Manchester Marathon 2018

Comments

• Mrs SJ was spectating waiting for me on tower bridge and took a pic of danger mouse. Coincidentally I overtook DM on tower bridge... When we checked the photos I am clearly visible waving at her unbeknownst to her at the time overtaking said mouse! Never, ever knowingly be beaten by a suit-clad runner, thats my motto :)

I do a little faster stuff during taper just to stop any rust creeping in and keep legs turning over. Also plenty of sleep etc, although I'm doing my best to mess that last point up as work is busy atm.

Ergo, I ran 7 last night with 3x7mins which felt comfortably hard but not eyeballs out.

Legs are still meh having rested them for 3 days after the tough last long run at the weekend. 

Anyone going to commit to a targets list?
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Couldn't duck out of the intervals totally as it's become a Thursday tradition so I just ran 2 of the usual 4-8. Felt fine and had a lovely cool down running home watching the sun rise!

Cal - I'm not sure I can stick with the 4.15 pacer even for a mile if I'm going to make it round the whole thing? But maybe see you somewhere at the start? Chatting definitely helps the miles slip away!

If we are doing a target list then I'll commit to aiming sub 4h30

• Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Rest day today!!! Trying to sleep as sensible as possible too! Legs still feel heavy but will get there, still got a massage to have on tues.

when I set out on Jan 1st I wasn’t ideally where I’d like to be at a bank of training and wasn’t confident of a pb.  Targets have changed since.
    id settle for a pb (3.43.59)
    sub 3.40 would make me happy and sub 3.36 is the best result I can realistically hope for  

in short target 3.39.59
  • shukashuka ✭✭
    My target is going to be 3.45 I think. Done a few halves but never run with a pacer, so interested to see what that'll be like.
  • Welcome to Gladrags and Phil. Hope you've found at least some of the ramblings here useful. There are some knowledgeable runners here and I've found it very helpful to be able to make use of their experience.

Enjoying the more relaxed life of the taper without having to worry about when I'll cram my runs in. Just in time for shit striking fan at work!

My plan still has me doing some pretty hard sessions. Today is down as 7 miles with 3 x 1600 at 5k pace, i.e. a race pace 5k with a rest between each mile. I think doing quicker stuff during the taper is good to sharpen you up and ensure you're still working hard, but not so hard you struggle to recover and I'm worried this might be a little close to be doing something so tough. I might do some 800's instead.

Feeling pretty good at the moment. Legs are fine, I feel fresh and fully recovered from illness a few weeks back and I'm almost at my lightest weight for years, although I had initially hoped to lose a little bit more. After upping the carbs for a few weeks during peak training, I'm just having to make sure I keep diet in check so I don't end up gaining weight during the taper. I'll pick the carbs back up again in a week or so. I'm also giving beetroot shots a go again, despite being unsure of their effectiveness, but I doubt they can do any harm. I picked up 5 bottles to start taking daily from Wednesday. Anyone else use them?
  • Hi guys, hope everyone is feeling fit and well and raring to go. We've had the pleasure of a little sunshine here in the Holme Valley so I've been enjoying my taper runs a little more than the snow enforced treadmill long runs. Starting to feel a little nervous now, this is my third marathon.....first was York 3 years ago 4 hr 42 and loved it, London last year had a viral infection but ran anyway as I had raised a lot of money for charity 5 hr 31 and in hospital the next morning and was very demotivated for a while after. Feeling physically good at the moment, training has gone well and I'm hoping for somewhere around the 4 hr 30 mark, just need to get the nerves under control so I can eat and sleep properly!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Is that P&D, Cotswold? (Incidentally, I don't do beet shots but I do eat beetroot most days. The red pee you get when you're dehydrated after a long run or race can be frightening so be prepared!)

Well, after a day off on Tuesday and an easy 4 yesterday, my legs now feel like crap. Hello taper. I went out to do 6 and, in spite of the lovely sunshine, I had no desire to do more than my minimum 4 mile route. I suppose it could be a delayed reaction the parkrun PB and 18 miler at the weekend. My legs were still nice and springy on Monday (aside from tight calves) but today, well, yuck.

Heidi, sounds like you, me and Gladrags are all around the same time. My best time was 4:29:29 last year, so I hope to beat that. However, that time came after an Autumn season where I'd smashed PBs over 5K, 10K and half marathon, then beat the HM time twice more in February. This time, I'm coming back from injury and haven't done nearly as many long runs. But I did just knock 31 seconds off my 5K time so anything is possible, I guess. I would love to get down to 4:15 but I think that's a better target for Chester in the Autumn. I'd be thrilled with 4:28 in Manchester.
  • I'll compile then... Just copy list and paste into new message if you want to add your prediction... 

I've got nothing but blind faith to base my prediction on. I was going along quite nicely and thought I was running into sub3 shape. That was about 5-6 weeks ago. Since then I've felt decidedly shaky with rubbish legs on most long runs. So I could easily end up running 3.45 but will aim to run for a GFA time. I would have taken that back in January as I hadn't strung a consistent week of training together for over 18 months. 

