Paris Marathon 2018

Comments

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Soupy2 - For Paris I never bothered with specific marathon running travel insurance, as you can just sign up for an EHIC card (or at least you can until we leave the EU).

• It’s worth making sure you have an EHIC anyway, even if you have travel insurance. Your insurer may expect you to claim what you can in the way of medical expenses through the EHIC system before they pay out any extra.

There are plenty of insurance policies, both short and multi trip, that cover marathons, as long as you’re not racing for prize money, but check the small print as there are also some that specifically exclude it. 
  • Hi all, hope training is going well. I did farnborough half last weekend, it snowed throughout but I felt comfortable and strong which has helped my confidence for Paris. 

Couple of questions if anyone doesn’t mind.  First I’ve got a half booked in for the 18th March, will it be a problem doing my final 20 four weeks before the marathon, thus effectively having a 4 week taper, or should I do 7 extra miles the day if the half? 

Second medical cert, my doc charges £50 and since we’re both running that’s £100 I don’t want to spend.  I was all up for a bit of forgery so tried to order a stamp from eBay but they refunded me as they will only post doctor stamp to the address on the stamp. Anyone know any dodgy stamp makers?! 

Thanks!
  • I'll offer my opinion on the running part of your question!

I wouldn't do a 4 week taper. If T-4 is a 20 miler, T-3 13.1miles, T-2 maybe 17 miles and T-1 14 miles, then that seems very reasonable to me.

The long run isn't as important as most people think and it isn't easy to recover from, just keep running your normal runs and workouts until 2 weeks out and you'll be fine without the 20 miler (imo)
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Fleet girl - I have a template on with a Doctors stamp if you want it. Worked no problem last year and year before. 

I think 4 weeks is far to long for a taper. 2 weeks is plenty for me, but everyone is different. 
  • A quick catch up - good luck with Two Oceans Eggy, sounds like a fantastic race.

Rae - interesting blog.  

Having paid £20 for a doc cert. last year I was a bit underwhelmed with the level of scrutiny it underwent, think “volunteers ticking a tick box”.  It was much more difficult getting the breakfast run t-shirt.  Shame if that’s not on as it was a real Euro-disco experience:)

FG - my plan also says 20m on the 18th March.  I like the psychological boost of ticking off all the long runs and I’m quite used to high ish mileage so would have no qualms about doing the 20 a week later on 25th March instead of my planned 17m.  If you are not racing the half another option would be 3-4miles before and a couple after.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I think a four week taper for an experienced marathon runner isn’t an issue. I had a seven week taper (due to going backpacking around Thailand for a few weeks were I didn’t run at all) when I ran Portsmouth a couple of years ago. I coasted that one in a good time for me. I had several marathons under my belt by then though.

For a first time marathoner I’d be tempted to add the seven miles onto the half and just treat that as a training run. There’s been a few forumites who’ve done likewise over the years.

As for how long to taper I think that’s a personal thing. I’ve always ran badly off two week tapers. I now stick to three week tapers as they work well for me. Personally I wouldn’t consider going over ten miles for that last ling run the weekend before Paris. Taper is about recovery, not endurance.

Medical certificate wise. There’s certainly been people who forged it as their doctors refused to sign. All you need is one of the stamps that you can adjust the lettering yourself. Pretty sure people got them from the likes of Amazon for a tenner.
  • Hi all

First time on this thread. All booked to run Paris for the first time and I think my 9th marathon.

As for taper it does really depend. I go for three weeks. I agree with the comments that a four week taper, as most online and magazine schedules recommend, is a bit long. I would do just over 20 miles at T-4 (just 20.5 is good to break that psychological 20 mile number), then the h/m with a good 2 mile w/up and w/down. I also support the view that it is about 3/4 months of training, one weekend will make very little difference physically.

I was only reading this thread that realised I need to get a medical certificate. I have a two-yearly BUPA check booked, so hoping they might sign it.

Anyone got any tips on accommodation? I am travelling on my own and plan on going by Eurostar on Friday night.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Welcomed to the thread Dodds.

For accommodation anywhere surrounding the Arc would be near the start/finish. Anywhere that is on the Metro lines 1 or 2 would give you very easy access to the race. 

I’ve always stayed in Montmartre at the Ibis, which is a short Metro ride from the start/finish area. It’s a lot cheaper than the area surrounding the Arc if budget is a factor.
  • @Fleet Girl I'm guessing your going to 'race' your half 4 weeks before? If it was me as I would be racing it an extra 3 or 4 miles would be plenty or even 2 shorter long runs that weekend back to back?

Everyone's different and you just need to fine what suits you. Can you adjust you training plan and hit 20miles the week before?
  • Thanks for the advice all.  I wasn't particularly planning on racing the half so could just treat as a training run and bump up the mileage before/after, I think I'll do that.  It scares me a bit having the last long run 4 weeks before.  I will keep the rest of my mileage at a reasonable level over those weeks anyway. 

I've only done 1 marathon before and I did my last 20 at T-3 then 12 then 8 over the 2 weekends in the middle.  Seemed to work well, I felt fresh on the day.

Kenno - yes please to the stamp template :-)  I saw the ones you adjust the letter yourself but they looked a bit amateurish so I wasn't sure.  It would be pretty awful to be turned away on the day before the run!

• Actually soupy that’s not a bad idea re 2 shorter long runs back to back that weekend. I could hit 20 the week before and then the weekend of the half do a 10 on sat and the half on Sunday. 

