P&D Autumn Marathon 2017

Comments

• Looks like a tough run at the end NE but the axis isn't helping, impressive geekery though, you'll give Spoons a run for his money. 

Similarly HA, I am doing my last race in my Asics DS Racers, think they're around 180g and offer good cushioning, I may just get another pair of those. I've been looking at the ON Cloud shoes but they are pretty expensive too.

Commute double today. Outward bound was a bit of a trudge 7:2x and I got a weird pain in my heal that brought me to a halt but post a bit of stretching it seemed to go. Hammys tight but operational.
  • Good luck for the XC today Macca!

Spoons - I'm going to try as hard as possible to be sensible. If I run flat out I know I won't be happy with my time right now so I just need to remember that in the opening miles..

Reg - I'm not sure I put that 2.39. But that's ridiculously optimistic at the moment. Definitely treating Amsterdam as a training run so it certainly won't happen there. Nice MP, just give those legs a bit more time to recover properly. 

NE - looks slightly painful.. 

HA - good luck for the last double day. Get it done and then put the feet up; how much do you get for winning Abingdon?

Nice MP running Steve. 

I've also signed up for Wokingham along with Katie. Should be a great thread day out.

Still not quite right sickness wise, but improving day on day, feeling nearly back to normal but not quite. As I've harked on about for a while, I'm not physically or mentally ready for a hard marathon this weekend, so I want to train through this week and next, treating Sunday as a harder than usual longer run. Will look to go through halfway in bang on 1.30 and might increase to something resembling marathon pace in the second half. We'll see what happens on the day. 

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    HA: good luck with the final double day. Really don't know how you do sessions like that midweek!

Steve: lovely dress rehearsal - you look in great shape so fingers crossed for decent weather so you can have a great day racing

Final Vo2 Max session this morning - normally do these in the evening but the weather is supposed to be even worse tonight. I did 3x1mi rather than 3x1600 on the schedule because I can't be bothered changing my watch - splits were 6:18/6:20/6:19. Really pleased with how it went and legs felt good. Just easy sessions with a few strides now until race day.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Nice dress rehearsal Steve. Hope you go really well this weekend.

Enjoy the last double day HA. Not sure about exact weight in comparison to your Asics but cant really go wrong with the Adios as a lightweight shoe with decent cushioning unless you don't get on with Adidas.

NE-Ouch! That graph looks horribly painful. Did you have to stop briefly? Well done for toughing it out.

Nice reps AWC. I have that session on Friday and will be doing miles also for the same reason.

Joe-I seem to remember you mentioning 2:39 as a nominal target a few months back. Could still be possible...just not on Sunday. Take it easy.

Wow-Wokingham!! Anyone not signed up yet?

Only 11 miles for me this morning. Strange not doing the usual 15-17 Wednesday jaunt. Bang on target for MP at 6:08s. Very windy so splits all over the place (5:56-6:18 range) and a bit of an effort into the wind. It's also a bit warm at the moment-I was very sweaty. Could do with the temp dropping a bit in the next 10 days!

• I agree on the temperature Tom. Being a contact lens wearer, it's nice to have it below head sweat temperature. I've even considered the headband but might have to go with a visor.

Joe, you act like I put that 2:39 down, it's just a copy and paste. Clearly it was determined whilst you were still in your euphoric underpants stage. 

Tom, can't see a target for you on there but lots of MP pace talk around the 6:0x mark?
  • Hi All,

Not been here for a while but reading back, standouts being IM Italy Reg and a super HM in my hometown Tom. I saw my time in Munich had been posted - thanks, so have decided to inflict my report on you.

Munich Marathon - 8 October 

I slept ‘OK’ and quickly got to the start at the Olympic Stadium.  Sunday was cold, overcast, occasional showers and a sprightly breeze.  The plan was to run 2:48:30 with a slightly faster first half to bank a little time to give confidence/ a cushion to keep it going so just under 4 min kming. Key would be to keep this going especially from km 35 when it seems  a sub250 time is won or lost. The race starts and finishes at the impressive 1974 Olympic Stadium, runs clockwise via key city landmarks, its English gardens (the lovechild of where Bushy Park meet St James Park) a very historic city centre full of magnificent gothic churches, state buildings and opera houses, and beer halls.  To banging Brit pop music, me and 5,800 others were off and at 3km I started running with Kevin a Worcester runner, ex-ultra marathoner and 2.42 PB guy who was aiming for sub245. When we got talking his plan was similar to mine, so we ran together for the best part of 30 km - just chatting and taking in the city and the scenery - 10K in 38.50/ 20K in 1.18.50, 30K came quickly  (where we ran through the crowded city centre to be introduced over the tannoy as 2 runners coming through from Great Britain to be met with very loud cheers and much much hand waving, so in turn we beamed back and waved at them too - slightly surreal but good for international relations we thought). Got to 30K in 1.58.49.  So far it was all looking good, and now running through the jaw-droppingly beautiful city centre.  But you can't take marathons for granted and our pace started to drop to 4.05-4.10 min km, as we hit some more headwind and my recently problematic left hip started to ache. So by km35, I had lost 40 seconds over the past 5k, so only 20 seconds up on where I needed to be, a thin cushion indeed.

