43443 - Tired Legs
    44777 - EHN
    45840 -  Fleet Girl
    46945 - Maxnmuffin
    68716 -  danthevan
    Gris / Grey
    Rose / Pink
    69194 - StephA
  • Well done all on the recent races. Welcome to the newbies, you've picked a great race. I'm still 'umming and 'arring about Paris. I'm definitely in London already. Not looking to sign up for any more races until I have done Chicago (Sunday week) ... then i'll have a think. Currently tapering at the moment and it couldn't have come quick enough as my legs feel pretty horrible. (that's' how they should feel after a block of marathon training!) 

It's that time of the year when people are getting into Boston ... or getting rejected by Boston as they missed the cut-off despite running a qualifying time. Everyone I know who went in for Tokyo Ballot has been rejected this week as well, and the London Ballot results are nearly with us. I've tonnes of running friends in the hat for that so good luck all x x
    (lets face it the London ballot is just annoying .... fill in an online form and then wait 6 months for a magazine to drop through your door). 

• Thanks for the welcome guys and Good luck The Jimbob for Chicago. Looking forward to reading all about it !
  • I wish I was running Paris. Great place for a marathon.

• StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    I've been doing some googling about the medical certificate required for Paris, and peoples experiences seem to vary drastically. I've seen people forging them, people paying over £100 for them, GP's doing it for free - I'm interested in how everyone else is going about sorting theirs?
    I have to pay £30 for my GP to do an assessment and fill in my certificate which doesn't seem too bad compared to what some people appear to have paid.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    StephA - The medical certificate has caused some people issues every single year. It's a legal requirement in France, but something that spooks many British GPs.

For example in the five time I've ran Paris I've not once been examined by my GP. Only once did they charge me for signing and stamping the form, was around £20, every other time they've done it for free.

Others have been told they need full examinations costing hundreds by their GP before they'll sign. It's true that there have been people on here who forged it because their GP point blank refused to sign the form.
  • Anybody know whats happened to the breakfast run no mention of it for next year I've entered again unfinished business after last years DNF  :( Bib 59490 Green
  • Don't worry RoddyMac, my first Paris was a DNF, second Paris I cracked the 4hr barrier, i was over the moon and will always remember that one! It's on a youtube vid somewhere, courtesy of Orbutt.

Ok, cards on table. I didn't get a place for London, again, but might have a very good chance of the club place which is decided at the xmas party on Dec 16th. Can anyone remember when Paris fills up by? Basically it's either one or t'other, not doing both again.

Med certs are hit and miss, find a sympathetic (runner) GP!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    orapidrun - I think the 40th anniversary year (2016) was the only year it sold out quickly. I'm certain last year entries were open right through November/December. Possibly as they keep increasing the number of entrants for the race. It's a risk to hold out though, along with the price increases.

RoddyMac - That is unusual about the Breakfast Run. There's no mention of it on the website that I could see. Although I see there are a few things with "coming soon" listed, so maybe they'll add it back in as an option closer to the race. It would be a shame if they dropped it. I always enjoyed the Breakfast Run.

• Cheers Eggy
    Breakfast run is brilliant, defo recommend it - if it's on
  • PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    orapidrun - i am also in the same position as you re the club ballot but i believe there are less places for clubs this year than before. 
  • Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the lovely welcoming comments a couple of weeks back. I got some what side tracked after spending the last two weeks in the sun eating and drinking far too much. Paying for it now though, first run back was not at all fun. 

The medical certificate sounds a little bit of a pain, but needs must. Hopefully we all get good GPs who don't make life difficult.

Can I ask how everyone is planning to travel there? In people's previous experiences, do flights tend to be very expensive that weekend due to the race or are there not enough UK runners to have too much of an affect? Always the Eurostar too.

I've noticed a couple of people mention a DNF at Paris. That is a big worry for me. I always wonder if I do my training as best I can and listen to all the advice given, whether I might still get cramp or something unavoidable that stops me completing. Sorry to hear for those that it happened to. I'm sure it was disappointing but even more motivation to try again I bet! 

Oh and if anyone is interested my race number is 72028! :smile:
  • I'd like to join the thread. I signed up for Paris Marathon yesterday after not getting a place in London, though I was kind of hoping not to get a place, as Paris fits my schedule better anyway!

It'll be my 6th marathon (Istanbul, Frankfurt, Bonn, Rotterdam and Berlin) and I am starting in the preferential block. I concentrated on triathlon this year, but am going to really give it my all for a sub 2:45 finish in Paris.

Looking forward to it already!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Rae2 - Welcome to the thread. Sub 2:45, preferential pen is in the house!

HB_runs - Personally, coming from Glasgow I've never noticed the price of flights being impacted by the marathon weekend. I always booked up EasyJet flights early and price wise it was always decent. Most of the London and southern based runners tend to take the Eurostar over. Once again I believe the ticket prices are as normal.
  • Thanks Eggy, that's good to know. I live in Newcastle now so will try and get a flight from near there all being well. 

Welcome Rae2, you're clearly a seasoned professional. Sub 3 hr marathon running really is something. Kudos!
  • Hello All. New to this. Having just heard I didn't get a place on London I decided, in a fit of pique, to go for this one. I think Im on it and not in some ballot. Seems to have a number (72805) and an objectif (Rose). Im a slow runner, have done 2 halfs in my hometown of Chippenham (best time 2.03) and last year got on to London for charity (4.54). Going for it this year, really want to get the 4.30. You experts on this tell me, if I go longer than 4.30 does that not count?
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    gk_nash - Welcome to the thread!

