Options

P&D Autumn Marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    RunCamp session this morning - definitely feeling the difference now after a month of this stuff. The wife says she's noticing the difference in my upper body as well  :)

Off To Seville Monday-Wednesday next week to watch Liverpool in the CL. Checking out some running routes online and it looks like a lovely city for running and its forecast is sunny and 20deg during the day so hopefully I'll get out a few times if I'm not too hungover B)

Anyone heard from Tom? He's not been on much recently.
  • Options
    The Gower coast path is beautiful & has plenty of undulation. Pretty good hill at Rhossili Macca - you get to watch the paragliders taking off too.
    Looks pretty close between you & JB OO. You'll definitely trounce him on WAVA% whatever the final times :) Have a good one & enjoy the recovery juice.
  • Options
    What happened to Joe's 2:39, Is this why the locals are complaining about a lack of sand at Valencia beach?

Nice targets OO.

A couple of quality long runs there HA. Rapid reps Phil. 

Just a recovery for me yesterday.

• Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Good luck Joe and OO, looks like it's going to be a fast race. 

Solid runs HA77 and Spoons, fitness is rapidly returning. 

Nice sessions AWC, kenyan hills are tough but you finish them feeling suitably satisfied. 

Great running also from phil, muddy and jooligan. 

Continuing to try random sessions, this week was Aussie quarters and 4x2k tempo. Failed miserably at the aussie quarters (8x400m with 200m float) as I chose to run around a football pitch and just had no grip. Kept the 400s reasonably consistent but the floats became more of a recovery. Will have to retry it on a harder flatter surface. The 4x2k was more successful after struggling through the first rep and the last 2 even felt like MP (8:13s). May do a 24k trail race on Sunday just to fit one in before the end of the year. 
  • Options
    Good luck to both OO and Joe in Valencia!

Cut my run short on Wednesday, did 4m instead of 5m and didn't run today, plan was to do 6m as need to shift this cough. Hoping it starts to clear up so I can get some miles in on Saturday.
  • Options
    AWC - I am pretty envious of your Seville trip. I'll be watching on my telly, probably tired out after a club session in the dark and wet, with fish and chips on my lap ! I do the Kenyan hills session a bit like that too - on the up part just tipping over threshold at the top, and take the down above marathon effort for a bit of recovery. I do that session instead of a change of a pace session on the flat as I forget what I'm supposed to be doing in those. The up part and the down part separates the effort levels nicely.

Best of luck with recovery Steve.

Jooligan - it will be the nearest one to me, Cannon Hill, as I've to be on the road almost straight after. I should be done running by 9.17 am and 30 seconds ;) My course pb is 17.18 and I would be delighted to be in that territory, as I would then have an extra 12 seconds or so to get home and showered. My recent 10k in the same park had me hitting 5k at 17.30 with a fast downhill start having some bearing on that. I'm hoping that the non-eyeballs out nature of the 10k will afford me a bit of positive leeway but then again I will be running this after a standard training week and lugging around a couple of bags of sand.
  • Options
    Morning all. Fought off the flu like symptoms that were threatening to derail Valencia plans. All ready to go now, fly out tomorrow morning. Then we can finally kick off the new thread!

In other news, Champs entry for London is now open for those going down that route. 
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Muddy: I'm feeling pretty excited about the trip, especially looking at the forecast - tapas and cerveza al fresco in November! I prefer Kenyan hills to normal hill sessions and they're much more specific to HM/Marathon training. They're also much better for downhill technique as you aren't just slowly jogging down them.

Joe/OO: good luck on Sunday. It looks like a great city and a great course. I have 2 mates doing it so shall be keeping tabs on the race if there is a tracker. Fingers crossed Joe, you are clear of any symptoms come Sunday morning.

I've picked up a cold this week so not running today (sounds a bit like your cough Steve - not serious but I'm not taking any chances of it developing to something more serious) - hopefully clear it by Monday. I'll see how I feel tomorrow but may try to get out for something.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Joe and OO. Weather looks good.

Hope the colds and coughs clear AWC and Steve.

I like the random sessions John. I think there's something to be said for mixing things up.

Another tough morning at work. Almost 16 mile MLR and didn't look at my watch again. Started slow but pace gradually increased without pushing and decided to make it a bit of a progression, finishing off comfortably hard, which turned out to be around MP+5%. Had a unscheduled stop on the banks of the Thames, luckily the mist meant I was not visible from the other side of the river and there were lots of suitable leaves on the ground.
  • Options
    Good luck in Valencia guys.  Sounds fantastic.

I skim read back through the thread a bit... of course the posts with pictures catch the eye.  So well done on Snowdonia Jooligan.  Excellent time, all things considered.  And Macca... superb performance in the hundreds. Good report too - assuming that where you said you stopped for a little 'me time' at mile 46, you didn't mean it in the same way as Nessa famously did in the famous Gavin & Stacey scene!

