I have a blister on one toe and although not at all big it’s giving me a bit of gyp and I’ve noticed that my big toe nail isn’t as close to my nail bed as it should be. I’ve never suffered nail problems before and am now panicking about the pain I’ll go through. I’m a bit wimpish with pain ?
    I went into pen c with jock and James and as we sat down to wait for the start I looked right into a Nando’s so off we trotted and got free tea/coffee and cakes. A warm place to sit and empty toilets. Very civilised 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I've got two of those nails SS, and had plenty in the past, don't recall any real pain, they simply deflate over time and return to normal, nail loss is a possibility buy it'll be totally pain free, a new one will simply grow and push the discarded damaged one away over time. That Nandos sounds superb, lets hope there is no change in management in the next 2 years, so what time did you get back into penC?
  • Matt..Matt.. ✭✭✭
    Great running everyone. Awesome hearing the reports coming in.
    I was a bit slower this year, just over 10, as so often happens at this race i got what i deserved after some injury issues and a bit less training. Of my 6 comrades i have 3 in the 8:... and 3 in the 10:... maybe i'll crack the 9s next year :)
    Over on the US group they are chatting about cheap Hilton rates for next year, seems i'll be getting an early booking in.

Enjoy the recovery all. Looking forward to the 2019 chat kicking off
  • Thanks for the info on the b2b and the up run lowrez. I found the finish line video stream on youtube so have seen my blubbing performance :'( . It's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgJlLTb1ccs if anyone hasn't found it. The toenail stuff is useful as I've also got one full of fluid. Sounds like we won't suffer too much SS, and it's a war wound to show people. I'll definitely get to work on Mrs Max for next year.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Well done Matt :) This course rips any weakness wide open doesn't it. If you can get home despite being laid bare then you have achieved massively.

Now then I'm after a good Hilton rate but I can't find any, are we talking June 9th for the up run next year, has that been confirmed?

• wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭
    Hi folks dipping in here from somewhere in RSA hills, at the International area finish I met Roger, in my hotel was ?MMcCarthy who'd met up with some o f you , and Chris Taylor was on flight with you Becca. I got to mile 54.8 on my garmin -  onto th flat in Durban in the dark with 5 mins to go or less, ... I was going at around 13-15 mins a mile by then - and wanted to go until gun , or then until 55 mile, but bail bus appeared , and I was hobbling-  so I bailed with a sense of achievement of getting through all cut offs but the last.

my main issue now is that my garmin vivoactive hr will not send the data to my phone garmin connect & thus to strava fetch etc .

Any ideas please - Ive already turned on and off the vivoactive hr several times, and the iPhone 5; and told connect garmin to forget and resynch, but it starts to synch, has even shown 'uploading '  but then doesn't load  shows synch fail on garmin connect on phone- red error bar at bottom of screen 

help please thanks 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Hi Rob, just wrong side of the wire is a difficult place, I have Two Oceans scars that haven't healed yet more than a year on, hope you are looking to try the up run next year :)

That device is not my forte but there is a good discussion with various resolutions here: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/264049/Why+won’t+my+vivoactive+connect+to+my+phone+with+Bluetooth

Unfortunately some of them involve a Garmin rtb

Great chat we had in that empty stadium - my friends had to drag me away from you - they were getting post Comrades famished :) If you are thinking of next year these threads are a great place to knock around :)