Paris Marathon 2018

Comments

• Hi all and thanks to Jimbob for starting up a fresh forum. 

2018 will be my 5th consecutive Paris. Paris was also my first marathon. I guess that shows that I love it! 

Things will be a bit slow in here for a while as the event is still a way off, and while some of us need to slowly build up a base (myself included) the serious stuff doesn't start 'til around Christmas. 

Anyone new to Paris please do ask ask ask as many questions as you need- nothing is too trivial. 

Happy running,

natty

Purple 29595

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    I am entered. Booked my hotel but waiting for eurostar to open as i prefer to go on the train.
  • I recently ran a half marathon in 1:43.59. This was largely a trail run and I had done a reasonable though not enormous amount of training. I have run a full marathon before (London) and really enjoyed the experience but shin splints in the lead up meant I really wasn't in great shape and managed to complete it in 4:50:00.

I'm planning on doing Paris 2018, I've heard it's flat(ish) and a good atmosphere - easy to get to from London and a great event.

What I'm keen to know is thoughts on what a reasonable marathon time would now be? I'm eager to train hard, I'm loosing weight slowly but surely although that's not a major objective tbh and I suppose I am moderately healthy. I'm 94kg 180cm 29 years old and at the moment I can comfortably run 30-40km a week, typically at 5mins per km. In short I am fairly fit but driven and looking forward to committing to a new goal.

Any advice around what an achievable time would be come April would be much appreciated. As a guide I am planning on training pretty hard, but I have no aspiration of going beyond the 'enthusiastic participant' level if that makes sense!
  • PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    Dave the aasics sub 4 hour plan recommends that you can run a sub 1h50 in the lead up to the race and you sound like you are well ahead of this already.  You can use one of the race predictor times (there is a RW one), but at a guess and i would say at least 3.45/50
  • The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Welcome Fleet Girl, danthevan, danielofsmith, Maccatheknacca, RunDave and PG3.

On the subject of Bag drop, I didn't use it in 2013 and 2014 but last year I did use it and thought it was great so will always use it from now on. Comparable to London in the sense that you cross the line, walk along in a straight line and get your bag.

Good luck to those doing the "double" .... I know Eggy had a bit of a struggle in London 2013 which was 2 weeks after Paris. I also struggled mentally and physically after the Boston London double in 2015, was swearing at myself along Lower Thames Street.  Saying that, I did Paris / London last year which was 3 weeks apart. Paris was clear, calm and warm, like 20 degrees by 11am warm with no breeze or cloud cover. I, along with 45,000 other runners, wilted in the sun in the last 6 miles , I'm at the quicker end and I know the 4 to 5 hours runners had it tougher. My clubmate crossed the line about 10 mins after me and he looked pale and had a good vom before we went to Beer Station. (i'll talk about Beer Station more closer to the race). Anyway, 3 weeks later, I ran London in what I can describe as perfect running conditions and Aced a very good race by my standards (few seconds shy of pb territory) - so the double with the 3 week gap is a goodun really, but next year's being 2 weeks I am still considering it, can't be that bad right?

Keep the dossard numbers and zone colours coming in......
  • The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Starting Zones & Bib numbers
    Préférentiel / Preferential
    Rouge / Red
    3451 -  Maccatheknacca
    3750 -  0054
    Jaune / Yellow
    Bleu / Blue
    Violet / Purple
    29595 -  thisisnatty
    Vert / Green
    44777 - EHN
    45840 -  Fleet Girl
    68716 -  danthevan
    Gris / Grey
    Rose / Pink
    69194 - StephA
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    RunDave - I'd say it's hard to judge a marathon time off a trail half, but I'm guessing on a regular half you'd be coming in under 1:40.

If that's the case depending on how much under 1:40 you could be, and that you manage a good injury and illness free training schedule, I think you'd be aiming sub 3:45 and possibly lower.

To give you an idea my marathon PB is 3:44:14, my half PB is 1:37:00. I do think I can improve my marathon PB, as my half PB came after running my marathon PB but I broke my foot two days after running that half and as yet haven't been able to get an injury free run going long enough to get back to that running fitness level. That said I have managed with reasonable consistency to run sub 3:50 marathons and halfs in the 1:39/40 time zone since then.
  • Hi there I am interested in trying to register in the second wave starting on the 5th, apart from registering with ASO is there anything else I need to do? What is the likelihood of race entry this way? Apologies I have done quite a bit of searching on the websites but it's not that clear. Planning on travelling over from Australia.
  • ok update, i have been able to get my partner a registration through ASO challenges, but have been hanging on the payment page for an hour for my registration, is this normal?? Any suggestions?
  • Yes, perfectly normal.

The site always goes into meltdown the day the entries re-open. Don't worry it never sells out that quickly, so you'll get a place once you eventually get through.

