Do you 'warm up' prior to your runs?

I've read from research that stretching has proven to have no positive impact on a runners ability to run and that stretching in general doesn't minimise the risk of injury. 

Now, up until this spring/summer season I always stretched and now I no longer do, and noticed no negative change to my running overall. I am currently getting over a knee injury however. 

When I go out for a run I usually have a slower first mile and then gradually build the pace up, maybe start with an 12 minute mile and then go to 10 minute mile etc; I feel like this works well for me, however I want to know whether what I'm doing is right? 

I have been running for over 12 months on and off now so not a newbie by any stretch. Any feedback would be appreciated.  

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    If it's a race then I'll try to go for a warm up mile before the start other than that I do the same as you easy start to the run & hopefully increase pace.
  • I would religiously dynamic stretch before and static stretch after every run. I was injury free for 2 years and ran a 4 hour marathon (on a hilly and tough course)

Since having a break and coming back I barely stretch and have not felt any difference in performance. I am however slower these days as I am only running long distance trail.

Conclusion: I have also found stretching to not noticeably change my performance however as I am an amateur and a relatively slow runner I don't think its benefits would ever bear any great significance (in time).
  • If it is a training run and you go off slowly there is no need to stretch. In the winter I tend to go off a bit faster to warm up quicker, so in these cases I do a little dynamic warm up (swinging legs rather than holding stretches).
    Jog for a mile then stop and stretch before you do any speed/intervals.
    Good luck!
    Jake Fricker (Author of "I am a Runner" and qualified coach)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AM-RUNNER-marathon-months-training/dp/1520530323/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488549043&sr=8-1&keywords=i+am+a+runner

PB’s
    5k- 19:03
    10k- 39.28
    HM- 1:28.25
    M- 3:07.59
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    I walk quicky for about half a mile while doing dynamic stretches. Then do a slow half mile jogging then run! I do however do lots of body balance classes which make a massive difference to keeping running form after about three miles.