Sprained ankle during half marathon training

Hi everyone,

I'm running the Royal Parks Half in October - 11 weeks away - for Macmillan after recently losing my dad to cancer. It means a lot to me that I can run it. Whilst I've run races up to half marathon before, when I started training for this race I'd become pretty unfit again so I'd just been getting back into a routine of running 3 times a week, running between 2k and 5k each time (following the Macmillan beginners plan).

With the race being just 11 weeks away, I went out today aiming to run 6k then increase by 1-2k a week. About 1k in I twisted my ankle quite badly running from grass onto pavement so had to limp home. I'd already twisted it a couple of other times recently but by the time I'd walked home I felt fine, whereas this time I've rested all day, kept it elevated with intermittent ice and it still hurts. It's only a little bit swollen though, no bruises (yet?), and whilst it hurts to walk, it's not excruciating.

The NHS advice has scared me:
"Generally, after an ankle sprain you'll probably be able to walk a week or two after the injury. You may be able to use your ankle fully after six to eight weeks, and you'll probably be able to return to sporting activities after eight to 12 weeks."

How worried should I be? I really want to do the Half, it would be nice to get a PB (>2h18) but I'd be happy just to get round really. I was thinking of taking a week off training completely, then perhaps cross-training in the gym (cycling?) for a week, then get back to running but on a treadmill for a bit. Does that sound realistic or am I pushing my luck? Also conscious I'll then only have 9 weeks to go from 5k to 21k. I'm otherwise healthy, slim, eat healthily, don't smoke or drink, so it's really just about getting my legs and heart strong enough to run the distance.

Thanks all,
J

Comments

• TTTT ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this, ankles can take a long time to heal. May I suggest as much rest as possible from running but as much cross training as possible? Swimming (front crawl to strengthen ankles), spin classes so you really are out of breath, bike for the long 'recovery runs'. I would also see a physio to check. I am not a medic but the above worked for me. 
  • Hi J. I'm running in the same race and have had the same injury. I sprained my ankle in June which caused huge swelling and lots of bruising. With physio I've been nursing myself back to full fitness and today (5 weeks before the big day), I've gone and turned it again badly on a bit of rock in the road. I'm gutted, as I'm trying to hard to be fit for this race.

I am off to minor injuries tomorrow, but worried at how little time I now have to recover.