Advice on training to reach a 1:55 goal for a Half Marathon in 10 Weeks

Hi I am looking for some help and advice on getting quicker at half marathons and trying to eventually get a new PB. I have my next race in 10 weeks and after falling short of my last goal looking for some help with my training.

Quick bit of background – I’ve been only running for 3 years, I am 48 year old male – I have the following PB’s 5K 22:30 – 10K 48:15 – Half Marathon 1:48:50. My PB in the half was nearly 2 years ago and because of an accident which needed knee surgery for my meniscus cartilage (not running related) my training has been on and off ever since only managing about 30 – 40 miles a month however I am now fully fit and back running 4 days a week for the last 4 months now clocking up about 25 miles a week with my long runs from 10 - 14 miles .

My problem and what I need advice on is last week I did my first ½ marathon race after returning to running and was looking to target around 1:55:00 – 1:57:00 a time I thought well within myself, I went through the first 8 miles OK with pace feeling comfortably hard running at around 8:50min miles , however after the 8 miles I faded badly and only clocked up 2:03:00 and got cramp in the last few miles. I have another half in about 10 weeks and really want to get closer or break 1:55:00.

My current training looks a bit like this

• 1 tempo run 5-6 miles at about 8:30 pace
• 1 easy run around 4 miles at about 9:20 pace
• 1 quick run 3 miles at about 8:10 pace – then a 40 min strength session in the gym
• 1 long run from 10 – 14 miles at around 9:30 – 10:30 pace

Any comment on my training – mileage – times etc. to help me work better towards my goal would be most helpful, however time is short for me and 4 days a week is the most I can do out and about running but I have a home gym so can do more cardio work or strength work if that might help?

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'm not an expert but I will say that summer weather will play a big part. My last two races have been disappointing but they've both been warm and humid. There's no reason you shouldn't hit your goals during an Autumn race, based off your current training.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    I think your training looks ok but I'd do a few things differently.

You could build up the length of your long run if you like. It might also help to do some race pace sections (5-7 miles) in your long run occasionally (maybe schedule in 2-3 before your race). You could also gradually increase the length of your 4 mile recovery run and make the pace slower.

When you say you do a 5-6 mile tempo run, does that include warm up and warm down? I'd be building up to doing 5-6 miles of tempo running with at least 2 miles warm up and 1 mile warm down.

Is your 3 mile run an interval session or just a fast run? I wouldn't bother with a short fast run and would look to do an interval session or a longer 6ish mile run with some strides (~10x 100m sprints). I think your 40 min strength session would be better spent running, unless it's something specific for your knee problems.

Just my opinions obviously and I'm sure plenty of others would offer different advice. Good luck.
  • Thanks HA77 my tempo runs are 1 mile warm up tempo pace then a 1 mile cool down in my plan over next 10 weeks i peak doing 8 mile tempo so 6 miles at about 20 seconds faster than race pace, also my 4 miles easy builds up to 6 miles easy with my long run at 16 miles. my 3 mile run is just a fast run but agree for a half marathon their is no point in doing speed work so ill swap this for longer run
  • cmaccmac ✭✭
    You seem to be ticking all the boxes, intervals, tempo, easy and long runs but I would agree that you could drop the interval session in favour of another longer run. In my experience the longer runs don't need to be more than race distance, so you may be increasing your chance of injury by doing 16 miles.

Last year I followed a programme for half marathon and most of the runs were tailored to HM pace. It was a 4 day with one short (3M) Easy run, 2 proper sessions and a long-ish run (8-12 miles). The longer sessions got me prepared for the race pace and built up so that I could hold it for longer as the weeks went on. When it came to the race, my mind was the weak link as my body knew what was expected.

I don't want to bore you with detail, but the sessions started with a couple of weeks of build up sessions. So instead of your 6m tempo, do your warm up and then a 6 mile run starting at 9m/m and drop 10sec/mile until the 6th mile you're running 8m/m. Finish with 1M cool down. Do this say wed/ fri for two weeks with one short run on Tue and a long (8-10M) run on Sunday. Then for the next two weeks try 2x6miles at 8m/m (1:45 HM). if you can only manage 8:15 or 8:20 that's ok as long as it's consistent. Then an easy week to follow. Next week increase you pace run up to 8 miles at race pace (only one run) on the Wed then do a parkrun on Sat and a 10 mile on Sunday. Depending on how many more weeks you have it would be good to do another week with a build up of 9 miles from 9-8m/m. I would do 3x9m/m, 3x8:30m/m, 3x8m/m. Adding warm up and cool down this gives you 11mile run. The following week do another 8x8m/m and then allow a couple of weeks taper.

This is based on the MYASICs free online programme. I only started running a few years ago (now 41) and followed it last year to try and get a PB. All the pace running really worked although it was hard at the time. the first couple of weeks are up and down, but at about week 4 you notice how much you've improved.