So took a deep breath, closed my eyes had a good reflective moment as 35 km was my real half way point and this was make or break time so now I had to speed-up, kick-on and hang-in.  I repeated my mantra 'just get it done, get it done' picked-up the pace and dropped Kevin. I now started to catch the runners strung out in a line ahead of me a we all ran along a long and wide strasse back to the stadium and I started kming around 3.55 per km.  I felt calm, strong and in control.  There was some great crowd and some high fiving with some of the kids on the course really raised my spirits and brought lots of smiles. 40K came in 2.39:20 so I was gaining a ltime again which as great.  I now just had to keep it together, not push too hard and pick up a silly strain or injury which would stop me running.  I ran another 3.59 km to get to the 1 km to go marker and put the hammer down and ran my fastest km as I ran through the stadium tunnel and into the light as I entered the stadium and was met with a roar and lots of noise from the crowd that was there.  I picked off another runner, the 9th I had overtaken since the 30 km marker – none overtook me and I kicked-on again. As I entered the finishing straight I felt light, elated and out of breath and saw the timer saying 2:48:5X as I eased over the line.  Immediately, I felt the energy drain out of me, took a few deep breaths and felt good again.  For some reason I then thought drinking a half litre of isotonic drink, choc milkshake and lager in a minute was a good idea.  

I saw and thanked Kevin for his support - he finished in 2:50 his PW, pointing to the headwind which seemed to be a feature of the entire course and a 43 km course.  I felt absolutely fine afterwards, running along to support my mate doing the half marathon in the afternoon.  A new PB for me but feel I could – all going well with the recovery - shave some time off that in Valencia in 5 weeks time – we will see. Finished in anew 1 min 8 sec PB from London 17 of  2:48:56 28th overall, 2nd Brit but first Vet 50 – prizes unknown as I disappeared back to my hotel for a shower and some food.  

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Joe - I put you down for 2:39 for both, just in case you decided to sandbag. Obviously that's out the window for Amsterdam now. No prize money for Abingdon. Didn't think about it when I entered but after Windsor half any time I mention a race my wife asks me how much I'm likely to win. 

Tom / AWC - I'm sure those extra 9 metres won't make a big difference to the last VO2 max session.

I think I'll keep my eyes open over the next few months for some Hyperspeeds in my size but will look at those Adidas options too. Maybe I'll request some Vaporflys as a 40th birthday present.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Cooler temp but decent wind. I think I'd rather it a bit warmer and still.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Nice one OO, great time respectfully just outside my PB. I remember my stag do in Munich, the marathon was on the morning we were having our hair of the dog breakfast, it was quite  a different experience from that perspective.

I think we can leave the weather forecast for another week yet!
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Oh is it already time to be checking weather forecasts!? I find if I start checking I cant stop so I'm going to leave it until next week........maybe.......don't like the look of that wind HA!

I will also be leaving my targets to be finalised next week but I'm starting to think 6:0x might be the pace I set out at.

• OO - Cracking time, congrats on the PB!!
    AWC - Nice session, take it easy now until race day!
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Cross post there OO. Sounds like a really well executed race and a great PB. Well done!!
  • Great pb OO.
    HA, i'm thinking of trying your double days with a bit of MP in each. Might start at 2 x 7 Miles with 4 miles MP in each which will be one of my 3 quality training days each week.
    2 hours steady yesterday which was my longest run in 5 and a half years!
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    OO: brilliant PB and sounds like there is more to come next time out!

HA: no forecast for another week!!! That wind is bad but this far out is far too inaccurate and lots can change! And yeah I don't think those 9m made any difference at all!