May sound more complicated than just doing 6-7 extra before the half but somehow seems more preferable. I have to be honest I’m not loving the long runs that much!
  • Hi Everyone, just found this thread and also signed up for Paris. It’s my second marathon and can’t wait. I’m hoping for a sub 3:45 ??
  • KellyR - Welcome to the thread!

Good luck with your sub 3:45 attempt. Paris has always been good to me for times, PB'd there twice in the five times I ran it (2012 & 2015). The other three times I ran better than expected given my training at that point.
  • EHNEHN ✭✭✭

If anyone is a little worried (like myself) about arriving into Paris to collect your bib prior to the 1900hrs EXPO close/cut off on the Saturday  then please see below.

On 1 February 2018 at 13:52, parismarathon <parismarathon@aso.fr> wrote:

If you cannot personally collect your bib in the Salon du Running (Porte de Versailles - 75015 Paris) on April 5th, April 6th and on April 7th 2018; a third person can get your bib for you. To do this, that person must bring the following documents:

- Copy of your ID or Passport

- Copy of your medical certificate

- Copy of your convocation (online on your ASO Challenges Account)

Best regards,

Roméo - Service clients

www.schneiderelectricparismarathon.com

• Hi everyone. Welcome to the thread Kelly. Fingers crossed for your sub 3.45. 

I was wondering what the weather is usually like. I’m sure I saw last year it was around 25 degrees which worries me a bit, is it usually that warm or was that a bit of a one off does anyone know. 

I invested in a camelbak this week and took it on a 15 mile maiden voyage. I was surprised how I didn’t really notice it was there so definitely going to wear it on the day. I need to get used to taking on more water especially if it’s going to be warm. 

• Last year was a warm one. Warmer than most years. It was warm from the start last year, which isn’t normally the case.

It’s been hot more often than not in the years I’ve ran it. Although it normally starts off cool before heating up. The first time I ran in 2012 is was a cool day, good conditions to run.

The plus point I’d say, as someone who doesn’t like running in the heat, is that the course in Paris does offer plenty of opportunity to find shade to run in. Stick to the left hand side of the road at the start and you get shade from the buildings along Rue de Rivoli. 
  • Hi Kelly good luck with the 3:45.

FG - I have always worried about heat and fluid intake. I have recently followed the mantra of fuel to plan and drink to thirst, which has worked a bit better for me. As you are doing, train with the same kit and plan as race day.
  • I wasn't there, but I found that it was up to 21 degrees and sunny last year, I hope it is a bit cooler this year.

The historical average is 15-16 degrees.

I'm more of the Jaques Anquetil school of thought, I try to drink as little as possible, especially in the 2nd half. Driest is fastest!
  • Hiya, Just found this great thread. All signed up and ready to go for my first marathon. More than a little apprehensive, but my training is going okay so should make it round.
    Not sure of my bib number or pen - will check somehow (?) and repost.
    Thanks for all the great info!!
  • Found it! 69305 - Green Pen.
  • Generally, the temperature on race day is warmer than you’ve been training in, if you’re from the U.K., just because it’s spring and you’ve been training in winter. I’m pretty sure it got warmer than 21 degrees out on the course last year, especially towards the end. But it can be chilly at the start, I remember shivering in the pens in, I think, 2013. I wouldn’t start worrying about the weather yet though, April in Paris could be anything from snow to heatwave.
  • Running RodentRunning Rodent ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    That’s not very helpful, is it?  :)
  • Thanks for the welcome and good luck everyone, sure we are going to smash it! I’m going with positive thoughts and if it starts to go wrong time wise, just love the fact I’m running around a beautiful city and part of an amazing event. Does anyone have any tips on fuelling, I really need to start practicing. I pretty much just go off water at the minute and in my first marathon last year I couldn’t stomach gels so just jelly babies towards the end which we’re an amazing ‘hit’. I spent the week prior slightly increasing carbs and making sure water intake was good and it seemed to get me through as only last 3 miles where I really wanted to finish. You read so much on fuelling though, I think I should be doing more?
  • Fuelling while running is very personal. What works for one person won’t for another.

If you struggle with gels then jelly beans and jelly babies are popular options, as are shotbloks.

I’ve been experimenting with eating solid foods on the move for the race I’m doing. The cashew and fig bar from Aldi worked well on last weekends run. Nicer than gels too.
  • I’ve been liking the shotbloks, find them easier to stomach than gels. 

Thanks for weather info, as you say no point in worrying. Just hoping not tooo hot.  We kick off pretty early I think so at least might be cooler to start with. 
  • I'm currently on my way to Paris to visit my friend for the week. Going to recce the last half of the course tomorrow, very excited :) if anyone wants me to check out anything specific just post and I'll do my best to take a look for you.
  • Carol4Carol4 ✭✭✭
    Hi Eggyh73. Re your comment on eating solid food. Here in Australia we can buy single serve baby food in a pouch. They are larger than gels but you can get sweet or savoury and they have the number of carbs on packets as well. I find they work well for longer adventures as they dont spoil and are easy to carry and easy to eat and digest. Enjoy
  • Carol4 - Thanks for the tip. Although I'm thinking forty-something single male found loitering around the baby food section of the supermarket claiming he was looking for food for an ultra marathon isn't going to stand up in court!
  • Been following with interest and seems like everyone's training is going well.
    With less than 9 weeks to go - finally found my bib number 21236 / Bleu - Hoping to break 3:45 & see some friendly faces on marathon weekend!