Manchester Marathon 2018

Comments

• saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Carded my longest run since Mcr '15 today with 13.1 miles in the freezing cold. Brings my total this week up to 40 miles. Which in itself is most miles in a week since same race in 2015.

Legs coping okay but need more miles before add in anything harder at the moment. A few more weeks getting up to 50+ mpw should help.

Cal - looking to possibly do Blackpool half in February as a first tester run. I don't think it will be especially fast but will get the legs moving and will be a good early indicator prior to Wilmslow which is 4 weeks before Mcr.

• Boston is claiming to be the flattest marathon in the UK!
  • Well done, saintjason. I managed 10 on Friday and then 7 today. Getting there slowly. I just have to resist the temptation to push too far too soon.
    Blackpool - could be windy!
  • Into second week of training for me after a fairly leisurely first week of 35 miles easy running. Am doing P&D 12 week 55 miles schedule that I've added a couple of extra weeks in to, to make up to the 14 weeks I had before the race. I could have started an 18 week schedule at the beginning of December but having done an ultra mid November I thought it would serve me better to take it easy for the rest of the year and just tick over at 20-25 miles a week. Past experience of how December tends to pan out told me that I was unlikely to be able to stick to a rigid high mileage plan anyway.

Thanks to a very consistent 2017, I'm starting training in pretty good shape (xmas gluttony and a cough/cold aside) so looking forward to stepping it up over the coming weeks. One thing I have identified this week that I need to work on, is making sure I run the easy runs easy as if I don't concentrate I tend to pick up the pace without realising.
    edited January 2018
    Cal - Nice to see mileage inching up too. Blackpool is always windy and snowing last time I did it so won't be fast. I won't be troubling my very old PB anyway. 

CR - I doing same P&D schedule as you. I'm repeating week 1 this week as I too started a wee bit too early. How have you adjusted it? I've mainly stuck a few more 20+ Lsr in there as the schedule is a bit light on those. 

Ditto on the easy runs. I've been using a HRM for this very reason. Forces you to run slow. I've typically run easy runs too hard in the past too. 

Sounds like you are coming into this campaign in decent shape. Sadly, not the same for me so taking this race as it comes and not worrying too much about times just yet.
  • Heh, despite being a soft southerner I know Blackpool well on account of my other hobby being riding rollercoasters. I'm well acquainted with that bloody wind off the Irish Sea! Good luck with it, anyway - I'm doing my first half at Hampton Court. I got a PB there last year but I doubt I'll be close to it this time due to having so much injury downtime.
    On the plus side, I put in another 10 miler today so I should have the endurance for it if not the speed.
  • Looks like everyone making starts on their plans.

Last week hit 46 miles which was the longest since Oct, I have decided to really watch what I eat after the weekend (using up all the food in the freezers before I refill with veg).  Just need to cut carbs and eat sensibly not not snack on crap!

A failed interval run on the dreadmill this morning (did 4 of 6 1k reps) wasn't a great start to the week but hope to get another 40 miles in.

Have booked trains up Friday and back Monday and 3 nights in Altrincham Travelodge (easy to get about by tram).  May do a parkrun on the Saturday somewhere nr Manchester.

• I've done two in Manchester - Stretford and South Manchester. Both are flat. I'd caution against Heaton Park as apparently it has a big hill in it. Not what you want the day before a marathon!
  • cheers for the heads up, will prob be stretford looking at access with the trams.  Depends how late and how tired I am after Friday night, planning to go to a comedy club in Manchester.
    edited January 2018
    Heaton Park does indeed have the aptly named Heartbreak Hill at 4km! It's my closest parkrun and I've done it a few times... Definitely not a PB course unless you are at the sharp end and well trained, some people run very quick there. 

Officially week 1 of schedule so 8miles with 10x100m sprints tonight. Good to get legs moving quickly although overall pace still ploddy. 

Robert - ditto on the diet front. Reached a lifetime high prior to Xmas. Cutting out the beer and trying to eat more veg/protein. Going well so far and even stopped the snacking on sugary treats. 

You wouldn't believe what is next to my desk at work... Piles of Tunnocks tea cakes, caramel bars, left over biscuits bought in by co-workers... I've dodged it all so far.

• Ah, P&D 12 week plan, saintjason? Had a look at that today and decided it wouldn't be smart to do it while coming out of the injury zone. May try it for Chester in the Autumn, though.
  • Yes P&D 12/55 although I have tweaked it to include more 20 milers. I tend to stick to it fairly well but invariably change stuff as I go along. I've always needed miles in the legs in the past so focus more on that than out-and-out speed. 

I think I messed up my white-board transcript from the book and couldn't be bothered re-writing it all again so I am a week early (I think) so added another week in somewhere :) Hatchet job basically. For example, ran 40 miles last week but week 1 is only 35.. will probably add a 5 mile easy run in somewhere just to do 40 again. 
  • Yeah, we're 13 weeks out, but that's fine - you can get an extra 20 in there, or it'll give you some leeway in case life gets in the way, you get a cold or a niggle.
    Did 6 easy today - first time I've run two days in a row since my injury. Body as a whole was quite grumpy but I also slept poorly last night (ordered a new mattress when I woke up, which I hope will help!)
  • my body clock is all over the place, last year my spring marathon was MK (May 1st) year before Kent Roadrunner (End may) trying to train properly in Jan is hard work.