One of the less fun things of the Paris Marathon is waiting for the website to start working again so you can register for the race.
  • Hi all :) This is my first ever marathon! I figured what better way to run your first than in a beautiful city like Paris!! I'm so excited!!! I bought the VIP supporter pass for my other half - anyone have experiences with this? What do your supporters usually do when they come to support? I.e. Meet at certain points in the race? Do they just meet you at the start and at the finish? Any tips? 
  • Hi Jimbob, sorry a bit late here but could you pop me in green please, bib number 43443. Thanks 
  • minminminminh - Welcome to the thread! You've picked a great event for your first marathon.

There is normally a forum support group that goes to certain points on the course. Paris is a good event if your partner wants to see you at a few places on the course. It's easy to navigate around on the Metro. I have a copy of a supporters guide that was written up by one of the Paris regulars that details how to get between a few good viewing points on the course. If you want a copy let me know and I'll send you it.

As for what your partner wants to do, you'd be a better judge of that. If they're comfortable using the public transport in Paris they can easily catch you at a few places on route by themselves. If they are less confident they could just plan to see you at the end. If they are slightly nuts they can join the support crew from here and join in the flag waving and screaming fun!
  • any more bib numbers and starting zones please and I'll update the list. 
  • Tired Legs, welcome back. Are you still in for NY? 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Hello folks, especially my old friend Jimbob. A long overdue return to the thread for me. Paris is part of my treble next year, Barcelona, Paris and then London.
    Barca is just for fun, I'll be pacing a slower friend. Paris and London are for real and I'll hope to pepper the 3 hour mark. Nice to be back in the warm bosom of the Paris thread.
  • Hello to all newbies.  It's years since I've been on the thread, nice to know it is still going strong.  Paris was my first marathon, in 2007, the year of the heatwave!  I've run it 8 times and volunteered in 2016.  I live just outside Paris. Won't be running it next year but will be supporting or volunteering.

As a warm up to the big day, there are 2 parkruns in Paris.  I'm a regular at the Bois de Boulogne one, the other is in Parc Montsouris which is hillier.  You could also try the breakfast run which is popular.

• Running RodentRunning Rodent ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Warm bosoms - ooh, la la, as they never say in France!

I'm not sure of my plans yet for next year. I'll be running Two Oceans in South Africa the week before, so I won't be running Paris, but if I'm back in Europe in time I'll pop over and join the support crew.
  • Hi Everyone - yes i'm signed up for 2018 as my First Marathon too ! I must be mad !! Looking forward to some tips and advice from you guys nearer the time as the rest of you start your training. Have my First HM in November so hoping that'll spur me on.
    Bib no 46945
  • Maxnmuffin - Welcome to the thread.

Building up to your half will give you a good base for your Paris training. 
  • Hi everyone, 

I'm new to the forum but have been a long time lurker since I started running back at the beginning of the year.

I have just today signed up for Paris, my first ever marathon! Like Steph who commented earlier I also completed my first half this month (GNR) and absolutely loved it. I hope this isn't a mad idea. I heard great things about Paris and London was just a no go in terms of getting a place. I'm quite excited but aware I have a big 7 months of training ahead of me. 

Given I ran the half in 2 hrs 13 (which I know is rather slow for a lot on here but I was actually quite chuffed with it being my first), I imagine under 4 hrs 30 will be a big ask. But I'm up for the challenge. 

I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew with this! I'd let to do better than 'just get around', as I suppose 6 hrs counts as finishing, but I know that's got to be the priority given I'm still relativity new to all this.

I'm looking forward to chatting with everyone on here on the lead up to the day! :)
  • HB_runs - Welcome to the thread.

Well done on competing the GNR. That a good time for your first half. Don't worry plenty of time until Paris. If you put in the training then the times will talk care of themselves.

For your first marathon I wouldn't stress over time anyway. Paris is a great race. Go out and enjoy it and take in the sights and sounds.
  • Jimbob I didn't get in to NY, it's TBO2 you are thinking of, I think. 
  • I can attest to this event being amazing - I've done it twice - and this is THE place to be regarding all things Paris marathon, allez allez!

What's more amazing is this forum and the wealth of experience and support from everyone here; get involved, be proactive and your marathon will be all the better for it!

I've got a couple of irons in the fire, one in particular, but am defo pencilling this one in for 2018! Have spun out of orbit the last 18 months due to little sprogs but beginning to see the light again and get into marathon training once more.
  • Hi all, hope the training is going well? I did my first half marathon yesterday, my local one in Worcester. A nice course, mostly flat with a few hills between miles 7 - 10. I finished in 2 hrs 14 mins and 49 seconds and actually really pleased with that. I've definitely got capacity to up training by another run each week, so really going to work hard and aim for 4 hrs 30 in Paris!!
  • orapidrun - Great to hear you're back on the marathon trail.

StephA - Well done on your half! Keep putting the training in and I'm sure you'll do well in Paris.
  • Well done on the half StephA, a great debut to build from.

A couple of longer races for me in the next few months but really looking forward to knuckling down early Dec to a plan.
  • Fresh back from Loch Ness Marathon- if I ever see a hill again it'll be too soon!! Looking forward to a decidedly flat Paris! Oh and my bib: Violet - 30474 :smile:
  • danielofsmith - Well done at Loch Ness!