Brighton Marathon 2018

Comments

• Yes totally agree with adding some marathon pace miles into your double digit and long runs. Today for example I ran 13 miles steady at 7.45 pace but ran 5 miles in last half at 6.45 avg. Definitely a good way to get the body use to marathon pace when you are getting tired. If you are easily running your whole long run at marathon pace then the obviously answer is that that in fact isn't your marathon pace and you should be aiming higher. I'm up to 18m in long run now but won't run long than that until the second half of Feb. 

No idea about buses in Brighton I'm afraid. All I did read though is that the race organisers changed the courses specifically so the main bus route could continue to run throughout the day. So that should help coming from Hove I expect.
  • Cheers Disco Stu,

You are obviously aiming for sub 3 in Brighton? Me too! 
  • Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I think you should be doing your long run about 1 min/mile slower than marathon pace, until the end where you should try and speed up closer to MP if you can
    In terms of importance is
    1) get the run done
    2) get the distance in
    3) Icing on the cake if you can is speed up last few miles close to MP

In my first few marathons in training i could not do 3) as I was far too knakered by the end of the run, now I can but still hard work.

• Cheers for the input Fat boy trim. Very Interesting to see what different people doing in their training. ?
  • That's the plan Alan but I'm just gonna see how the next 8 weeks goes first. I never intended to even think about sub3 in the Spring. My goal race is Warsaw marathon in September and I intended to (and still do) plan to build up steadily strength, speed and endurance over a much longer sustained training programme but with lower weekly mileage than all typical sub3 training plans. But things seem to be going well at the moment even on 35-40m weeks so I probably will end up starting at 6.50 pace and just see what happens. But if my training tells me 2 weeks out that 6.50 is too fast than I may go out slower and if I feel good after 15 miles then see what I have left in the tank at the end. 
  • Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I've just signed up for Brighton and am very excited.

corr sub 3, you're in different league to me.  My best is 3.51 but I'm confident I can do sub 3.30 (hmm confidentish anyway), anything more is a bonus

Doing bramley 20 miler next weekend which should give good indication of where I am

I'm also doing cranleigh 15/21 3 weeks before brighton - I'm getting conflicting advice
    Option 1: Do 15 hard
    Option 2: Do 21 easy but with hard last 5

I'm thinking 2, my plan has been fairly fluid (as much running as poss with at least one speed session and one long run each week)

best of luck everyone
    Richard
  • Richard, from my previous experience.

3 weeks out it should not really matter how hard you run this BUT, it is fast miles at the end of a race which trash your muscles, so if you want to preserve yourself do not run the last miles hard.
    when I run marathons close together and target the 2nd marathon i run the last miles easy.
  • Disco Stu,
    Sounds like a sensible plan? I started my marathon training back In November after I failed to make the start line of the Dublin marathon. All has been going well. I'm hitting 60 miles a week at the moment and the legs are holding up nicely. I'm racing this Sunday in a 10 mile race which I plan in running at 6:20 pace. Then in March I have a half marathon so should know by then what my target time will be. 

Cheers 
    Al 
  • Sounds like I need to slow it down a bit if anything then, was up to 15miles on my long run, barely made 6 this week before calf tightened up and ended up playing safe & cutting it short, bit annoying but all part of the game.
    edited February 2018
    Ah the man flu has finally got me. No running this week by the looks of it for me.
    mtbdee - you take the flu and i will do your miles...:)
  • Low week for me this week too. I always step right off the gas every fourth week. However I ran our club 2.5m handicap race on Wednesday and managed my fastest time in 5 years which was nice. But may have aggravated a knee issue in the process. Now in two minds whether I should run Saturdays XC race. Final one of the season too and I've improved all season so was looking forward to it. May just need to see how it feels tomorrow and even in the warm up. I know I shouldn't probably run but had heart set on this one. 
  • Did you do the x country stu?  it wasn't Lloyd park was it?  I ducked out of that one because of race on sunday. The flu is a constant issue at this time of year and should just be expected, maybe build a couple of extra weeks into the plan just in case - it is annoying though (I wish I was an elite athelete off to sunny climes)

I did bramley 20 miles yesterday in 2.31 - ran an awful second half, no way I would have been able to do 6 more miles, started too quickly and just clung on at end.  So feeling a bit down on my poor execution but overall pleased with the time.

Very busy diary means a need to snatch a few miles over next couple of weeks and then will be trying a 23 miler on 25th Feb, not a race so intend to pace it much better, then 18th march is the only date I can do another long run, but even that is looking shakey.

