Race for life 10K Edinburgh: review

LiliaceaLiliacea ✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in Events
I took part in the Race for Life Edinburgh 10k yesterday morning. It was my first race in ages and probably not one I should have done considering I only had one recent 10k run in nearly a year due to health reasons. Also had health problems the previous night, and when getting up, and it looked like I would not be participating at all that day. But I felt I had to do this for my mom, who had died of cancer earlier this year. Short before the start I finally started to feel better again.

Anyway, the organisation looked well enough when arriving there. I was a bit uncertain about the course, but as the description mentioned going over one hill only I felt I might manage it. People were put into three starting groups: runners, joggers and walkers. Then things started to go somewhat wrong.

The 1k marker was also the 6k marker. Oh, so it's not one lap around Arthur's Seat and then through the nearby area but two laps? That's two hills then, not one, and much more elevation gain I'd ever attempted (one of my problems is related to going/running uphill). Ok. This marker was also placed about 100m too early. The 2/7k marker was also off, the 3/8k marker was 300m too early. Interestingly, the 4/9k marker came in 500m too late and there was no steward for way over 1km between those two, on a steep downhill section. I finished the first round and noticed the course was also too long. The winner came in together with me (well, she had done two laps at that time, and me only one) and looked extremely unhappy about her time while the presenter kept on talking about new personal best. In the end I finished after running 10.66km. :s Oh well, there were no bibs, and it's not in any way official. Still a shame as it could have been much better.

On the plus side I survived :)
Tagged:

Comments

• Well done for finishing.  I seem to recall that their 5K events aren't promised to be exactly 5k either.  I don't think that's a biggie - it's not as if that's the main aim of the day.
    What did surprise me was that unless you raise additional funds - just your race entry wouldn't help fight cancer.  They seem to have a lot of costs for a race that's not really a race. 
  • LiliaceaLiliacea ✭✭✭
    cougie said:
    Well done for finishing.  I seem to recall that their 5K events aren't promised to be exactly 5k either.  I don't think that's a biggie - it's not as if that's the main aim of the day.
    What did surprise me was that unless you raise additional funds - just your race entry wouldn't help fight cancer.  They seem to have a lot of costs for a race that's not really a race. 
    Thanks a lot :) I am proud that I managed to finish. For me it was not about fighting cancer (well, it's important) but basically my mom said she will support me all the way through when I ever do a race again, which meant a lot to me*. Unfortunately she died just a few days later, very unexpectadly. I felt I had to do a race.. and well.. with this emotional backpack I felt there might be many more people who will understand me. I did raise a bit of money as well though.

* I'm just a slow runner for no idea what reason. My father has similar health issues and doesn't understand that I do sports at all. And for my sister running only starts at a half at close to 2 hours. So my mom was my only family encouragement.