Manchester Marathon 2018

Comments

• Tom, usually I allow a few drinks and not been that strict on being caffine free but I needed to lose a few lbs so every little helps.

Cotswold great effort on the booze, I once went 3 months and that was tough especially as being a live in manager of a proper boozer (that would have a few lock ins till the silly hours, soda and becks blue didnt cut it.

Cal, nice to know last week wasnt a one off.  Had a late night after being round mums and without an alarm slept past parkrun o clock but not too fussed was only going to do a new one slowly which is fairly hilly.

As for the caffine, only reason why I abstain is when I take the gels on race day hope that I feel the boost.  Also if it stops me from drinking cans of fat coke that I guzzle in one go! a wasted 130 calories when a glass of water would be just as refreshing and more beneficial.

Due to lying in another rest day, needed to catch up on my open uni degree which I've left over the last few weeks and have a new module starting soon.  10-12 slow miles planned for tomorrow and then just a few runs between 2-6 miles planned for next week and a massage on Tuesday!
  • If any of you have done Manchester Marathon in the past, any suggestions for time to first arrive? Was thinking to arrive for 8am to allow time to give in my kit bag, have a short warm up, loo and to start. Staying at Premier Inn at Trafford Centre so am banking on a taxi will get me somewhere fairly close/walkable as the hotel about 3.5 miles away. Thanks.
    Going to get 8-10 miles in on Sunday morning, then will just do a couple of 4 milers in the week.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    8am is fine, philh.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Got out for 10 miles today. Had originally planned 12 but my legs were tired from parkrun so I decided not to over-egg the pudding, so to speak. Got it done, then hot bath, protein shake and hot cross bun.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Happy Easter everyone! Don't eat too many eggs today-save them for next Sunday Afternoon!

Just found out that it is the Manchester derby next Satursay evening and if city win they will be champions. Could be alot of celebrations into the night which might make sleeping difficult for anyone in hotels nearby! Great-something else to add to the maranoia list!

I was naughty thus morning and did 15 miles when I was inly supposed to do 13. Weather was lovely and I was feeling pretty good so carried on a bit. Poor discipline I know.

Every time I check the weather forecast it is getting a bit warmer which is a concern to me.....maranoia again but I much prefer running when it's cold particularly when racing. Oh well, what will be will be.

1 week to go!!
  • Cal good thinking for not going too far when tired.

Tom I ate a fair bit of chocolate early last week then looked at the calories on 5e back of the box and then stopped!  Another reason why I decided to stay away from Manchester and opted for Altrincham due to the derby.  Doesn’t seem to be getting too warm where I’m looking long may that continue.

11.4 miles for me today steady paced 8.50 (30 secs slower than Mara pace) felt okay and legs felt fresh enough. One week to go!
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    Sounds like everyone’s doing really well?

i did 7 miles yesterday - on the treadmill because of the rain- but it felt great. Fingers crossed!

i’m staying with family nearby so will aim to get dropped off at about 8. I quite like some time before a race to soak up the atmosphere before starting.
  • Good afternoon everyone. Have been searching where to stay for the marathon next week (a bit late I know haha) and found this forum so thought I'd sign up and say hey.

Me and my wife will be coming up - leaving the three kids with grand parents - and are torn where to stay.
    We have
    a)walking distance hotels - copthorne Salford quays/hotel football old Trafford or premier inn old Trafford
    b|) Altrincham hotels as advised in this thread and catch the tram - little anxious about the tram tbh
    c) if we're getting the tram anyway why not picadilly area plush hotels to make a weekend of it.

we are going around in circles haha

training has gone ok ish. had two weeks off due to knee niggles but that coincided with the snow anyways ha.only previous marathon was Cornwall nov 2017 which was a baptism of hills hills and more hills. good fun though - only 450 runners.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Hi Mark, welcome. I would recommend staying in Altrincham (as I have done previously with family and again doing so this year) and getting the tram. Nothing to be anxious about in my experience.
  • RobFrostRobFrost ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone and happy Easter ? it’s hard to imagine that this time next week it will all be over but hoping we will all be happy with our times, have done all I can now and now just concentrating on my diet for the final week, interesting hearing everyone’s thoughts regarding caffeine and alcohol, what works with me is cutting out alcohol the final week and now will try caffeine as I’m hearing sleep is an important factor leading up to the marathon, but all in all I feel good and ready to go, the end of the day it’s my first marathon and I’m going to bloody well enjoy it (probably not the last 6 miles)

Am planning on getting up at 6, breakfast shortly after, main arena by 8, any tips would be hugely appreciated!
  • Altrincham for me too. Saves the hassle of driving into Manchester on derby day and I can just jump on a tram Sunday morning. I think they're pretty reliable from past experience.