After yesterdays failed intervals got out for a gentle 6 miles earlier.  Need to keep on forcing myself out to run and hopefully a bit of sensible eating will result in weight loss and help make the training easier (currently 13st 6 need to lose half a stone just to feel normal and ideally a stone before Manchester) 

• Jason - I just added in a couple of weeks from the 18 week plan - an extra week in both mesocycle 1 and 2 from memory. Similar to you, I have also upped an 18 miler to a 20 miler a bit later on as I was surprised to see how few 20's were in the plan.

I didn't manage to get the 10x100m strides done at all last week. I didn't feel up to it at the end of the 8 mile GA so just thought I'd do them at end of the 9 miler but I had to then cut that short becuase of an urgent need to get home to the bathroom! Oh well.

First Lactate Threshold run done today, which I was looking forward to initially but then kind of dreading as I've been knackered today after a crap night's sleep. It actually wasn't too bad, although I did cheat and did 2 x 2m rather than 4 straight through. I keep telling myself it's early days!

Rob, like you, I need to shift the Christmas weight and then a bit more before the race and Cal, like you, I'm considering a new mattress!
    edited January 2018

Cal - funny you mention new mattress... I've been tracking sleep with a recently purchased Polar M430. I'm not sure if it's accuracy but my sleep is very intermittent apparently. I'm convinced it's the very lumpy mattress.

Robert - I know what you mean re weight and needing to lose some ballast. I'm plodding a lot of miles at a slower pace for conditioning and fat burning. You burn more % of fat at slower speeds. I'm trying to remain positive and patient. Speed and weight loss should occur naturally.

CR - I didn't think to do that re add some weeks from the longer form version of the schedule. Good thinking also with the 2 X 2miles - I will probably adopt that next week.. 4 miles at some kind of half marathon pace is gonna be rough for me... My HM time is 2 years old so meaningless. I think I will go for a heart rate rather than pace for now. As long as it's comfortably hard I think it amounts to same thing - tempo training.

Had a sore ankle since Tuesdays 8 miler with the strides.. felt sore speed-walking for the tram to and from work. Anyway, tested tonight in what should have been 9 GA but ended up 10 miles as ankle was good and since I had run extra slow as a precaution I felt good to plod on for another 8-9 mins. Still a bit sore now so some ibuprofen and monitor it. 

Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

• Good to see others have started their training.

Mine was going really well but I have had a niggle in my right hip which turned quite painful during running club training on Wednesday. So I have taken the decision to take a week off running to try and rest it a wee bit. I always struggle with a tight IT bandswhich I think is the cause so i will be getting stuck into the foam roller and stretches with a sports massage booked for Monday. Hopefully the above helps. Figures crossed.
  • Sounds like TFL, Zippy - that's what stopped me from running most of the Autumn. It got bad enough that I had to get a cortisone shot. Hopefully it's nothing like as bad for you. TFL sits at the top of the IT band and attaches to the iliac crest and it can get overworked if the glutes aren't doing their job properly (which happens to most of us because we sit on our bums all day). So, lots of glute exercises and regular foam rolling for you, I reckon.
    Did a parkrun today - time was nothing special but it was my best time since coming back from injury, so there's that.
  • Zippy - Sorry to hear you have picked up a niggle. Best of luck with the foam roller/stretches and fizz. 

Cal - nice result at the parkrun. I want to go do Heaton park (with the aforementioned hill) but am saving that for when I am a little stronger. 

15 for me this afternoon at a leisurely 3 hour mara pace + 2 minutes ! Doesn't sound so bad when I write like that. Obviously it felt pretty comfortable at that pace and 15 miles 4 weeks ago would have been unthinkable so some sort of progress. 

• Thanks Cal, that is pretty much how I self diagnosed it. Hopefully it’s not as bad as your injury was. Mine feels like it has improved a lot since Friday. (It doesn’t hurt to walk up/down stairs now :-))

I’ve done a lot of stretching and foam rolling the last few day so I need to continue that. It’s always something I run out of time to do so that needs to change along with some glute exercises like u say.

Sounds like your heading back in the right direction with your parkrun time.
  • Thanks Zippy and well done on the 15, saintjason.
    I went out today with a rough idea about doing 12 miles (10 had been my longest since injury) and ended up doing 13.1. Fairly hilly route, too. The best bit was that I felt strong towards the end, enough that the last three miles were the fastest (with the last being the fastest overall). Did some relaxing Yin yoga afterwards and feel more or less OK.
  • Well done all and hope you get the hip sorted zippy.