If you get yourself to the end they all count, doesn't matter what the time is. Your half time certainly suggests you could run your target time. Put the training in over the winter and hopefully you'll nail it.

One thing with time goals is to be realistic to how your training is going. Revise up or down based on your training times. It's easy to pick a time out of thin air before you've started training, which is based on hope more than anything. It's also worth factoring that conditions on the day can have a huge impact on your performance. Most people will have turned up at some race in great condition but the weather on the day has beaten them, in particular us northern Europeans tend to struggle to deal with hot weather.
  • Thanks Eggyh. Im sure like last time with my stupid job Ill be far too busy until the new year, barely be able to get out running and then panic. Really looking forward to it and desperately need a focus to get my mind on it!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    If you know you'll struggle to get out in December I'd look for a training plan that allows you to start in the new year. I'm sure if you put your mind to it you'll have a great run in Paris.
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    Welcome Rae2 and gk-nash - I'm new around here too and prepping for my first ever marathon in beautiful Paris!!!
    Rae2 - I'm in awe of your aim to go sub 2.45, I hope your training goes well!
    gk_nash, I'm happy to have someone else in the Rose starting zone, I'm also targeting 4.30ish but trying not to think about time too much - I'm just planning on enjoying running in Paris and taking in all the sights!!
    I'm back to proper training this week after a couple of slack weeks following my half marathon, I've joined a running club to keep me motivated and they have a schedule of Sunday long runs starting early Dec targeting Paris which I know will be a great help!

I do have one small concern - I have a week long ski holiday 8 weeks before Paris, the likelihood is that there will be LOTS of snow, impacting my ability to get a long run in. There's a gym in our hotel so do you think a couple of medium treadmill runs (I can't possibly do more than 2 hours on a treadmill without wanting to kill myself...), with a long run on my return to the UK (complete with jetlag...) will be sufficient?
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry about taking a week off. There have been a few people take a ski trip during training in previous years and they all managed just fine.

It's unusual for anyone to get through a 16/18 week marathon training schedule without losing some time to an illness or injury anyway. The skiing will help keep your fitness up I'd imagine. If you're worried about it, start your training a week earlier than intended and just treat that as a down week.

We all think that we'll lose all fitness in a week, which is silly. Most likely the first few runs back feel a bit rougher than usual, but you quickly end up back where you were.
  • GK Nash - maybe enter a half Dec or Jan to keep the motivation/focus over xmas/New Year ?

Good advice from Eggy as usual.

For info, Eurostar appear to be taking bookings now for race weekend.  HB - the race falls in the uk Easter hols so I imagine prices are more influenced by that than the the race itself.  Last year I noticed Eurostar prices creep up over the months nearer the race but not ridiculously so.
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    Maccathe knacca, thanks for letting us know about the Eurostar - I've booked, now just keeping an eye on hotels!
  • PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    i booked my eurostar too :-) I have entered Wokingham half in Feb which is a great half to do during marathon training.  Nice and flat.  Not like Marlow half which i appear to be doing in Nov which is just hills.  Yuck!
  • > @gk_nash said:
    > Thanks Eggyh. Im sure like last time with my stupid job Ill be far too busy until the new year, barely be able to get out running and then panic. Really looking forward to it and desperately need a focus to get my mind on it!

I prefer a shorter marathon build up anyway. I am planning on doing 13-14 week build up for Paris, running when I am home for Christmas is ok, but long runs/intervals/tempos are all a bit harder to organise.

Missing 1 long run won't hurt you, it might even freshen you up 8 weeks out, so you are ready to attack the last 5-6 weeks of hard work before the taper :)
  • Thanks for the welcome guys and Good luck The Jimbob for Chicago. Looking forward to reading all about it !

cheers .... there's a loose review of it here if anyone wants a quick read: https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/340818/chicago-marathon-2017#latest
  • Congratulations on the big 6 Jimbob and a great photo.  Something I'd like to do one day, so many races...so little time.
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    Congrats Jimbob, what an achievement!!
  • Excited to have just signed up to this: Am bib 34705, Violet

This is my second marathon after running London last year in 4hr 28. My objective is to focus more on my time (last year I was primarily focussed just on completion) and I would like to finish it in less than 4hrs. I recently completed a half marathon in 1hr 54 which is my HM PB so appreciate that i still have a long way to go to achieve what I want, but it feels possible. I worry slightly that I shouldn't be in the Violet pen, for which the objective is 3hr 45 - as I don't want to be one of those people who gets in the way of others at the start.

It's great that this forum exists and look forward to reading about and sharing experiences.

And a quick question too - I would like to do a half marathon in Jan-Feb as part of my training. I'm based in Glasgow and there doesn't seem to be much around here at that time. Does anyone have any recommendations for a scottish-based race around that period? I was considering the Brass Monkey in York but it's a very long drive so would rather avoid that.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    thisisben - Welcome to the thread!

I'm also Glasgow based. To be honest the races up here at that time of year are very few and far between. The odd 5km or 10km is on, but little beyond that. I think organisers fear having to cancel due to the weather. I know that was a factor in the Balloch to Clydebank half being pushed back to April the last couple of years. That one, Alloa and Loch Katrine tend to run in March or April, but for anything earlier you'll probably need to venture south.

The purple pen is 3:45 to 4:00 hours estimated time. If you feel you're going to be faster or slower depending on how your training has gone you can change pen at the expo.