Manchester Marathon 2018

Comments

• Cal great long run! Fantastic weekend to finish your training on. Nice Mileage!!!

Tom, looking at forecasts weather looks okay but it has changed every day for the last week lol.  Sounds like you have a decent bank of training to get round Manchester.  I've hit 80 in a week once can't imagine get that close on a training week, saying that 3 years ago I didn't think I'd hit 50s that easily.

Shuka, I've heard from other years that the pens aren't managed that strictly, may be worth emailing the organisers they seem to be quite quick at responding.

Zippy sounds positive hope those niggles stay at bay.

Legs feel terrible calfs are very tight (from Parkrun) and haven't been to see the foam roller this year let alone this weekend! Defo tonight after a gym session involving a lot of stretching.  My OH completed London Landmark Half yesterday... over 1000ft elevation!!!! lost of twisty turns but good charity support around the course but if you're after a fast one I'd give it a miss.

• Good running Tom and Cal, glad things are looking up zippy.

Thanks all for tips re gels. I carried 4 on my run yesterday in an old cheapo running belt I'd assumed wouldn't have space, but was fine. I used one to see how it was at pace. Not too bad but probably could have done it better and a drink after would have been nice. I think 4 is probably most I could cope with so will go with first at the 8 mile/1 hr mark and then evenly spaced after that with last one 1/2 hr before end.

Run itself was 15 miles rather than 16, just for sake of time. Went fine but felt a little fatigued. Proper taper starts now - back down to my usual 4 runs a week, which makes life easier.
  • Race plan/ targets

What will make me smile is a PB of any shape or size (3.43.59) simple 8.30ish miles.

Aiming for sub 3.40, halfway in 1.48.20, review how I'm feeling 16-19 miles.  If feeling I can push a few seconds a mile faster great, banking time for a possible fade, I don't want to be hanging on for a hard finish with a 50 miler in 6 weeks and some training still to do.

• ^^^^ yes please ^^^^
  • RobFrostRobFrost ✭✭✭
    Hey everyone, loved reading all your comments and as a first timer am picking up some great tips. Had a few weeks off running due to a calf strain (my first running injury!) was VERY frustrating and felt rubbish, but at least I had clocked a few 20 milers leading up the injury, went and saw a physio Saturday and had acupuncture and he said I would be able to do Manchester, not a problem, had to miss Colchester Half yesterday which was a real bummer but glad I'm back in for Manchester, went for a 6 mile run last night and calf held up so now I'm getting my confidence back, really excited for the 8th!

One other thing, have looked on my race number and I'm in zone G, this is the furthest back, must have put a longer estimated time when I applied as I had no idea what time I would be expecting, am hoping to do sub 4, is this going to be a problem or doesn't it really mater?

Good luck to everyone on the last 2 weeks of tapering down.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    I like the look of that forecast! 
  • Rob, I reckon being a bit further back is good. People always go off too quick in a race of any distance and it stops you being swept along with those who are aiming for a similar time to you, but who start as if they aim to go fifteen minutes quicker! If you find they are going a bit slower than you'd like, move through the field in a calm, controlled manner, try to avoid weaving around manically looking for gaps to get past people.

Re forecast, I was hoping for about 10 degrees, cloudy and dry so if that's right I'll be pleased. Long way out though and I certainly don't want it getting any warmer than that!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Robert. :) I tried to apply for London Landmarks and it sold out instantly - I think I got online within a minute of the entries going live and they were all gone! But then the Big Half was announced so I pounced on that. Glad I did (got to see Mo...) as I didn't realise Landmarks was quite so undulating!
    Forecast looks good. I'd prefer a bit of sunshine but temperature-wise it looks ideal.

Rob - my right calf crapped out on me in January (this after most of the Autumn off with my angry hip) but I was able to run after 1.5 weeks, fortunately. It hasn't bothered me since. I've made sure to wear my calf sleeves though.
    I'm in F (which I was in the first year I ran too) but last year I got allocated to G. Made no difference - I did move forward and noone seemed to give a crap.

Gorgeous sunny but cool day today. Given it's supposed to rain for the next three days I decided to skip the rest day (will probably rest tomorrow instead). Aside from a tight left calf (likewise probaby down to parkrun) my legs were surprisingly good and I averaged 10:25 (with miles 3-5 being in the 10:teens). Hammy got grouchy towards the end so I probably should have stuck with 4 miles but I was enjoying running in an honest to god T-shirt far too much.
  • Rob...  they ask you not to move forward, but I've never noticed anything to stop you doing so in Manchester - no taped off starting pens like you get in some races.

I wouldn't want to be in the back group...  you might be in with people dressed as Mickey Mouse, or get behind large groups of people running together with the only aim to complete the race, have fun and raise money.
  • Northender, oh yes, I didn't spot Rob said he was in furthest back zone. That's probably not so good as you might get 6 hour intended finishers starting at the front of the pen. Ignore what I said Rob, it sounds like you can shift forward a pen with no issues so you should if you can.
  • RobFrostRobFrost ✭✭✭
    Great, thanks for the info, will see if I can push forward a bit especially getting passed people dressed up in all manor of costumes lol
  • Rob, maybe worth keeping a jumper or bin bag on and lose it in the pen, I know London are strict but as others have said they haven't been at Manchester in the past.

Cal you were right to go out yesterday bloody horrible out there today!

Last night did a mile on the treadmill to warm up before did some stretching and some core exercises followed by an Epsom salt bath, legs felt better for it.

Todays 6 miles didn't force the pace but felt sluggish. Trying not to be concerned yet as its only taper mind talk and still got 12 days till we're on the start line! 

