Paris Marathon 2018

Comments

• 3PC03PC0 ✭✭
    Hello Mr K

Nimpy - medal positions dont have to be a time. High Fiving 26 children, dancing at every band stop, selfies with fancy dress runners. Finishing sounds good.
  • Convocation is available since yesterday on the ASO website if anyone has missed it !
  • jm94jm94 ✭✭
    Didn't imagine I'd ever run a marathon but I lost a bet, so here I am. One week to go and I'm quite looking forward to it. Before I started training I actually hated running, however, I've realised it's actually very therapeutic when you can mentally'switch off' after getting into your rhythm.

I had been hoping to run a sub 4-hour marathon but I haven't been training for the last 4/5 weeks after injuring my foot playing football. At that point, the most I'd ran was 13 miles (1hr 50) in training which was actually quite comfortable. I've been doing some light training this week - ran 5 miles to test my foot and went spinning. I'm going to go for a long run tomorrow (aiming to go 16 miles) to really test it, but it feels fine.

Not being able to train properly has made me want to do another. I'm not someone who likes doing things in half-arsed, so am considering signing up for the London Marathon in 2019.
  • PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the course description Pistol. 
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hello All.
    I'm not running Paris this year but it holds a really special place in my heart, having made friends with loads of special runners.
    I just thought I'd pop in and wish everyone a great run in a marvellous city.
    3PCO - hello buddy, how's it going?

Dont forget to look around. One of our regulars actually missed the Eiffel Tower on a number of occasions. 
    Watch out for people crossing the course. I nearly ran into an elderly French lady by the Louvre who decided that she wanted to be on the other side of the road. There is even video footage of a woman weaving across runners, pushing a prom.

Watch out for orange peel at feeding stations, that stuff gives banana peel a run for its money.

Keep an eye out for the firemen. They'll often extend ladders over the course and sit above runners. They are always great supporters.

Finally, wear your medal to the pub. You'll have earned it and you should be proud of it.

Have a great time 

• DoddsDodds ✭✭
    minminminminh - Sorry to hear but as others have said better to find out now rather than have problem pushing yourself

Jen - also sorry to hear. Maybe plan another one soon.

Aw3 - listen to your head on pace!

Great to hear all the taper madness starting to kick in :). The last weekend always amuses me when a 13 mile run is a relief.

I will head over to the Frog once I have recovered.
  • Is there one of those Blue Lines on the road  to follow ?
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    Is anyone else obsessing over the weather forecast?! BBC weather now forecasting 20 degrees...?
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Maxnmuffin 
    There is a line but it's often difficult to see due to the number of people. I think it may be green.
    Dont forget, the line is the measured distance and not necessarily the shortest route.
    My tip, unless you are running with the elites, follow the people in front of you  :)
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Maxnmuffin I don't remember seeing a line last year - probably too many people, as Orbutt says.
    StephA I'm checking daily. It goes up a degree, then down a degree. Last year I lived in hope of the forecasters getting it wrong. They didn't. But that's inspired me on for this year! Take suncream...
  • Hi everyone,

First time poster here and second time marathon runner (after Venice in 2017) living in London.

Like a total idiot, I booked a Eurostar from London to Paris that doesn’t get in until 20:47 on Saturday 7 April! You guessed my problem... no time to collect my bib.

I’ve looked into changing my ticket but it’s gling to be about 200 eurosnto do so, which I just can’t afford. I’m gutted that I might have to miss the marathon, but wondering if anyone on here might be able to help me out in some way, with tips, advice, ideas...? 

My fingers are firmly crossed that there’s some solution to this that doesn’t cost me an arm and a leg. Thanks! 

Dylan 
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Someone can collect it for you if they have a copy of your convocation, ID and medical certificate I believe. Maybe someone on here could collect it?
  • AW3AW3 ✭✭✭
    Really excited about this now! Did my last proper sessions at the weekend, some hill reps on Friday and an easy 13 mile tapering long run yesterday, so now just keeping things ticking over until the weekend!