How was everyone else's weekend running? was lovely morning for it on sunday, but very glad i didn't need to run on saturday, weather was awful.
  • What xc where you doing Stu was racing at Lloyd park Saturday muddiest one yet but good fun. Thanks for the offer Fat boy trim but think I will stick with the miles for now. Managed 16miles yesterday and all felt ok. Not bad after xc on Sat.
  • I'm running my first marathon in Brighton this year and looking for some training advice. I'm a decent runner, PBs are sub-40 at 10k, sub 1.29 at half marathon, and 18:30 at 5k. All set last year so I'm in pretty good shape.

Now, I'm worried that I'm over-cooking my long runs. I'm up to 16 miles running at 7.55 per mile pace. It's tiring on the muscles especially as I live in Surrey and I can't train without some nasty hills. I rest the next day and then the day after I am fine for a quality 10k at 6.45 pace.

I wanted to aim for 3.20 in the marathon, so 7.37 pace. Do you think it's a good idea to dial down the pace of my long runs? I was thinking of going as low as 8.15 pace.

I will also get four long runs of 20+ miles before going for a two week taper. Do you think this is enough to hit my goal time for the marathon itself?

Thanks for any help.
  • Hi Croydonrunner from what everyone is saying slowing the pace down a bit on those LSR's seems to be the way to go, would have said that four 20mile+ runs was overdoing it a bit personally but you are way quicker than me anyway so could depend on how you are feeling.
    I have found marathon distance to be a bit of a leveller esp for first timers, ran with a few guys last year who were tackling 26.2 for the first time and even though over 10k or half distances they would leave me behind easily ended up finishing about 20mins before most of them.
    Good luck.
  • Ultra Disco StuUltra Disco Stu ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Richard2 - our club (LBAC) is in the XC Chiltern League. Milton Keynes Campbell Park last weekend. Run went well thanks and achieved my target of finishing higher up in every XC is season. I just need to up the mileage slightly now on my long runs. 

CR2 - with a Parkrun time of 18.30 I would say that 8 mpm pace for your long run is about right actually but taking off another 15 seconds from that won't impact your race on the day. I've recently done some half marathon distance training runs at marathon pace which is mainly for mental training not physical. And yes you are right in that it will take longer to recover from a speedy long run. My strategy now for my 18+ long run will be to start steady about 45 seconds under Marathon pace for 5-8 miles then pick up pace to race pace for 5 miles then slow it down to the end. I run a long the canal for these runs so no hills to factor in. You should obviously factor that in to your long run and is good training anyway so don't avoid the hills. 

Anyone got any races this weekend? Good luck if you have. I'm running the MK half on Sunday to try and see where I am fitness wise. I also need to improve the 'evidence' of my predicted finish time to Brighton organisers as my current power of ten doesn't suggest I'm capable of running a sub 3.30 at the moment because I haven't trained and raced properly for 5 years. So I need a sub 1.30 tomorrow to satisfy the Brighton organisers otherwise they may stick me at the back with the fancy dress brigade! Haha. 
  • CR2, your times are almost identical to mine (apart from 5k) and i run marathons in around 3:10-3:20, so looks like your predicted time is about right.

The pace of your long run does not really matter but should be easy for the first 50-75% (8:00-8:30 min miles) and then speed up in the later part of the run to closer to MP pace (around 7:40 min miles).
    Bad case of flu for me and no running for 3 weeks now.....
  • Hey guys quiet on here again but that's probably because everyone is busy training. Had a good run out at the rescheduled MK Winter Half Marathon on Sunday. A lovely morning with the sun in the sky and 5 degrees which was perfect running weather. Never overheated which I often do through wearing too many layers so opted for the club vest and arm warmers which worked out perfectly. I got talked into going out at a faster pace than I originally intended by club mates which by 8 miles in I was thinking was a big mistake as I started to suffer. In the end though I finished a minute inside my plan A goal so was stoked with that and gives me confidence going into final training phase. Hope everyone else's training is going well. 
  • Hi guys, first time poster and Brighton will be my first marathon! Joined up to get a feel of what training others are doing and find out more about what to expect from myself and the day.

My marathon specific training has been very poor to say the least but luckily I have a career that means I do some form of demanding exercise most days so I have a good base level of fitness. I have been throwing sporadic runs in on top of this when I get the chance. So far my milage hasn't exceeded 25 a week which I think will be my downfall on the day.

I cracked out a 40.11 10k a couple of days ago on the lanes which I was pretty happy with and I have done a couple of slow halfs over the past couple of months with another planned for tomorrow.

