How to adjust my easy pace when trail running

Hi is there any formula or site which can help me adjust my training paces, currently I run my long easy runs at 9:00 – 9:15 per mile when on the road – but lately I have started to do these longer runs along a trail, I am mostly running along a river bank which the ground is uneven and a mixture of grass / mud and shingle etc. I started running these a bit slower at 9:30 pace but that was tough and not easy so I have slowed my pace down to even more to a 9:45 pace however this still seemed too hard for an easy long run. I know I should be running by feel which I am, both heart rate and breathing are nice and easy yet my legs and body come back feeling like I have just run a race. So am I running at the right pace and I just have to wait for my legs to catch up with my fitness when running this type or terrain or should I slow it down even more ?

Comments

• I'd just slow it down a bit more. The uneven terrain will take it out of your legs a bit more if you're not used to it. Whilst the ground is more forgiving you are going to be using your hip flexors etc more to stabilise yourself - one of the reasons it's good training. Once your legs get used to it you can increase your effort again and run to your usual easy HR.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're looking for something that doesn't exist. I'd treat it like a different thing all together, rather than comparing the paces. I mean how did you establish the pace of your road runs in the first place.

You've answered your own question with the HR/feel comment. I do find it surprising that you feel that much more tired though. If it's just a flat river path then it shouldn't be that different in terms of the fatigue, especially in the summer when the paths are firm.
  • I do love a trail but my pace is so uneven if the trail is tough that I don't bother worrying about it too much and see any flats as recovery time and hills as...well, runnable at times and not at others. I am training for a trail half at the end of the year and all I want to do is get round the route in under 2.5 hours (there's lots of big hills).
  • samoffsamoff ✭✭✭
    I think what you're experiencing here is a really good training session. Keep this up and you'll come out of it with stronger legs and core. That'll adjust the relative limits of your ability when you go back on the roads and, who knows, maybe lift you up to another level.