Correct cyclist vs runner road/lane behaviour.

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Colin, you have too much time on your hands.  Relax.  Go for a run, or something.  
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • In your utopia where no-one runs on the road, how do non-car drivers move from one village to another. There are many near me with no pavement on the way in from any direction.

Government advice (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-pedestrians-1-to-35) is to be careful. What do you know that they don't Colin?

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Colin, if you have an agenda, and you clearly do, you will google what you're looking for and no doubt find it. The number of incidents where people have run on roads and not ended up a bit dead are almost infinite.

I went for a run this morning and I think about 14 miles of it was on the road. It was a lovely run through the countryside, an elegant loop around some of nicest parts of where I live. I also do a similar route off road but that wasn't on my agenda today. 

Now because I do think for myself I did this run at 6am on a Sunday morning, it was not until mile 10 that I saw my first car, I thought of you at this point so I hope you're flattered. In total I counted about 10 cars over the course of my run. I saw at least 3 times as many bikes and a couple of walkers.

Most people said hello, there was even a wave from someone in a car. It was all very pleasant and safe. Now of course there are plenty of roads that it would be stupid to run on and also times of the day that it's not a great idea too, like when it's dark  :)

If it dissuades one or two people from running on roads, it serves its purpose. It's worth taking some stick from the mainly anonymous clique of scummy gameplaying arseholes who live on this site, to achieve that.

You have an interesting take on the people on this site. I would characterise most of them as runners and almost all seem like decent people. I have met quite a few too and they are without exception top people. I think runners generally are. It's not that there's a clique, it's just that everyone seems to be in agreement that you're a ridiculous idiot. I can only conclude that you're not even a runner.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

A road is only as safe as the next vehicle that comes along causes it to be. I've said what I want to say. I don't have an agenda.

Not true. You can react and mitigate danger. There are dangers in the world Col, apparently some aren't even safe when walking on the pavement these days.

You do have an agenda in that you don't consider both sides of the argument. You're stupid in this regard. 

You agree that cars are a danger to others, so why not ban cars from the road. The roads were there for cyclists, runners, walkers and horses long before the motorcar was invented. People were happily walking about until this lethal contraption was invented.

I say limit all cars to 25 mph except on A roads. 

• My thread has ended in disaster.

:(

Poor Colin.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Sorry I though this was a UK forum, a cursory look of those videos are from abroad and the vast majority on major roads. 
    I'd agree that there really is little need to run on major roads (or these at least have footpaths).
    I could also post 100s of videos of a-hole motorists involved in driving acts of stupidity, which would show that idiots of all types use the roads.

I'd agree that if you live in a largely urban area then aside from crossing roads (that have road crossings) there is no need to run on roads. 
    In rural areas then often there is little choice. I can do many stretches on trail and footpath, but often there are long stretches (1-2 miles at at time) where the road, often single track, is the only available 'right of way'.
    If a runner chooses to wear headphones, then I'd agree with Colin, they are an idiot. 
    I can hear traffic, often hear the whoosh of cyclists, or switch sides to see round corners.
    I'd take my chances being hit by a pushbike, not so a car. 

On country lanes where frequently the speed limit is 'national', then I'd argue travelling at 60 mph where there is no overtaking places, no room for two way traffic and frequent blind corners,would make striking anything (runner, car, cyclist) at a very minimum , negligent.

I recall my driving test highway code question (taken in 1984) : "what should you expect to see coming towards you on your side of the road on a country lane?"
    I answered correctly "A pedestrian".
    If that's still in there, then Colin clearly doesn't know his highway code.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    My thread has ended in disaster.

:(

Poor Colin.
    au contraire, this has been thread gold  :D
  • Colin you are wrong - the roads are not just there for 'fast things'.

Drivers taking corners wide are going too fast for the circumstances and will rightly be prosecuted if they kill someone. It doesn't have to be a runner - it could be a broken down car, or tractor or anything.  You need to be able to stop in your range of view.

I hope you don't drive. 
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    As far as I know the definition of a public road is that it is for use by the public, which includes walkers, runners, horse-riders, cyclists, motor bikers, cars and all other forms of motorised transport.

Just because one category endangers another should not preclude them from using the same public road, i.e. its the car driver who is at fault if they endanger the life of a walker/runner/cyclist - Not the walker/runner/cyclist who endangers no one.

Having said that I still avoid running on the country lanes nearby, but then I have a large country park nearby, but not all are so lucky. If you live in a rural area it may be run on the road or no run at all. 

But the problem is drivers not runners.

• I always look forward to your posts Colin.  Always a laugh. Cheers.
  • GradgeGradge ✭✭✭
    rather off topic of course but what about the runner who allegedly pushed woman under a bus?I've felt a bit of "joggers rage" often enough although it is usually reserved for motorists though pedestrians also at times have heard the wrath of my tongue!
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jogger-pushed-woman-in-front-of-bus-rage-man-feminism-sexism-misogyny-right-questions-a7884126.html
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    He must be pretty worried about it, I would if anyone referred to me as a jogger.
  • GradgeGradge ✭✭✭
    In the past I was offended if referred to as a jogger now I'm happy folk just acknowledge that I'm moving!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited August 2017
    edited August 2017
    edited August 2017
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Mr Worry said:
    bored now
    Over three hours of posting Youtube videos to a forum where everyone else thinks you're a git! I think you've got issues...

It's called research.

Not sure searching You Tube for videos that support your opinion is acceptable research methodology. Not even in bold.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭

Colin McLaughlin said:
    I answered "A dead pedestrian".

The examiner called that answer "funny but realistic".

No you didn't. No he didn't.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    So desperate to be right that you make up lies about your driving instructor. You're laughable Colin, I guess the clue is in the name.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    As a counter thought, given runners (pedestrians) shouldn't be on roads, does that mean cars shouldn't be on pavements?
    We've all done that weaving up and down into roads where cars seem to park with gay abandon up and down kerbs, leaving little room for a runner (let alone a baby buggy)
    Maybe it's wrong of me to key them all as I go past, but hopefully it gets the point across.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    You really do have a bee in you bonnet about this Colin.

Do you have a job? You seem to be permanently on the look out for some kind of petty crusade, like you have nothing better to do with your life. Is this what you do once you've given up halfway through the Daily Mail crossword, google for small bits of evidence to support your ridiculous views?

Are you really advocating a nanny state, how are you going to enforce all these silly restrictions?