My goal for the next 5 weeks is to increase my milage from 25 to 35+ then bring it right back down a week or two before the race. Race day my target is 03:30 but I'll be content under 3:45 if things go tits up because of my lack of milage. You guys think that's reasonable?
  • Clarky,
    a 40 min 10k is impressive and would suggest a 3:20 marathon time, but as you say <25 miles a week is not enough to run a constant quick pace for 26 miles. as you say if you can get that mileage to 35 for a 4-6 weeks then it will make a massive difference. my first few marathons we about 35 miles a week, and it was enough to get round pretty well, but would not like to try on 25 miles a week.
    I think your target of 3:30-3:45 sounds about right. Concentrate on those longs runs mainly.
     you will enjoy the day more.

Well done on the half disco stu
  • > @"Fat Boy Trim" said:
    > CR2, your times are almost identical to mine (apart from 5k) and i run marathons in around 3:10-3:20, so looks like your predicted time is about right.
    > The pace of your long run does not really matter but should be easy for the first 50-75% (8:00-8:30 min miles) and then speed up in the later part of the run to closer to MP pace (around 7:40 min miles).
    > Bad case of flu for me and no running for 3 weeks now.....

Thanks Fat Boy. Still hoping to hit my target of 3:20. I did a 19 mile long run at 8 min mile pace this week which left me very achy and I'm pretty sure I will have to take down the pace for at least half of my next 20 mile long run otherwise it will start to affect my other workouts. Also ran a hard half marathon and took my PB below 1:28 so the training is doing me some good. The next aim is also to get around a long run without needing to take a pee halfway around.
  • 4th long run of the campaign in the bag yesterday. 20 miles with 8 miles at MP (4 at start and end). Just 4 weeks to go!! Interestingly I've looked back at my last 4 months of training and added up the miles. I'm a low volume runner and really don't believe in just racking up the miles. But I was still surprised at the figure. 400 miles in total over 16 weeks so avg just 25 miles per week. Most will think this is far too low to adequately prepare for a marathon but my training is going well and I'm the fastest I have been in 5 years.

So interested what the range of weekly mileage is for you guys in your prep for Brighton? 

Good luck with everyones  weekend long run.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

I'm hoping to toe the line this year having picked up an injury 4 weeks before the day in 2007.

I was in pretty good shape last year and was targeting c. 3:05 although I'm not sure how I would have coped with the heat.

UDS - I'm hoping there is still 5 weeks left!  Sounds like your training has gone really well.  The miles might be low but at least you've got a reasonable number of long runs in. Being bereft of natural speed, high volume works for me, so I've been averaging 60-75 miles over the last 13 weeks. 

• Training going pretty good for me too. 22 mile long run done last week which is my second 22 mile run. Hitting 50+ miles a week and the body is holding up well. Running a half marathon tomorrow but not gonna race it, instead I'm running it at marathon pace. I might up the pace towards the end if I'm feeling good.

Question for you all. Just wondering how many gels are you taking on long runs?  I take one every 5 miles which seems to be working .

Good luck with all the long runs tomorrow ?
  • Can't wait for Brighton Marathon....it's always a great one to support especially around Basin road area (so lonely), who's going to be handing out jelly babies?
  • SBD and Alan some good mileage there which will see you well prepared and feeling strong on race day.

Is it really 5 weeks SBD? Damn you are right. These 31 day months always catch me out. I've been planning for 4 so gotta do more running now. Hope I don't peak too early but at my mileage that's very unlikely. 
  • Scott DScott D ✭✭✭

I personally don't think you should not run all your long runs at MP, you shouldn't even run the majority at MP.

Mine are all run at about 1mm slower than MP but as others have said, I sometimes close out the last 2-3 miles / 20-30 mins progressively up to as fast as 10k pace.

I think you need to do some of your long runs slow (build endurance and teach body to burn fat) but you also need to add MP efforts so I also did a few where I added sessions in such as 2 x 30 mins at MP / 5 min recovery amongst others - I paid for a training plan from a coach so I am not sure he would appreciate me sharing all of the efforts but they all involved intervals at MP).

You can run your long run too fast, you can run all your training sessions too fast but that is really the only session you need to really push it.  I am running recovery runs and easy runs in between long and intervals and these are never faster than 45s per mile slower than MP unless I add strides or close out a medium run.

• ADGADG ✭✭✭
    I'm dns, one hamstring went, then the other, and top of thigh, couldn't run for about 3 months, Does anyone know if I can transfer the number, hate to see it go to waste.
  • Hey ADG , check out the Deferrals section in your runners email. Maybe that could help you ? Sorry to hear you are injured so close to D- Day . 
    edited March 2018
    Im just hoping the bloody weather picks up before D-Day!