P&D Autumn Marathon 2017

Comments

• Great work on the 50K SteveMac. Huge time improvement, well done. Kudos getting in the 13 miler the day after too!

BigBaller - I agree with others that running at 10% below MP shouldn’t feel unnatural. You simply can’t do every P&D long run at MP, it’ll destroy you if it really is true MP. From what you’ve said though, I wonder if your true MP might be faster. For what it’s worth, P&D long run paces are actually a lot faster than many plans, some prescribe them at very easy pace.

Interested to see how the higher mileage goes for you JohnOz. I know for me it certainly helped in those last few miles of the marathon.

HA - I always meant to give the Ealing Mile a go when I lived in London, never quite got around to it! Nice work on the hills and track.

Jooligan - Thanks will keep those in mind. That one on the 12th comes at the end of a recovery week so tempted to give it a go, will see how knackered my legs are at that point in the plan! Impressive stuff in the Welsh hills.

Tom - Great to see you back at the big sessions at silly times of day! ;)

Good luck NE.

Hope the weather is kind to you Joe. Good luck!

Really building back up the miles now. Legs felt pretty knackered on Tuesday after the 17/13 of Sunday/Monday, and still felt a little stiff on Wednesday so I dropped the planned strides and just did a gentle recovery run. I also did some yoga for the first time in ages. Thankfully this morning I was feeling a bit fresher for another 15 miles, though the weather was wet and miserable. Averaged 7:24/mi which I’ll happily take at this stage. I hit 15 miles just as I passed McDonalds, so couldn't resist a milkshake. Pretty sure that's how all the elites refuel after a run right?

Easier few days now before a 10K on Sunday. It’s down at the racecourse again, so just a short warm-up jog from my building which means I should even be able to have a bit of a lie-in! Not expecting much though, given it’s at the end of my biggest week since Brighton.

• Been a bit slack here with posting and LR's but taking it all in and welcome to the new folks.

NE - IMHO & limited experience you run with your head a bit more in an ultra than a mara, I think you'll do ok in that regard.

Home alone next week so planning a decent weeks training (not of JB esque proportions mind).
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    NE: agree with Macca about a lot of it being in your head. I found that from c35mi onwards the pain/discomfort/fatigue levelled off and it was just about keeping going at the same rate. It certainly looks difficult with 5 UTMB pts (my 54miler had 4 pts with 6000ft of elevation so I knew yours was much tougher from how you were describing it - not sure how they call it entry level!!). Looking forward to hearing how you get on.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Afternoon All.

Joe-Yes I'm in for Cardiff. Only 3 weeks before Abo so not sure how hard I'm going to attack it. Pacing Katie to a sub 90 is a great idea and this race is an ideal opportunity. She'll probably end up beating the pair of us! Not long now-bet you are chomping at the bit!!

NE-Very excited for you. It will certainly be a memorable experience and one that I'm sure you do very well at. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

HA-Fantastic work yesterday with that rapid track session the highlight. Do you find it easier to run fast on the track than on the road? If so by how much do you reckon over a mile? I've never set foot on a track so have nothing to compare.

Spoons-Great to see the mileage monster is getting right back to it. Strawberry milkshake by any chance? Would have been my choice. Any idea how I can get hold of some Glide's? Really need a couple of new pairs but can  only find these new Supernova's about which seem to be a completely different shoe with very unfavourable reviews compared to it's predecessors.

Macca-always nice to be home alone for a little while so you can focus on your training and other stuff that doesn't impede on family time!

Just a six mile jog for me this morning.

• Spoons, hitting the high mileage already, very impressive. Must try the milkshake stop one time as part of my training - love those things.

Macca - go for 50 hours? after your recent exploits that'll be nothing.

Tom - may well do, just weighing up the options. I'm scared that one day soon she'll cruise past me in a race. We've already agreed she's just got to give me a little pat on the bum followed by 'keep going darling, you're doing great'.