On the topic of photos...  here's me last night - apparently being zapped by an alien during a 5.5m fell race up the Sugar Loaf in Abergavenny. Really enjoyed it... the downhills included some really long sections at just that sort of gradient where you can really go for it.  55 minutes on the nose. Nothing special - something like 63rd place out of 91... but again I was pretty strong on the downhills taking quite a few places.

• Options
    Very jealous NE. Fully intended to be there for my first night race but had to work til 8:( I'd even bought a headtorch. Have a cracking w/e running & racing.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Just popping in to say good luck to OO and Joe. Hope you have a great time out there, go really well and enjoy!
  • Options
    Good luck Joe and OO, hope you achieve your goals. 
    Some good sessions HA, I'm  a bit jealous of all the time you have to run at the moment!
    Having taken it easy since my intervals on Tuesday I wanted to open the legs up this morning.  Went out and did 14 miles with 11 at 5.40 pace. It was flat and pretty windless so good conditions but none the less, pretty pleased with it.

• Options

Ankle does seem to be gradually getting better, still feels something is almost pulling though when I've tried jogging on the spot.  Definitely alot lazier when not running as can easily just do nothing, much like today. Although who cares when Arsenal do one over Spurs!

Good luck to Joe and OuchOuch tomorrow  :) 

Anyone who's followed Colin McCourt, I notice he won his bet and ran a 15:3x at the Podium 5km this evening

• Options
    Good luck Joe & OO.
  • Options
    I think it's fair to say Joe will be pretty happy with his run this morning  ;) Hope OO got on well too, look forward to reading the reports

A chilly 30 miles on the bike this morning, surprisingly fast for me at a touch over 17mph
  • Options
    Looks like JB dropped the sand bags after the weigh in ;) 
  • Options
    Quick check in from me. I’ve already had a few beers so apologies for any typos!

Caught up with OO in the start pen, all very civilised. He told me he was going for 2.47, so it was a surprise to see him 7 seconds behind me at the half way point! I kept hearing ‘go on peter’. I won’t spoil how he got on.

Went out pretty hard, before settling into a good rhythm after 5km or so. Went through half in 1.20.27, so I was fairly confident 2.40 wasn’t on the cards (I never thought it was beforehand anyway!!), so I just relaxed and thought a small PB could be on if I kept it sensible.

Kept ticking off the miles, but I was working really hard and thought I could blow at any moment. Hit the last 10km and went for bust, just told myself to run as hard as I could.

Was trying to do the maths in my head, and found myself speeding up slightly. Worked out if I ran the last mile in 5.45 (had been averaging 6.05 to this point), then I’d sneak a 2.39.

So I just put my head down, and buried myself into the ground. Don’t remember any of it, just ran as hard as I physically could. Felt like I was going to chunder at any moment. Saw the clock at the finish ticking towards 2.40. Cue more sprinting.

crossed in 2.39.50 in a state of disbelief. Had to triple check my watch to make sure the time was right. 

Fantastic race, great city, superb organisation. Would recommend it to anyone. Full blog to follow obviously.

get in!!! Absolutely buzzing.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Brilliant stuff Joe! Massive congratulations on the PB and sub 2:40. Enjoy those celebratratory beers!
  • Options
    Enjoy the beers Joe, really pleased for you. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the well wishes snd niceky set up by Joe. Boom, am shocked with a 2:45:17 a new PB by 3 mins 40 especially until this year since 2007 my pb has been 3:08:21 (twice in 2016)  Stuck to Joe until around km 28 when he disappeared - inspired either by the booming Star Wars, Benny hill or the Highways to Hell sound tracks - I just keep digging in and ticking off km between 3.55 - 4.05.  A lot to like about Valencia as a city and marathon. Really good to celebrate with Joe, Katie and some of the sub 3 guys. As they are much younger they went off in search of high life I just want to have a lie-down. 
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Well done OuchOuch-Super performance! Congrats on the big PB.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    I haven't done much since Abingdon and need to read back to catch up a bit! Had a 10k  on the Castle Combe race track today. Wasn't expecting to run well but conditions were ideal and ended up finishing 5th in 34:18 so quite surprised and happy with that. Will start to get back into it a bit now! 
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    A couple of first class performances in Valencia. Those are great times Joe and OO. I imagine you're both buzzing and should both be really proud. You've got me excited now.

A good prediction from me too for 2:39 from Joe. Established your place as top runner in your house, for the time being at least.

Great 10k time Tom. A good place to start for London prep.

• Options
    Great results Joe and OO. 