15 for me early on sunday at about MP + 50s. Felt nice and comfortable. I feel like the little bit of fitness I lost over Christmas with the bad diet and cough/cold is starting to return, which is pleasing. I've got a hilly, off-road half marathon this Sunday, instead of the 16 miles w.10 at MP that the plan says so I think I'll try and get there early for a long warm up and then go all out for the race. Hopefully, the lack of tarmac should mean I'll recover fairly quickly. I'll need to as the week after is a biggy, jumping up to 48 miles, with a 5 mile threshold mid week and 17 mile long run at the end. I think I'll be needing the recovery week that comes after that!
  • I'm stepping off this thread.  Have done the last 3 Manchesters and intended to make it my 'A' race again this year, but a bad dose of the flu leaves me not quite enough time to do it justice.   I will do the new Newport marathon - reportedly similar flatness to Manchester...  it just gives me a crucial extra 3 weeks to get ready.

Good luck everyone...  I'll come back if I change my mind!
  • Cotswoldrunner hope the diet/ nutrition is going well! Embrace the 48 mile week it'll give you a good indication how your fitness is and how you recover.

Saintjason sounds like you're ankle is better, well done on the long run.

Zippy hope the injury subsides and you can get some decent training in.

Cal great parkrun and brill getting in longer miles than expecting, huge mental boost and those hills will help make Manchester nice and easy!

Northender a sensible choice and probably a tough decision, running marathons are a hard thing, and need to be as fit as possible to make them enjoyable.  May have a look at Newport as well as Boston for alternatives as they also have 10k and halfs respectively for Mrs R.

32 miles last week which included a 15 miler too fast on Saturday (8.32 pace) left me tired and wasn't able to get my butt off the couch on Sunday to do a trail run.  Hope this week will see my 1st double long run weekend and run approx. 45-48 miles for the week. 

Stepped on the scales on Monday and weighed in 13st 6.  I was 12 stone 10 when I ran Atlantic Coast Challenge in October!!!  Next few weeks will be tough fuelling runs and less food in the engine but hope it will result in me being able to train smarter at the business end of the plan.

• Robert, thanks. I'm aiming for a 15 on Sunday but I'll see how I feel on the day. The hills are more with Liverpool in mind which I'm running 6 weeks after Manchester. Last year I managed to get injured in between the two so while I managed a PB in Manchester, I lost quite a bit of fitness during my downtime and then struggled at Liverpool (still enjoyed it though - it's a fun race, as much as a marathon can be considered fun).
    Six miles this morning - went a bit quicker than intended but I think the fact I wasn't plodding round on dead legs is a postive sign.
    New mattress arrived today too, so hopefully I will sleep better now and wake with fewer aches.
  • Enjoy the 15, I seem to enjoy the longer runs as it gives you the confidence for race day.  Heard good things about Liverpool and did consider for this year but opted for a 50 miler a week or two before ruling out that idea. 

• Cal - nice long run there and feeling good at the end is the way I like to run any session. So much better than dying for the last few miles and wishing it was over. Hope the mattress reaps rewards. 

Cotswold - nice 15 and at a great pace too. Hope the hilly off-road half goes well at the weekend - which one is that? 

NorthEnder - good luck with getting back up to full strength. 

Robert - I ran the 13 I did two weeks ago too fast in the middle miles and paid for it. Really trying hard to focus on taking these long runs a little easier as recovery counts for a lot. I don't want to talk about weight. I'm struggling shedding anything and eating everything despite my best intentions. 

The oddity that is week 2 of 12/55 P&D 8 miles with 4 at half mara pace was tonight's session. Miraculously I managed to get the effort done before the sleet and hail I endured in the cool-down. No idea what my half pace is as haven't run one for almost 2 years so opted for 170 bpm. Turns out this was sufficiently hard enough as averaged 6:57 per mile for the 4 miles at bang on 170 bpm average. Felt like hard-work but stuck it out and felt good for it. 

11 miles on Thursday - hope the weather improves. 
  • Weather's not bad in London - cold and a bit blowy though. I got 10 miles done today, averaging 10:21 and with the fastest miles at the end. I seem to be regaining my stamina. My marathon PB is a shade under 4:30 - what with the injury I think Manchester may come a little soon for me to break it but I'm trying to stay optimistic. I've other chances at Liverpool and Chester, anyway.
  • Cal - nice work on the 10. I've almost run Chester on a couple of occasions, injured so DNS both times. Good race?

11 tonight in decent conditions tbf. Rubbish sleep last two nights due to high winds rattling the windows. I think that contributed to feeling a tiny bit tired tonight. 
  • saintjason, know the poor sleep only too well.... the dog has been allowed on the bed far too much recently and makes for an uncomfortable nights sleep a lot of the time.

Cal well done on the 10, fast miles at the end of longer runs are good to have.

8 miles Wednesday at a steady pace felt okay but the 5 miles last night felt tough, not a fan of running in the dark nor running at 8.30pm after dinner but they are miles in the bank and did allow me to have a snack before bed.

Sticking to the clean eating on day 5 now, OH crashed and burned last night with a pack of Jaffa cakes and a bottle of red wine.  Plan if I wake up early enough is to run about 16 miles tomorrow (inc 4 laps of parkrun and the 4th starting at 9am) then a slow 10-13 miles on sunday.