• RobFrostRobFrost ✭✭✭
    That's good advice Rob, will do that. Getting to Manchester around lunchtime on that Saturday so going to take a walk from the hotel, premier inn on the quays, and see how long it's going to take me to get to the start line, only think it's a mile or so, first time in Manchester!
  • Rob - the only downside of starting in front of Mickey Mouse and Buzz Lightyear is that it can be very embarrassing if they overtake you :p
  • RobFrostRobFrost ✭✭✭
    NorthEnder - knowing my luck lately that will probably happen and someone will have filmed it, be a YouTube hit lol ?
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Am finally de-lurking on this thread! So nice to see a proper thread going on this one - I used to enjoy the London marathon ones but they seem to have largely bitten the dust now? :/  

I have 12 marathons under my belt but this one looked in doubt after some health niggles in January. I've been training alongside a friend who is doing London and after the fab Gade Valley 20 mile training run on Sunday I can properly commit to doing Manchester :-)

So am on a 2 week taper - which is a new one on me! - but will just take it easy now so that I arrive at the starting line in one piece.

Have really enjoyed listening to all your journeys - hope you don't mind me joining for the home straight?

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

oh - and I have been overtaken by a rhino at about 20 miles at London so can vouch for that being less than ideal!!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Welcome, Gladrags!
    Those WWF rhino suits are brutal! Apparently you need another person to help you into it so good luck if you need the loo!

I did Royal Parks half back in October. I had a charity place, and unfortunately got injured prior. As people had sponsored me, I decided that, rather than drop out, I'd power walk, since the cut-off was generous. One of the fun things was that I got to see a lot of the costumes. I had two stormtroopers and wookie go past while blasting the Imperial March, and not one but two of those inflatable T-Rex costumes, which looked like absolute murder to run in. The best thing was a troop of Morris dancers who danced the entire thing. At least I finished way ahead of them. (I actually walked fast enough that I was passing runners in the later stages - my last mile was sub-13).

Rob - Salford Quays is nice. You can take the tram from there. Just make sure you go to Old Trafford cricket ground, not MUFC! (The Old Trafford tram stop is the cricket ground, which makes it easy).

An easy 4 miles in the rain today. Just a leg loosener, really.
  • Rob, ne careful when finishing the race, have a look around you and make sure you are no where near any fancy dress runners, nothing ruins a photo finish more!

Gladrags welcome! Any race targets? going for a PB?

Cal hope the rain eases!

treadmill as didn't fancy getting wet 10x400m at 10k pace and stepped on the scales and saw the number 12 at the start for the 1st time this year, not ideally where I'd like to be but an improvement!

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

My marathon PB is 4h 22 (can't seem to break away from the 10mm rhythm!) - but I'd be happy with a sub 4h30 this time. Am starting from the pink zone (F?) so I guess that's about right?

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Welcome Gladrags!

All three of my runs this week have been wet, windy and pretty unpleasant. Legs feeling niggly, heavy and generally shit. 11 miles this morning felt like 17! It must be taper time! Just want to get on with it now. Next 10 days are going to be tough mentally as all the doubts start creeping in.

Hope everyone else is fairing better than I am.

• your not alone tom, legs and running feels like shit! getting used to it so not worrying and if for whatever reason it happens on race day nothing I can do about it so no point worrying.

Gladrags, no idea what colour or times the starting pens are for but guessing I put 3.30 for zone C so 3 further back I'd assume would be around that target.

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Taper madness setting in for everyone then?

I usually do a 7 mile interval session with friends on a Thursday morning - am dithering about tomorrow though. Not sure there's any advantage to doing intervals at this stage?

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Gladrags-I never do anything 'fast' in the taper because I just worry that I will undo all the hard work of training by hurting myself. Nothing to be gained from doing them at this stage now anyway I wouldn't have thought.

Robert-I know you are right and there is no point in worrying......what will be will be.....but easier said than done! I have even given up alcohol and caffeine until race day.....not sure this was my brightest idea!

• RobFrostRobFrost ✭✭✭
    My target was a sub 4 but now its to avoid all people in fancy dress lol

Am in Montenegro at the mo and have just come back from the most scenic run I’ve ever done, very tempting not to over do it as I really want to take this tapering seriously, think if I just stick to doing 6 milers then I should be ok, would have been great to do some long distance here but don’t want to mess Manchester up and of course neglect the family! The main thing is my calf is not giving me any trouble so hoping to get to the start line on the 8th full of confidence. Just want to enjoy my first marathon and what Tom13 said...what will be...
  • RobFrostRobFrost ✭✭✭
    Cal - I was hoping just to walk from the hotel to the start line as it doesn’t seem that far?
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    You could walk - just bear in mind it won't be a direct route unless your hotel is right by the bridge. It might be an idea to scout it out the day before. Glad you enjoyed your Montenegro run...especially as Manchester is not particularly scenic. (I'm not hating on Manchester, but the marathon doesn't go through the city centre where the interesting buildings are. It's very suburban. But the crowd support is tremendous, which is why I keep going back).

Gladrags - I'm pink too. I'm hoping to beat last year's 4:29:29 so I'd be happy to run with you for a while at least. I'm considering whether to try and hang with the 4:15 pace for a while (9:43 and a bit min/mi) though I don't expect to maintain it. Looking at last year, I was solidly on 10 min/mi and under until half way, then slowed a bit, then at 20 miles I slowed further to my easy run pace. Honestly I was just glad to finish without walking.
  • Hi All,
    just registered for the forum. Sorry to butt in on the thread. Hope eveeryone is feeling in decent shape for the run on 8th. I wondered if anyone wanted to share a taxi from the Trafford Centre to the race start on race morning. I'm staying at a hotel there.
  • Gladrags, I agree with Tom in regards to there is nothing really to be gained at this point by doing any hard intervals, I did 10x400m @10k pace today which wasn't too heavy (esp compared with last weeks 10x800m) so felt good in comparison.