Options

Deformed toenail - help!

I know that from time to time we runners get black toenails, but in my case I've got a black toenail that's now getting progressively thicker and thicker that it's starting to remind me of a rhino horn.  There's no sign of looseness, and (most of the time) it doesn't really hurt, but as it continues to thicken I start to worry about it all going horribly wrong in my forthcoming marathon or at some other equally inconvenient time.

Has anyone else had this particular symptom, and did it continue to get worse?  Or did you get it seen to?

The toe itself started to turn black in January, and has progressively thickened to the extent that it now catches on socks or my less roomy shoes.  It doesn't look at all like falling off though.

Yours, embarrassingly, 

Ug Lee Foote.

Comments

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you may have a new nail growing under the damaged one, which may eventually fall off.  Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do about it other than keeping it trimmed (not too low, and always straight across).  You can buy nail softening creams if it gets difficult to cut.

And avoid "less roomy shoes".
  • Options
    Laurent DLaurent D ✭✭✭
    It's either wait and see, but as you say it may come loose at an inopportune moment, or zip up the man suit and reach for the pliers.