All this talk of racing shoes always makes me question mine. I wear Brooks Asterias which are on the heavy side because they are support racers (230g). I've tried DS Racers but I think they caused my peroneal tendon problem in January so have only done shorter stuff in them since. I'll stick with the Brooks this time round.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the very well judged race and the resulting PB OO.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Phil - Sounds good. I tend mix it up a bit and do lots of fartlek sessions for the double days just to stop me getting bored, only occasionally doing 2x straight MP sessions. I would be careful also trying to do 2 other quality sessions during the week. I only do one other quality run in the week (Mon - Tempo/Fartlek/Hills, Wed - double session), generally giving myself 4 easy days following a double day. I feel that doing harder, longer sessions with more recovery has worked really well for me. I wouldn't want to drop the pace or volume of my target sessions to fit in an extra speed session during the week.

AWC - Sounds like a good plan with the shoes. 230g is hardly heavy, about the same as the adidas adios.

Last double session day yesterday. Pretty tired at the end but definitely didn't wipe myself out. Now I've just got to hope that 10 days is enough to recover. I think it will be but could be wrong.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    10 days is plenty HA-well done on getting the last double done. Your training has been immense in terms of quality so time to take it easy now until race day.
  • Nice double HA. I was thinking the same Phil re the number of quality sessions, particularly if you're sticking with the marathon plan and keeping the mileage up.

My double yesterday was easy in both directions having done the MP run the day before. I am having a rest day today, by which I mean not even cycling to work. In two years I've only ever run or cycled to work so it feels weird sitting writing this in normal clothes.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Cheers guys, training has gone really well and I've done my 7 week schedule almost exactly to plan, which is good considering it was somewhat experimental. 

Just listening to Marathon Talk and Dan the hero who helped me out at the Coventry half in March got a big mention at the start for running 2:29 at Chester.
  • Great result and report OO, thanks for sharing.

Good luck this weekends racers and training marathoners, John, Steve and JB.

Good luck with the taper those at Abingdon.  Last double in the bag HA, take it easy.  

Reg, I've not done a marathon off an IM (yet) but having done back to back marathons, I'd just be looking to tick over up to Abo with a few strides sprinkled here and there, following the last week of the taper plan.

I'm feeling a little bit more raced now after yesterdays xc at Parliament Hill.  I'd forgotton how lung busting xc can be.  3 laps of 2m each, I was a bit concerned when I was blowing on the warm up lap so I made an effort to try and pace well.  There was a GB ultra runner in the field so quite a decent standard at the sharp end.  I lost 2 places on the 2nd lap but gained 2 on the last lap for a 24th ish finish out of maybe 80ish. Always difficult to compare races on xc but felt like a decent performance. Strangely, the medals had been misplaced but they had some medals to give out from a race 6 months previous so rather sheepishly I ascended the steps to polite applause to collect a medal from March whilst the days medallists looked on.  I felt a bit of a fraud but medals a medal (even if for 2nd place team).

• Reg your description of Wokingham sounds perfect. I like low key but good standard. Good MPing. Hope the hammies and heel are ok.

Jooligan  a 10M commute each way in the dark is punchy. I’d expect nothing less.

Good luck, Joe, at Amsterdam(age). Make sure you make a definite hard/easy decision and stick to it! Should be a great weekend either way.

Haha Macca, solid ratio of race distances there.

Nice forecast John, best of luck!

Well done, NE. Hope you enjoy it now looking back. A great race (don’t you always say that from ones you PB in?!).

Great last double, HA. You seem to judge nicely how much the accumulation of sessions takes out of you. I have Piranhas. I have worn them in halves with no issues, other than sore calves the next day. But I definitely wouldn’t wear them in a marathon. But then I am significantly heavier than you, which makes a massive difference. I agree with Tom re Adios. Although I have migrated to New Balance and use the Fresh Foam Zante. Great Wednesday run there Tom – especially so in the wind. I agree we need the temperature to drop. Far too many 15C 5am mornings. Come on autumn and winter temperatures (but no winds).

Nice dress rehearsal, Steve. Best of luck for the weekend.

Great report, OO. Very strong finish.

My school has had the marvellous surprise of inspection this week, so that combined with the early UCAS deadline has all been a bit intense. Still managed to fit the running in, but pleased there were shorter sessions as the taper kicks in. Yesterday was the final BAC session: ‘the open sandwich’. 10mins MP effort (6:39 – a lot of headwind), 8 x 2 mins hard (6:13 down to 5:52 depending on wind). I have been significantly faster in previous sessions, but I will still take it as a solid effort with a good vO2 training affect. I wasn’t massively psyched up for it as sleep has been shorter than normal – and I find this affects me more than anything. I would like to have a real go at parkrun on Saturday, but I don’t think I can make timings work. Not prepared to run hard with the buggy so will probably go to track early on Saturday and run a solo 5k. Easy 10M on Sunday.

