Options

need help with mixing my own electrolytes, and sourcing materials for it.

I have a three hour run planned in late September and I'm currently training for it. At the moment I'm pretty much completely depleted in various minerals, and I just about manage half the run before my muscles go on strike. Thus I need a good solution for this. I'm only looking at magnesium and potassium, plus some sodium. As the product I'm looking for does not exist, always contains calcium (that inhibits Mg absorption) or contains what I'm looking for in a far too low dose I wonder where to get materials to mix something myself and carry around in my water bottle. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    have you tried Elete?  https://eletewater.co.uk/

I'm intrigued to know how you can put muscle tiredness down to lack of minerals, how do you know you're depleted in minerals?
  • Options
    LiliaceaLiliacea ✭✭✭
    I don't say I have muscle tiredness but very different, more severe problems. And yes, it's been tested and under investigation why. A deficiency that is visible in serum only develops once the storage in bones and muscles is nearly depleted. With Mg for example I need 3x the daily dose spread out over the day, next to a diet rich in this stuff to be kind of symptom-free for most of the day apart from nights and mornings. But once I run and start to sweat things go completely wrong.

Hmm.. this water looks interesting, though it doesn't say what kind of magnesium is used, and if this is pure elemental Mg (dosage would be fine) or a Mg compound (seems more likely). If the latter then this is too little to do anything. And with regards to the type: Mg citrate can cause stomach cramps and diarrhea. What exactly they use should be mentioned. Thus this is not a good website if those guys really aim at professionals.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    It's a very good website and is aimed at professionals, it does tell you the source of the electrolytes used. If you need to know more just email them and they will tell you.
    The concentrate is added to water and it does say that too much can cause diarrhoea.  

I'm sorry I responded to your post now as I now remember you from other threads and you often have a negative attitude to anyone trying to help
  • Options
    LiliaceaLiliacea ✭✭✭
    No, I'm glad about your help, Shades. Sorry if I sound negative. It's not personal. If you're constantly at GPs or A&E you get annoyed. I should certainly not reflect that on other people. I did write them an email as this product does sound interesting.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Good, I hope they come back to you with the info you need.

I've used Elete for several years as the sugars in sports drinks upset my stomach in a race and the tablet form of sugar free electrolytes make me burp!   With the Elete I can carry a tiny bottle and add a few drops to water.   However for my last few races I've started with the salt tablets again, and I seem to be getting used to them now.
  • Options
    LiliaceaLiliacea ✭✭✭
    Shades, thanks for sharing your experience. I think I will try it and see how it works. If it does, then I might also be able to get all ingredients and mix it myself. It would be chaper in the long run.

Given where this magnesium in Elete comes from, and it's probably magnesium chloride, one of the few fully soluble forms. Unless they chemically split the magnesium from the chloride the actual amount of Mg in this might be a lot lower. Lets wait for an answer :)