I'm glad to see the rain forecast has changed to sunshine, but just hoping that the temperatures don't rise too much further! 

Consolations to all of you who won't make the start line or haven't got in as much training as you'd like. I've been there numerous times before but just remember there'll be plenty of more opportunities  
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    @FRG2 it’s up to 22 today!! Sunscreen, glasses and cap at the ready!!
  • Hopefulrunner1 - one of the former regulars may be able to help, watch this space.
  • Running Rodent / Kenno, thank you very much for your responses. As it happens, I think I've found a friend of a friend in London who is going to help me out and collect my bib! Hurrah.
    Thanks again.
  • Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    The forum managed to find someone an entire running kit a couple of years ago! If your flying don't put your kit in the hold!

Paris does like to turn the weather up a little bit, plenty of time for the forecast to change...although it does seem to be getting warmer by the day!

• M4ttyM4tty ✭✭
    Hey Pistol101, are you still taking numbers for pasta on Saturday night? If so, please put me down. I look forward to seeing you all then. Not long now!! :-)
  • Count me in for pasta too! 
  • Can I book 3 for the Pasta and 5 for frog revolution please. Can't wait now.
  • Hi everyone,

First time poster here and second time marathon runner (after Venice in 2017) living in London.

Like a total idiot, I booked a Eurostar from London to Paris that doesn’t get in until 20:47 on Saturday 7 April! You guessed my problem... no time to collect my bib.

I’ve looked into changing my ticket but it’s gling to be about 200 eurosnto do so, which I just can’t afford. I’m gutted that I might have to miss the marathon, but wondering if anyone on here might be able to help me out in some way, with tips, advice, ideas...? 

My fingers are firmly crossed that there’s some solution to this that doesn’t cost me an arm and a leg. Thanks! 

Dylan 

Hello Dylan, I can collect your bib for you.  Sending you a PM.

• Running Rodent / Kenno, thank you very much for your responses. As it happens, I think I've found a friend of a friend in London who is going to help me out and collect my bib! Hurrah. 
    Thanks again.

I should have read further down the thread doh ...

Offer to collect still open if your friend can't.
  • Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    I'll do a quick tally up in a moment for Pasta and beer!
  • Just in case it's got lost in the thread, I'm definitely up for pasta and beer :) Anyone seen any clarification about the strikes on Monday? I'm supposed to be getting Eurostar train back to London around 5pm. As nice as Paris is I don't want to be getting stuck! :)
  • Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Pasta List
    Pistol101 x2
    Greg P x2
    @thisisben
    @Steves_midlifecrisis
    @LiamRunner7
    Sarah F
    @Dodds
    @M4tty
    @YvetteRalston
    @KellyR x3
    Total 14 
    If i've missed you off the list shout or if you've not replied let me know asap. It's likely we'll need to meet about 5pm for this, will get this confirmed asap.

Post Race Beers
    I've got 17 on the list so far, not so much of an issue on numbers here.
    Normally this kicks off at about 5pm.

• Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    @Osman2007 Will you be joining us for Pasta?
  • @Pistol101 I’m up for pasta. What time are you thinking? Will have 3 with me too if that’s possible? I was thinking to eat about 7.. gives me 12 hours before my 8.30 start but hopefully won’t be hungry later that evening!
  • Also other than the heat my one main concern is I have a coffee about hour / 90 minutes pre race but quite often need to go toilet after! Are there facilities available in the start area? I read there weren’t many toilets in recent years
  • DoddsDodds ✭✭
    Thank you Pistol101

Looking at the latest weather I need to cancel my Amazon running cap order and get some more Glide!
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    @Osma2007 toilets are not plentiful at the start. I found the best thing to do is go one pen up from where you want to be (you can change at the expo). When your pen starts, all
    the toilets in the pen will be free and you can use it. When you come out the next pen will come down and you start with them. 

Or if it’s a number 1 take a bottle and do it in that - you won’t be the only one.