Gladrags - sub 4h30
    Robert OHara - 3.39.59
    Shuka - 
    Heidi - 
    4h30
    SaintJason - sub 3.15
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

A list of target times -makes it very real!

Taper time is so odd isn't it? Just strolled out to get my lunch and was feeling all kind of niggles which weren't there this morning.... V tempting to just put my feet up until the big day.

Lots of us in the 4h30 zone? I'll have Gladrags written on my vest - be nice to say hello in person!

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the list SJ. I can't copy and paste from my phone so if someone could add me to it I would be very grateful. Tom-Sub 2:45
  • CotswoldRunnerCotswoldRunner ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Cal - yes, P&D 55 mile plan, slightly tweaked.

Mine is definitely a target time and not a prediction. It's been my target from day one with the outside chance I'd go for sub 3h10 but that definitely isn't going to be attempted. I really have no idea if I'll be able to do it or not. I'm just going to set out at target pace and see how long I can keep it up!

Gladrags - sub 4h30
    Robert OHara - 3.39.59
    Shuka - 3.45
    Heidi - 4h30
    SaintJason - sub 3.15
    Tom - sub 2h45
    Cotswold - sub 3h15
  • First time round (if I make it) so would be very happy with sub 5hr. Lurgy gradually clearing up, took it to 18 last Sunday, as far as I've ever run before, 6 last night - first time in my shorts this year. Fit in a Half distance run this weekend then good to go. Number arrived yesterday, still haven't got around to opening it yet.

Gladrags - sub 4h30
    Robert OHara - 3.39.59
    Shuka - 3.45
    Heidi - 4h30
    SaintJason - sub 3.15
    Tom - sub 2h45
    Cotswold - sub 3h15
    Colin 242 - 5.00
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Alright... No guarantees  but here goes.

Gladrags - sub 4h30
    Robert OHara - 3.39.59
    Shuka - 3.45
    Heidi - 4h30
    SaintJason - sub 3.15
    Tom - sub 2h45
    Cotswold - sub 3h15
    Colin 242 - 5.00
    Cal - 4h25
  • RobFrostRobFrost ✭✭✭
    Hi all, I also can’t copy and paste so could someone add me to the list......

Rob F - sub 4
  • <div>
    </div><div>Gladrags - sub 4h30
    Robert OHara - 3.39.59
    Shuka - 3.45
    Heidi - 4h30
    SaintJason - sub 3.15
    Tom - sub 2h45
    Cotswold - sub 3h15
    <span>Colin 242 - 5.00 </span>
    <span>Cal - 4h25
    </span>Rob F - sub 4

The list is growing....</div>
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Coming along nicely now... 

I'm sure you've all been playing with various online calculators (no? Just me then) :)

This is a particularly good one as you can add pos/neg split % in. 

FYI Seems to work with mi rather than miles for some reason. 

https://runcalc.net/#split

• Thanks for the welcome, appreciated.
    My target time is sub-4. It will be 2nd marathon, did 4:12 in London last year, where the first 17m were on target within 10 seconds and after that it changed! Lets see if I repeat that trick!

Gladrags - sub 4h30
    Robert OHara - 3.39.59
    Shuka - 3.45
    Heidi - 4h30
    SaintJason - sub 3.15
    Tom - sub 2h45
    Cotswold - sub 3h15
    Colin 242 - 5.00 
    Cal - 4h25
    Rob F - sub 4
    Phil H - sub 4
  • SJ pretty decent calculator tool you have there. I've been targeting the same paces for a while so pretty knowledgeable of my mile splits at what times I should be and where (unfortunately).

Anyone else seen Manchester Marathons post on FB? Mile 19 challenge, if your 19th mile is faster than your average pace you in the draw for £50 of nutrition products (yup those no one can try).  The comments of FB were brilliant.  A few hours later they have apologized for being idiots and have stopped the completion.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ha, I saw that. Didn't realise they'd pulled it already. Mile 26 I could understand...that would be a challenge and at least people would be able to stop after. But even then I bet you'd see a few Foster collapses. Newbie marathoners aren't usually able to neg split, and I count myself in that group.

SJ - that's a good tool. I expect to pos split as I'm not comfortable over the full distance yet. Last year I was around 10 min/mi and just under until half way. Then it went 10-teens and 20s. By 20 miles I was back at my easy long run pace, but I got to the finish without walking. Plugging in last year's time, the calculator is fairly accurate (I was a little quicker at 20 miles as I had maintained my early speed for longer, but then a bit slower afterwards for a couple of the miles - mile 23 was over 11 but I picked up again towards the end).
    I think the only way, at this point, I could neg split was if I started much slower, and then I'd likely miss my target as there's no chance I'd be able to speed up much by the end as being on my feet for over 4 hours is going to hammer me irrespective of how fast I go.
  • RobFrostRobFrost ✭✭✭
    As there are quite a few of us here at this forum (my first forum by the way!) how much more interesting it would make the run if we were looking out for each other on the day, does this sound realistic considering the numbers Lol just would be nice and make the run more interesting if by chance we were going to bump into one another, not literally!
  • Rob - sounds like a good idea. Like you, I’m targeting sub-4. I’m starting in area/pen D. Will certainly be great to read how everyone gets on in the day or two after.
    Am already feeling impatient as just want to do the race now!  
  • Gladrags - sub 4h30
    Robert OHara - 3.39.59
    Shuka - 3.45
    Heidi - 4h30
    SaintJason - sub 3.15
    Tom - sub 2h45
    Cotswold - sub 3h15
    Colin 242 - 5.00 
    Cal - 4h25
    Rob F - sub 4
    <span>Phil H - sub 4
    Zippykhatru- 4h10