Great stuff too Tom. Pleased to hear you are getting back into it.
  • Options
    Some great performances today.
    Massive PBs from JB & OO. Congratulations both. Truly inspirational OO. Not to take anything away from you JB but I think you're almost half my age!
    Good to hear you're getting back into it Tom, top racing. One of my younger clubmates was about 30s behind you (a 2 minute PB)
    Conditions were indeed ideal in Wiltshire. I was down the road at Sutton Benger for the Flyer 5M.
    I was pretty sure of a PB since my only 5M times on Run Britain were from local hilly trail runs & as MT races they don't even count on Po10. I'd missed the online entry by 24 hrs so we arrived over 90 minutes before the race to enter OTD. I'd travelled down with Dave, a clubmate & 1st MV50 last year in 30:17, & after faffing around we went for a decent warm-up, chatted to a marshal & other runners then lined up at the start. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel. I'd run 19:15 at the inaugural Eastville parkrun in Bristol the previous day on a far from flat course (200' of climb over the 3 laps) so knew I was in good shape but had that taken too much out of me?
    Started 2nd or 3rd row back and let the hares race off. Began picking people off as I got into my rhythm. First Mile in around 6:01 & by now I was in a battle with a guy who was obviously working harder than me from the grunting but every time I went past him he'd battle back. I was also only 10s behind Dave so had plenty of incentive to keep pushing. The course goes out for 2.3M then 2 Left turns to loop round & rejoin the outbound route with 1.9M to go. It was here I broke grunter as I relaxed into the homeward stretch still reeling in a Taunton AC guy between myself & Dave, who seemed to have stretched the gap considerably whilst he was out of sight on a twisty stretch. I got past Taunton but was then overtaken by a Stroud chap with about a K to go. He'd paced it superbly and put a burst in to pass me & distance himself. I couldn't go with him but managed to hold the gap to 6s. I crossed the line in 30:40.7 for 16th place & 4th MV40-49.
    btw Dave managed to retain his MV50 title in 14th place & bag an 8s PB to boot. 
    All in all a great w/e of racing.
    I'll be returning to low intensity stuff for the 3rd consecutive week then hitting Valentine's parkrun on Saturday & possibly the Sri Chinmoy Grizzly 10 in Battersea Park on Sunday as I'm visiting London. Anyone done these?

• Options
    Bloody hell OO and Joe.  Amazing stuff.  Well done.  Really well done.
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Congrats Joe and OO - I'm sure I also called out a pb was on the cards! We've enough history to know who the sandbaggers are on this thread now....

Jooligan - fantastic time, doesn't it translate into a faster pace than your recent parkruns?

Top 10k Tom, the speed is still there. Anything lined up to take advantage of it?

Change of scene for me, with a 24k trail race on a course I've not done before. Really tough up and down steps and rocks, not helped by poor marking which meant I took 3 wrong turns. Faded in the last 3k which was not surprising as i haven't done any real trail running for 6 months. So was surprised to hear I was 4th as i crossed the line and even took out the AG win! All the faster runners must have been in the 30k option on the same course. Some decent prizes on offer as well, including Suunto watches and North face shoes. I ended up with some tailwind and just missed out on a lucky draw for a new Suunto as it went to the AG winner one category below me! Only downside is the left quad has pulled up a but tight so will need to ease back this week. 

Is it time for the new thread now?
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Jooligan - Great weekend of racing. Is there any other type for you?

John - Sounds like a tough race. Well done on the age group win.

Another work long run today. 20 miles along the river, through Richmond Park and Wimbledon Common. Avoided looking at my watch again. Started out slow but felt pretty good after a couple of miles and could feel that I was moving pretty well even though I wasn't pushing. Really liked it in Wimbledon Common. Might have to explore a bit more in there.
  • Options

Some more cracking day time running, HA. Emergency ‘pit’ stops can’t be quite as easy in the middle of London. Today’s strava route had a hint of the animal about it – perhaps a camel with fat legs?

Nice fell running, NE. Unfortunately my work internet won’t let me see the photo.

Amazing, Joe! And so impressive to speed up with 10k to go – great determination. I think it is really well deserved. You seem to have had a slightly up and down year, but you’re so definitely on an upward trajectory. Hope the beers were good!

Amazing also, OO!

Great 10k, Tom. It can be very windy there, so impressive time and finish position.

Solid work in the 5M, Jooligan. Pleased you escaped grunter.

Nice AG win, John.

Ran my first track session since early August on Sunday morning. A Competitor Running facebook post I saw a few minutes before leaving inspired to do 2 x (600, 400, 300, 200) with 300 jog recoveries. Averaged about 1:20 or a bit faster, so really pleased with that. 11M total.

This week I want to frontload the running a bit. I’m off on a stag do in Edinburgh at the weekend. Fly early Saturday morning, going old school and not booking any accommodation, fly back early Sunday morning – so no running opportunities (a shame as I’d love to head up Arthur’s Seat). 16M easy effort on the canal this morning with the head torch. HR marginally higher than expected, but perhaps this is due to yesterday’s track session. Next week is the beginning of my 12 week P&L plan leading into Wokingham half. No doubt a two day hangover to deal with before that.