How to get good at running up a decent hill for a long time

Ok so I've not long since moved house and near me is the Pentland hills and I've been running round a few tracks there. A goal I've set myself is to run from the bottom to the top of one of the big long hills in 1 go. It's about 1-1.5 miles I'd say and is all uphill with varying inclines.

I'm currently having to stop a few times on my way up but I was wondering what sort of training would you do to meet this goal of mine?

Usually I'll go training 4-5 times a week and will vary it from steady runs to hill sprints and sometimes do weighted runs (10kg steady as an example due to been in forces so it's work fitness)

Comments

• CrazeeTCrazeeT ✭✭✭
    Well if you can't get up the hills without weights I certainly wouldn't be trying them with weight. 
  • m20177m20177 ✭✭
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/CrazeeT">CrazeeT</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Well if you can't get up the hills without weights I certainly wouldn't be trying them with weight. </div>
    </blockquote>
    I wouldn't go up the big one with weight it's a completely different and easier route with weight 
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I'd just keep plugging away, trying to go a little further before stopping each time.  Eventually, you will make it.
  • build your leg strength in the gym. squats and or deadlifts. heavy weights 8 to 10 reps x 3.  it should burn by the end of each go.  if you add into your running training; you WILL NOT build big muscle. Running up hills is fatiguing on the Achilles tendon I therefore recommend that you add into your training single leg calve raising exercises too.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    If you want to get better at running uphill, your first port of call should be to run uphill in training as Nessie suggests. This will provide far more specific strengthening than anything you can do in the gym. Nothing wrong with doing gym work but it will be less effective and more time consuming. 
  • Are you stopping entirely or stopping running? 

If the later try to keep moving by walking briskly rather than stopping.  Over time you can try to increase the running bits and reduce the walking bits.  Also run by effort not by pace and do small steps.    
  • I never stop entirely just fast walk when I need to. I've noticed already I'm getting better through repetition and training in that sort of area as opposed to just flat.
    If anything it's basically a walk by the the time I stop jogging it gets that slow. Calfs just feel like they are on fire and feel like swelling. Then the burning moves onto my quads
  • Set treadmill to an easy comfortable pace and run on 5 to 10% incline. For a bigger challenge set the treadmill to a slower pace and run on 10 to 15% incline. Long runs, easy runs and speed work run on 0 to 2% incline on treadmill. 
  • Update to this. I made it all the way up today without stopping. Just started of slow and kept pace. Didn't feel like it was much faster than a walk but was a jog all the same