Thoughts/goals/tracking info on the weekend in the latest blog;

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2017/07/20/outlaw-2017-preview/ 
  • NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Jooligan...  I completely missed your mega welsh weekend (cross-post, I suspect)... that was immense!
    Spoons... impressive mileage.
    Joe... good luck in going for gold this weekend. What's your weather forecast like?
    And all you experienced ultra runners... thanks for the encouragement. It helps.     I think it was Joe who asked about nutrition strategy...  you know the strategy is not very refined.  The check points offer a range of food and gels and there will be a couple of places I can have my own food drops... I just intend to eat to how I feel - plenty of solid stuff - with some High5 tabs.  I've been essentially taking a picnic on my long runs with different foods- sandwiches, biscuits, cake - to make sure I'm used to it. But I do tend to have a very accommodating stomach.

For me,  my biggest excitement of the day was seeing 29th July appear on the 10-day weather forecast for the first time this morning. I know it's almost pointless looking at it yet, but it's something to do with my time!  Probably have a gentle run later.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Spoons: here's another mile to have a go at though not exactly PB material ;)  http://www.islwynrunningclub.org.uk/Murder-Mile.php August 4th. Not far from you either Tom. Never done it myself but keep meaning to. Forgot about it on the night last year & I'm away this. I know several who have. Great little event.
    BB69: I'd go trail/fell for RTT. It was a full on Atlantic storm when I did it last year. There were some really narrow side sloping sheep trods on the way back. There's a bit of tarmac early on & at the finish but mostly it's through fields
    NE: little & often is the best nutrition strategy for any long duration endurance event. Start eating early too. The gut can only absorb a limited amount of carbs per hr so you need to get the process started quickly to minimise the inevitable glycogen depletion. Luckily I can also run on pretty much anything eg Snowdon after a fry-up :D  
    Definitely getting deja-vu now:HA's Quality Wednesday's are back, Tom's out the door running (M)LRs around my 10K pace as I'm going to bed & Spoons is reclaiming his place at the top of the Strava thread leaderboard.
    Finally definitite signs of progress today.
    I've done the same 7.8M multi-terrain route every Thursday for 3 weeks now.
    Wk1 154bpm for 7:58 pace, Wk2 149bpm for 7:56, Wk3 155bpm for 7:41
    Best bit was I felt looser from the moment I started even though my quads were still very tender from my Welsh mountain adventure, the first 4.5M felt properly easy & I then picked up the pace to finish with the last 0.8M at 6:38 pace :)

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Tom - I think there's not much difference between pace on a track and on a smooth flat road. I think it's all the irregularities and bumps on the footpath that slow you down when running fast. The other thing is on the track you don't need to think about cars or dog walkers. I think it makes much more difference when I'm trying to run fast on tired legs too. I would say i often look at my watch and find myself running 5s/km faster than it feels.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Tom: My track times are slower for 5K & 10K but for short measured efforts it's ideal
    JB: Great blog. All the best mate you've done all the work. Go for GOLD :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSq8ZBdSxNU
  • NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    By the way, I can attest to the great mile races at Jooligan's club - like he says... a club for runners and great value.  If you run fast enough to win your age category, you might even get a magnificent medal like the one shown in my forum avatar B)    It was even presented by Jooligan himself... but at the time I'd no idea who he was.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    JB: Trust you'll be maintaining tradition at Outlaw & wearing your VLM kit ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kOKDdocGyc
  • AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    Apologies for the short post, life is manic at the moment and the car packed in the other day just to compound the stress.

Just wanted to wish you all the best for this weekend Joe, go out there and smash it! Can't wait to hear how you get on.
  • Jooligan - both video's made me laugh out loud - very good. Some nice progression there on your thursday route - encouraging signs.

NE - at the moment weather looking ok. Cool, which is great, but potentially some heavy showers after lunch - hopefully I'll avoid these on the bike and they'll be quite refreshing on the run! How's it looking for you in a weeks time?

AlanB - thanks very much! Very excited, have worked hard for 6 months so I'm hoping my legs co-operate on the day!

Off to Nottingham this afternoon, just me, Katie and the van. 
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Joe. You've done everything right in the lead up so you should take lots of confidence from that. Looking forward to seeing that result on Sunday.

I'm off on holiday next week so it'll be an easy one before getting back into Abingdon prep.
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Good luck Joe thus weekend, am sure you'll smash it. 

Good to see you getting back into the high mileage Spoons. How do P&L plans differ from P&D?

Back in great form Jooligan!

