Correct cyclist vs runner road/lane behaviour.

Comments

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    RicF said:
    Who is this Colon chap?
    In my imagination, a slightly greasy, overweight, UKIP supporting daily mail reader, with poor social skills and questionable personal hygiene. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Is he still avoiding the under-ground network?

🙂

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I like him. An overly long post in which someone gets silly annoyed at scenarios they are imagining is always entertaining. A fun game is to swap out the word "runner" for "prostitute" and pretend he's writing from prison. Kill 'em Colin. They're fuckin asking for it. Kill 'em all.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    "an wrong" WTF? I do apologise - please delete the word "wrong"!!!
  • How exactly are pedestrians supposed to move about in the countryside if not on the lanes?

Clearly 'Colin' is a town dweller.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    How exactly are pedestrians supposed to move about in the countryside if not on the lanes?

Clearly 'Colin' is a town dweller.
    Have the chauffeur drop them at the required destination, naturally.  After they have done their morning treadmill session in their air-conditioned home gymnasium.

Or take the thrice weekly bus.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Many of the country roads near me are not wide enough for two cars to pass.
    So if Colin (or some other motorist) is driving his car at the speed limit (often 60) on said lanes, and a Reg's cycle group come round the corner, 2 wide and 5 deep, who's at fault here?

Having heard the car driving at a stupidly fast pace for the road visibility (it happens), A runner takes refuge in the hedgerow to allow the lunatic to pass (often on a phone or throwing a McDonalds package out the window). 
    Approaching the next bend, he is greeted by the sight of a motorist having ploughed into multiple cyclists conservatively at 5 times the speed of the average runner, but weighing in 10 times more.

This peleton example is a very good example of the problems a motorist on the road is capable of causing. A motorist on the road isn't going to hear the cluster of bikes coming towards him or her, much less so than a runner would. If they come round a blind bend and hit the motorist there can be a major pile up, with cyclists being hurt, all because some dickhead motorist is in the road making a nuisance of themselves rather than driving somewhere intelligent (i.e. on a dual carriageway or better still, getting a train - leaving the road free for runners and cyclists only).

Now as a runner (and motorist) I'm happy for the headphone wearers to be removed from the gene pool unlesss they trust their spidey like senses to alert them to road dangers, but as we know, all of them have it on a volume so low it doesn't reduce hearing...

Ultimately a bit of shared common courtesy is better than a blinkered, narrow minded view, but we're all wired differently.
  • I think Colin needs rewiring.
  • Reg Wand said:
    Colin - Have you considered that some people live in areas that have no pavements and need to run on roads to run at all?

They don't "need" to run on roads. They could drive or cycle to a park or other open space away from traffic instead of endangering themselves and everyone else by running on the road surface. Or, like I said above, get a treadmill if travelling is impractical, and run at home on the treadmill.

Runners who run on roads are selfish idiotic unthinking dickheads. They are a nuisance and cause accidents and deserve to be hit and run over, for their stupidity. (And then of course they'll try and blame the motorist. They won't have any insurance themselves, so they'll try and claim off the motorist's insurance, and/or get the motorist prosecuted for daring to mow them down.)

The peleton example above is a very good example of the problems a runner in the road is capable of causing. A runner in the road isn't going to hear the cluster of bikes coming towards him or her. If they come round a blind bend and hit the runner there can be a major pile up, with cyclists being hurt, all because some dickhead runner is in the road making a nuisance of themselves rather than running somewhere intelligent (i.e. away from traffic - leaving the road free for cars and cyclists only).

Electric cars present a similar danger to a runner in the road, since they too are pretty silent: the runner won't hear the electric car coming round a blind bend until it's almost upon him or her.  If there's simultaneously another car coming in the opposite direction arriving at the same spot there may not be enough road-width for two cars plus a runner, so the driver will have to make an instant decision whether to hit the car or the pedestrian, for want of width. The runner shouldn't even be there in the first place - it shows a complete lack of common sense to be running in traffic.

Running in the road is indefensible. Sadly there are plenty of people on this website who think it's a correct and appropriate thing to do. It isn't. It's daft and dangerous and the danger can arise in seconds. It isn't fair on a motorist who wants to be able to drive at the speed limit to be forced to deal with this sort of unnecessary issue because some runners are basically stupid.

What a charmer. So what was it Colin?.... did you lose a fiver again, or was it the unfortunate incident with an extra large mars bar that spoilt your day and put you in such a foul mood?
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Ahh Colin. Haven't seen you on here for a while. I hope you're really as angry as your posts suggest and not just trying to wind everyone up. I've missed your rantings.

In response to the initial post, if I have to run on the road, I generally run on the right but will switch sides if there is a blind corner or crest. I try to avoid roads though and am always ready to throw myself into a hedge if required. Must admit I've never had to deal with groups of cyclists though.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    That's because us cyclists just cycle round oncoming runners without a thought or danger. The trouble with Colin is he's a tease, he comes on rants and get's you all excited and then disappears. Maybe he is what the term "prick tease" was first coined for?
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I wonder what Colin's view is on (a) the London marathon and (b) Ride London.

Both cause mass road closures for respectively runners and cyclists to take to the streets causing untold chaos for drivers.

Why can't those idiots use (a) treadmills (b) velodromes

• That spaceman had the good sense to do his marathon on a treadmill and not spoil the mall by landing his rocket there. Its the future !
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    If the car hits the runner it is the driver's fault, Colin. That driver has legs and does not need to be in control of a potentially lethal machine.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

You can take the piss as much as you want.

Great.

Roads often tend to be narrow and awkward...

You are.
    Colin McLaughlin said:
    ...and tend to have bends.
    You do.
  • Colin: Pedestrians have a right to use the roads, they are public highways, if there is no pavement then a pedestrian has to use the road. I did a search for runners road deaths, first example from USA an SUV came off the road going round a corner. Second example two girls killed in Aldershot by a man drink driving and speeding who went through a red light. Third example from US again, a man on drink and drugs drove onto course of a half marathon road race and killed a runner. Who's fault were these deaths?
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Colin - you don't quote over what period the "40 reports of deaths of road runners occurred", but for 2015 (the most recent year of approved statistics) by far the highest percentage of road users killed in the UK were car users - 754 of them.

What bloody idiots - going out on the roads in cars, stupidly asking to be killed. Why were they there when they didn't need to be? It is inexcusable that they were there - putting themselves in danger - did they really have a need to be there? I suspect they were on their way to a treadmill. Or park, to run. Or maybe just on their way somewhere, possibly to eat doughnuts and then die of an obesity related disease instead of risking their lives running.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Colin McLaughlin said:

That comment just shows how stupid and ignorant you are.

Colin, are you like a Borat character trolling for attention or are you really just a thick cunt?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Colon: Your argument "Some people deserve to be knocked down" is classic victim blaming: "They deserved to be mugged they had an expensive phone."; "They deserved to be blown up for their heretical views."; "She deserved to be raped, she wore a short skirt!"
  • Roads are for Rhinos... www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-40823810/rhino-chases-down-cars-on-assam-road-in-india
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Colin McLaughlin said:
    I Googled runners' road death articles a few years ago out of interest.

At least we can all agree it's good to have a hobby.
  • Cheap Kitchens For Sale w'-w'-w'-c'-h'-e'-a'-p'-k'-!'-t'-c'-h'-3'-n'-s'-u'-k'-c'-o'-u'-k'-