When I signed up last year I put down 4:30 but as the year has gone things have improved. At one point I thought I might make sub 4 but 4hr10 seems more reasonable.
    </span>
  • RobFrostRobFrost ✭✭✭
    Philh1969 - I would be over the moon with sub 4 being my first marathon, feel positive but also understand the last 6 miles are going to be hell, like you I’m getting impatient, think the week building up to it will be the hardest as I’m going to stress about what to eat, sleep and exercise lol
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Last year us Manchester thread posters met up beforehand, in front of the town hall which is right by the cricket ground. If peeps want to do that again, I'm game.

Is anyone else hungry all the time? Argh!
  • Sounds good to me, haven’t given too much thought to what time I’m getting there in the morning yet! have to get the tram from altrincham so will give myself extra time!

hungry all the time yup, did well not to eat all the Easter eggs but tonight had a lot of crap! 6 miles tomorrow easy parkrun Sat then sun or Monday final 10 milers 
  • NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Welcome to the forum newbies.  

I've added my name to the list - also put my running number on, so now you're all going to have to copy-paste all over again so you can add your own numbers :p

Gladrags - sub 4h30
    Robert OHara - 3.39.59
    Shuka - 3.45
    Heidi - 4h30
    SaintJason - sub 3.15
    Tom - sub 2h45
    Cotswold - sub 3h15
    Colin 242 - 5.00 
    Cal - 4h25
    Rob F - sub 4
    Phil H - sub 4
    Zippykhatru- 4h10
    Northender 3.58   number 1848 Pen C

• 6 miles this morning 4 at MP, felt tough but felt fresh so will only take the positives out of it!

other than a couple of cans of Diet Coke been caffine free and alcohol free for 3 weeks! Hope the dedication pays off come race day! 
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Excellent dedication Robert! I was thinking of going alcohol and caffiene free but couldn't resist a beer to celebrate end of term yesterday (I'm a teacher) and have a large cup of coffee in hand as I type this..........oh well!

Threw caution to the wind and did some intervals this morning as felt legs needed freshening up. 9 miles with 4 x 1 mile (5:45, 5:39, 5:37, 5:33) off 30 seconds. Was a bit tentative at first but pleased with progression. Glad I did it as legs loosened up appreciably.

Have a Good Friday!
  • I've not had a drink all year! Longest period of abstinence by quite a way. It's my birthday on Tuesday as well!

Unfortunately, I'm the kind of personality that can't just have one drink so I have to knock it on the head altogether. I'll certainly be enjoying a few drinks as soon as I get home from Manchester though.

Rob, caffeine free just doesn't even seem possible to me! I love it way too much but then, I don't think it causes me any issues. I very rarely have any after about 3 in the afternoon and never, ever after 4.

Good intervals there Tom. Your final mile is not far off my fastest ever single mile and that nearly killed me.

Yesterday, instead of the prescribed 3 x 1600 at 5k pace, I decided to do my clubs monthly Strava challenge which this month is a 1.5 mile loop. First half is mostly downhill so of course, you have to make that up again in the second half, which is a real killer. Did it at a little bit quicker than 5k pace, although I wish I'd committed more in the first half as I was saving a bit for the uphill but I don't think I needed to, as hard as it was. Still, 25 seconds quicker than last year so can't complain too much.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    What is the advantage of giving up caffeine, then? Alcohol I understand (fortunately not one of my vices...I can take it or leave it) but I love my coffee.

Some excellent running from everyone.

I had a rest day yesterday yet I now have a pain in my foot, and I woke up feeling as though I was getting a cold (I think I was just dehydrated - I'd finished the pint of water I keep by the bed during the night). I'm chalking it up to maranoia.

I did parkrun anyway, opting for another new one, Burgess Park, as it's not awful to get to and my club uses it once a month to test fitness/speed.

Much like last week I went out hard and tried to hang on. It's a nice fast course but maybe not quite as fast as the Victoria Docks course so I was a little slower (25:34) but that's still my second fastest 5K and proves last week was not a fluke. Got the age cat win too (although there was a very serious looking 60-something lady 25 second ahead of me, so I'm not going to crow about that too much).

I'm going to take the rest of my running a lot easier now. We're only a week away after all.