Just easy runs this week but threw in 5 miles at just under sub 3 pace today, felt like a manageable effort so will see how the higher mileage affects my ability to keep this up. My favourite run of the week tomorrow - parkrun with my 8 year old!
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Joe. I'm certain you are going to absolutely smash it! Can't wait to hear all the glorious details. All the best mate.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Wasn't expecting to be running in torrential rain and gale force winds in July but that's what I encountered at 4:30 this morning. 10 miles steady but not very pleasant in the cobditions. Last day of term....oi oi !!
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Joe - Good luck this weekend, you have certainly put the training in, so you can definately reap the rewards. Looking forward to hearing all about it!
    Tom - Sounds pleasant, just what you need at 4:30am!! Last day of term?? Sounds like beer o'clock to me!!
  • Tom, sounds awful. Hope you did get a beer in after that effort. 

I have an 8M race tomorrow, still not sure why I agreed to it but it'll be a decent benchmark for how I'm getting on with my comeback. 

I've said it elsewhere, but go-Joe-go! I loved Outlaw and I'm sure you will too. 

• Good luck tomorrow JCG, not sure I've ever raced an 8 miler.

Good luck Joe, "smash it" !  Whatever happens you can be proud of the training block you've put it.
  • Thanks Macca. It is a weird distance, I haven't raced it before either so it'll be a guaranteed PB if nothing else.  
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow JCG. 8 miles is an unusual distance to race but I quite like the idea. A slightly more civilised version of what feels like a long sprint of a 5 miler or 10k.
  • Thanks so much all - really means a lot.

Chowing down on my 3am porridge in the hotel room.

Lets see what the day brings.. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    3 am porridge, just had mine at a much more civilised 4:50am.

Good luck with the 8 miler JCG

I know we were discussing eating on the bike recently so I did an unintentional experiment yesterday. Went out with just a bit of malt loaf and 1 gel. Did 65 miles with a group and then another 25 miles on my own. With about 85 miles on the clock and over 5 hours in the saddle I started to feel weird. Legs went a bit wobbly and I started seeing stars. I completely bonked and had to stop for a few minutes.

Fortunately I had stopped by a blackberry bush so I ate a handful of those and managed to get home but I was riding on fumes. So I am confident that cyclists don't obsess about food too much!
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    3 am porridge, 4:50 am porridge! I thought my 5:30am porridge was pretty early for a Sunday! Weather looking decent. Go smash it Joe!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    You're just getting lazy Tom. Joe was out the water in 1:09, which is around expectations I think.

After my 4:50 am porridge I did 15 miles @ 7:10. First 5 miles were recovery effort and then the rest easy apart from a couple around MP at the 10-12 mile mark. 

It it felt pretty good actually and HR was nice and low for the pace. Cool conditions helped.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Nice run Reg. After my lazily late 5:30 am porridge the decent looking weather suddenly turned into biblical downpours and the roads/lanes became rivers and streams during my 18 miler. At least it wasn't windy and it certainly was cool! Where has Summer gone? Anyway, was pleased with how comfortable the 6:35 m/m pace felt in the conditions.
  • Tom - Strawberry milkshake every time! Unfortunately the Supernova Glides seem to have all gone now. I have one spare pair left, not sure what I'll do after that!

Nice long runs Reg and Tom. 

Tracking seems to have gone nuts for Joe's bike leg - very slow first split then Joe apparently found a time machine to record a negative second split. Hope all's ok out there for him. 

I had the Go Dad Run 10K this morning in aid of prostate cancer. We all got to wear large y-fronts and Colin Jackson started the race. It was a bit of a disaster on all fronts.

I felt rubbish the whole way, although to be expected after 80+ miles in the last 7 days I guess. Without wanting to make excuses, it also felt very humid out, I was out on my own the whole way, and being a lapped course there were lots of slower runners to pass, all of which didn't help. 

The course was also massively long - I have just over 7 miles on my watch! Serious screw up there. However weirdly it was one of my favourite races. My dad was there to spectate and six months ago we could have easily lost him to the disease. Makes you realise how lucky you are just to be able to to out there running, and puts a sub-par performance in to perspective!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Sorry your run was a bit pants Spoons.

nice long one Tom.

Joe has had a nightmare on the bike by the sounds of things, multiple punctures and a tyre change.

He's on the run so hopefully his trainers don't fall apart.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    5 punctures I think.