Also trying to resist weather watch until next week. Having not done it before, if there has to be wind, fingers crossed for a southerly to blow us home?

• Reg - I have a website that automatically processes all my runs using the Strava API - no-one will outdo my geekery… ;)

Great final VO2 session AWC.

Well done hitting exactly MP given the wind-affected splits Tom. Temperature is all over the place at the moment isn’t it!

Great report OuchOuch, and great performance. Would you recommend Munich? I’m hoping to get in to Berlin next year, but need a backup. Was thinking about going back to Frankfurt but Munich sounds like a good alternative.

Nice find double session HA, as you say your consistency has been great which hopefully bodes well.

Well done on the medal Macca. Running around Hampstead Heath is one of the few things I miss from London.

Bad luck on the surprise inspection SQ but at least it’s as the taper is kicking in. The wind yesterday made life hard even on my easy run, so I’m sure that accounts for a large part of your slower paces. 

Lots of tapering going on for Abingdon now - I think we’re going to see some great performances given the training you’ve all been putting in.

My legs have recovered quite well from Sunday, just a gentle recovery double today but I think they’ll be ready for a shortish track session on Saturday just as final icing on the cake for the GSR. I’ve written a race report on my blog for Oxford for those interested: https://run.spoon.run/oxford-half-2017/

• Thanks for the advice HA and Reg. It is all a massive learning curve at the moment with what I can and can't manage with the run focus.
    By quality sessions I mean a long run (around 2 hours), a med/long or double day with MP efforts in and then a shorter session (10 miles ish) with shorter  half marathon pace intervals (2-3 x 1.5-2 mile efforts).
    I will see how it works out and air on the side of caution.  
    Today was 12 miles alternating 5.40/6.10 pace during which I found the 6.10 pace miles surprisingly hard to keep the pace up on.
  • RSR - Yes, I would recommend Munich.  Its flat and fast with the first 16km running more or less through parkland (which was calming) with enough runners to ensure there is always someone to run with/ aim for. Well-organised with the number collection in the adjacent Olympic Hall which was also a great place to chill beforehand. Munich was an interesting city to visit and easy to get around. I am also looking at Berlin for 2018 as German marathon plan A. 
  • Philip some very solid suggestions you are suggesting (and doing) there. With consistency you will be absolutely flying.

Great blog, Spoons. Amazing to see the progress you are making, although it is not surprising with you careful planning and dedication. And if you are considering a track session this weekend that goes to show recovering from a half is definitely shorter phsyically and mentally than a full!

Hoe does everyone feel about alcohol a week out from a marathon? Post inspection wine toinght and a party on Saturday. Won't go crazy and for me I think I feel the ill effects of poor food choices just as much. 

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    SQ-I feel alcohol a week before a marathon is essential preparation. All in moderation of course! Well done on getting through the inspection. Never a good time to have one but It certainly could be worse than during the taper.
  • OO - enjoyed the report, sounds like a great day. See you in Valencia!

HA - nice work getting that last double day under your belt. No more work to be done now, rest up. Excellent news about Dan - he was always my favourite.

Reg - a less impressive double. Disappointing.

Macca - parliament hill is always brutal. Really excited that the national is there this year. I keep missing it every year so will make every effort to be there this time.

SQ - finishing off in style there. I always find your 'MP' will be faster on the day. I think alcohol is fine as long as you're not going crazy with it. No harm done there.

Did a little 2 mile 'MP' heart rate test yesterday as part of a 10 miler - pace came out around 6.20mm so not too bad, but it did feel like quite an effort. Another steady 6 this lunchtime, starting to feel a bit more normal.

Thinking of strategies for holding myself back on Sunday. Might try and do every mile quicker than the last, and deliberately go through the first few at slower than 3 hour pace to ensure I don't get caught up in things. I feel that way it could be quite fun overtaking lots in the last 10 miles or so. 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Delurks- SQ, leading up to the Yorkshire marathon I had a good drink the weekend before. Fri and Saturday. On race week I just had a couple of ciders on the Thursday and a couple on Friday but nothing the day before. That's the first time I've not had a couple the night before a long race and I felt terrible which is why I prob didn't run 2.29  :-D

HA, the lad who came second at yorkshire (Tom Charles) is down for running Abingdon. He ran 2.25 at York so if he's not recovered fully he may well be running in the mix at 2.29. Also Martin Green is targeting sub 2.30. 
  • I usually have a large glass of red wine th night before a race. Relaxes me and is just tradition now.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Like Philip I always have a glass of red the night before a race-a tradition. Not sure how much sleep I would get otherwise!