I never pay much attention to long range forecasts as they're rarely completely right. Does look like it's warming up towards end of week though, so hopefully it doesn't go too far. I too prefer running in cooler temps. About 8-10 degrees is generally pretty good.

12 miles for me this morning. Legs felt fresh and I had a job keeping the pace down. Ended up going a tiny but faster than planned overall but not too much. Had a couple of twinges behind my right knee toward the end which I'm mildly concerned about but I'm sure nothing will come of it.

I've been very diligent with my diet over the last few weeks. I've certainly not been starving myself but I've eaten absolutely no rubbish at all so I decided to have a day off that today for Easter. Haven't gone completely mad but had pudding and some (quite a lot of!) chocolate. Still no booze though. Can't give in now!
  • Rob from what I’ve seen you have trained well, seems like you’re preparing well too.  Just the normal stuff don’t do anything new, you may not sleep well on Saturday due to nerves so make sure you get the full sleep on thurs/fri.  Really concentrate at the start of the race, if you feel good early don’t be fooled to creep up the pace, stay steady and enjoy feeling good the feeling may not last lol 
  • RobFrostRobFrost ✭✭✭
    Cheers Rob, appreciate the advice, good luck to you too!
  • I'm injured and can't take part anymore, the consultant shot down running it in a heartbeat. Good luck everyone else
  • Tough luck Charlotte.  Hope you're back before too long.
    I let myself go today eating an entire Easter egg.  I've done really well in recent weeks though.  Lost some blubber.

Arriving around 8 on race day for me too.  Had not realised it was such a massive football weekend but staying with relatives so should be ok.

Warm temperatures would suit me nicely. But it would be selfish for me to wish for them!
  • Rob Frost - nothing to add that you wouldn’t have read or know already..eat Carbs for the 2-3 days before, though normal size portions. Wear an old jumper or suchlike that you’re happy to ditch at the start. 
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Rob Frost-main thing is to try and enjoy the experience as much as possible. As it's your first it will be a PB whatever happens! Soak it all up......

Bad luck Charlotte-hope you recover soon.

Race week is finally here-gulp!! How's everyone feeling?
  • Feeling the bulk of my training was a long time ago! Still 40 miles 3 weeks out and 30 miles last week.  Prob has to do with the 4 day weekend and having a lot of downtime when I’d normally be training.  Main thing is keeping away from the food in the house
  • Hotel all booked - obviously went against the advice :wink: now just itching to get on with it. Still unsure what pace I'm going to go for - but definitely going for a negative split. any of you planning the same?

I'm determined to hold back the reigns at the start and ramp things up around half way
  • Hi folks, just making final plans for getting to the start line from Altringham tram stop. Any advice would be gratefully received. Good luck & enjoy the results of your hard training.
  • Hi all,

First time poster but whilst restless during my final week of tapering thought I'd join in.

My second marathon having fallen apart in Amsterdam last year because I hadn't done the miles in training (just one 20 mile run) & an excessive summer lifestyle. Was comfortably on for 3.25 until I crashed at 20 & finished in 3.45.

Looking to do 3.15 Sunday. I've been averaging 50 miles a week with 5 or 6 20-22 mile runs this time. Including a 20 mile race 5 weeks ago that I used as a training run (10 @ 7.40, 5 @ 7.15 & 5 @ 7.00).

Ive gone for a 3 week taper which I'm a little nervous about but I'm confident I won't have a repeat of last year in the final few miles providing I don't get sucked along. 
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

Everyone seems to be doing quite well in this crazy taper period?

My training has been all over the place after a mixed up January - but I have done an 18 and a 20 miler so should be fine to get round on Sunday.

