Toe blisters...

MacMac ✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in Health + Injury
Hi all,
I use orthotics although they are several years old now.
Since running in Asics Nimbus I never had any blister issues, only knee pain when the cushioning started to go.
My last incarnation were 14's and when I went to change them the new versions, the 19's were too narrow, too firm and generally not right. The dream was over!
This started the horror that was shoe buying all over again as I have always struggled to find shoes that suited my orthotics and my funny feet.
I have narrow heels but a wide forefoot, especially when my weight (12st 10lb) is fully on.
After a frustrating session trying various versions on at my local running shop I finally (after trying the Nimbus 19 and returning them after only one run) settled on a pair of Brooks Glycerin 14's. They were comfy, lots of cushioning and seemed to fit OK.
The sales assistant was helpful to a point but was clearly wanting me to just make my mind up and sod off.
However, apart from being not very responsive (not a huge issue as I'd rather protect my 55 year old knees than up my pace) they give me blisters on my left foot (only) on the tip of my index toe, next to my big toe and on the outer edge of the big toe itself.
Not on my right foot though?!
I've tried every configuration I can think of such as removing the sock liner and inserting the orthotic, keeping the sock liner and inserting the orthotIc (with sock liner both on top and underneath orthotic) and even wearing two pairs of socks and to no avail, the toe blisters laugh at my attempts.

Am I missing something?
Could it be that the new shoes simply do not hold the orthotic as well as my old Nimbus shoes thus allowing my feet to roll?
Are they too big or too small perhaps?
Is it just that the toe box (which seems roomy enough) is just the wrong shape for me?

Help please as I don't want to waste more money on yet another pair only do have similar issues.

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried lock lacing?   If you're getting blisters on the end of your toes your shoes are either too small or your feet are sliding to the front of the shoe and hitting the toe box.   Try lock lacing or try elastic laces which hold the shoe more firmly on the foot.   It's usual for one foot to be a larger than the other.
  • MacMac ✭✭✭
    Hi Shades and thanks for your response.
    I have tried lace locking which helped with heel slip but sadly not the toe blisters.
    I have noticed a slight improvement when I over tighten my laces but that leads to discomfort on the top of my foot as I have a bony bump which doesn't mix well with tight laces. Also although that does improve slightly the blisters do persist after a few miles.
    Im wondering if they are just the wrong shoes?
    Trouble is how do you know when buying? I mean the treadmill may feel fine for a few minutes but it's only when we "road test" them, preferably several times, that we really find out if the shoes are right, by which time it's usually too late to return them.
    Why couldn't they just leave the old Nimbus alone instead of making them too narrow for me  :s
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Have you tried the elastic laces, I use them in all my shoes and never had any blisters or hot spots as even on steep downhills or steep cambers my foot stays in place.   They will stop the pain on the top of your foot from tight lacing.

It's a shame after you've been using your 'perfect' shoe for ages that a small change can make them unusable for you.  Unfortunately you'll just have to keep trying to find an alternative, lots of research, read every shoe review, you can't be the only person this has happened too, so you need to find out what shoe others are using as an alternative to your Nimbus.

This is a good shoe review site

https://runrepeat.com/asics-gel-nimbus-19

I just looked at the Nimbus 19 and in the negatives others said that it was narrower than before.  If you scroll right to the foot of the page it offers alternative shoes of a similar type.

• MacMac ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Hi, I do have a set of elastic laces so it's definatly worth a try.
    I think I may look at the Asics Dynaflytes as they seem to get good reviews.
    I avoided the hem last time as I was concerned they may not last long enough as my only pair as I weight 12st 10lb and worried the cushioning either wasn't enough or would break down too soon?
    Got to be better than blisters though?
  • MacMac ✭✭✭
    Soooooo.....I'll just err....let you all know how I get on?.....err..yeah ok......
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mac - if that doesn't work maybe visit a different running shop and quiz the staff there on your problem.   Ask the others in your running club, maybe they've had the same problem.

Have you considered that you might no longer need your orthotics?  Or they could be causing the problem?