My top tip is to allow plenty of time - there always seems to be lots to do (toilet queues, bag drop, more toilet queues!) and I quite like that time before hand, chatting to other runners and slowly gearing up.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Welcome Chippy. I think we're all a bit restless or taper-crazy.
    I took a complete rest yesterday (I felt pretty crappy, honestly) - ate lots of carbs, had a nap...although I did go out for a 2 mile walk in the morning just so my legs wouldn't seize up.
    Felt a hell of a lot better today. I did 4 miles plus 5 x strides and then had a good old stretch. I'm avoiding yoga this week as they tend to do too much hamstring stretching (I have a persistant case of high hamstring tendinopathy, and stretching is just the worst thing for it).
    I feel more positive now. I did have a bit of stress at the weekend. I am staying with a friend in Manchester and we were going to go out on Monday so I booked a train back for Tuesday. Then (as he's a temporary van driver) he got some work for Monday so I had to change my ticket. Fortunately that proved more straightforward than expected so I'm now a little calmer. I generally don't stress out about stuff but the taper madness had got to me a bit... Anyway I'm going back on the 5.15pm train to London so if anyone's on that train, let me know. (I'll probably try to sleep, mind you...)
  • That looks like ideal preparation to me Chippy. I'll be aiming for same target and having completed the distance a few times now I would concur with your assessment of not getting carried away early doors. 

In fact, I will be aiming for a first mile or two at slower than my goal pace. This way I cruise the first couple of miles and it's an investment for later on. Thats not to say hitting goal pace from the off is wrong. All my PBs were are goal pace or faster from the off. I'm not PB chasing this time so will be more conservative, the idea being to try and enjoy it. 

Have eaten far too much chocolate, could resist. Have had plenty of rest and only limited running. Ran 12 easy miles on Sunday and decided on my goal pace. No point killing myself tbh with the way things have gone this campaign. 

Hearing you on the tight hammy's Cal, mine are almost guaranteed to go between miles 23-25 as they have done the last three marathons I've done.
  • Hi everyone, not long to go now. I could have done without the madness of Easter weekend, had my brother and his family staying before he emigrates to Australia next week. Too many late nights, far far too much chocolate and haven't done any training since an easy 60 minutes on Saturday! Feel very tired and generally under the weather so really hoping a few early nights and good food will sort me out. Sports massage booked for tomorrow and some easy jogging and stretching for the rest of the week. Driving to Manchester on Sunday morning and parking at MUFC still not sure what time to set off from Holmfirth.
    Hope everyone has a stress free few days and enjoys the build up to race day!!
  • <span>Hi folks, just making final plans for getting to the start line from Altringham tram stop. Any advice would be gratefully received. Good luck & enjoy the results of your hard training.</span>
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Kev, Alty's on the same leg of the tram that Old Trafford is. It's straightforward. I think it's only 6 stops of something. And Old Trafford *is* the cricket ground (not MUFC). The stop is right by it.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Final sharpener done in the rain this morning. 8 miles with 5k at MP. Lefs felt quite heavy, certainly not as fresh as I would like and it was quite hard work. Probably maranoia creeping in again but definately not a confidence booster!

Not long now-hope everyone is well.
  • Have been in touch with Manchester Metrolink on twitter re tram times, as website travel planner wasn't working. They've confirmed trams from Altrincham to OT start at 7am Sunday morning and are every 12 minutes. The journey takes about 13 minutes. There's an app called get me there, that you can use to pay for journeys, which I may do to avoid any potential hold ups at ticket machines.

Definite maranoia for me. I've got some sore spots by right groin and behind right knee that I'm worrying about. Supposed to do 7 miles with 2 at MP today but I may not bother with the MP bit if it seems too risky. I just want to rest my legs as much as I can now.

Also, had my first beetroot shot today and let's just say the results have been explosive, meaning I'm delaying my run from this afternoon to this evening just in case. Had planned to have one each morning up to race day but not sure if that's a good idea now. I might take tomorrows and, if same result, give them up as a bad idea.
  • Kev, it takes about 15 mins from Altrincham on the tram, I'm going to aim to leave about 7.30-7.40 depending on breakie.

Cal, miss you on the train, leaving Stockport about 1pm on Monday.

An easy weekend for me and massage yesterday, 6 miles easy effort today done with 5 miles planned for tomorrow may inc a couple of miles at MP then to Manchester on Friday and Stretford Parkrun on Saturday.

Seems tapermania has got a hold of some of us.  Just need to believe I have done enough and if I haven't I cant help that now.  I am concerned looking at two previous marathon attempts cramping at mile 24 and 25 and missing my pb due to having to walk, just hope I can stay cramp free.  Am trying to stay hydrated now in prep and have a hydration tab ready at half way point.

Still doing well caffine and booze free for 4 weeks come race day, looking forward to a few beers after.  No plans yet just see how I feel on the day.