Awful Cramping 4 weeks before Marathon Day - Help Needed

Hi all

I have been training following the Virgin Marathon intermediate training plan for a Marathon in September. All has been going well, in the meantime I have set new 5k, 10k and half marathon PBs. Last week I did 30k in 2h33m which I was happy with as I was in sunny Spain.

This Saturday I decided to do my local parkrun followed by a half marathon as my long run training. I did not push too hard in the park run, I finished it well over a minute and a half of my 5k PB (sure, not exactly marathon pace) and the half marathon, again, not pushing myself too hard, or no harder than I do in my long runs at just under 5m/Km or 8m/mile. Problem is, in the 18th K my calf cramped, followed by my adductors and hamstrings. My legs feel really sore today and I was cramping a good few hours after I limped over the finishing line.

I am at odds to understand how is it that last week I could do 30k no problem and this week all seems to have gone to pot. I even had a better breakfast this week, was hydrated (no classic post race headache) and did not do anything new or weird.

I have done the reading on the reasons for cramping, muscle fatigue and lack of salt. I am not sure it is due to the first reason, and maybe I could buy the second option. However, a couple of weeks ago I took my camelbak with SiS tablets to avoid the lack of salt, but that made my mouth too dry and pasty and made me even thirstier, so I do not feel that tablets are the solution for me.

After months of training I feel very doubtful that I will be able to finish without cramping and I would positively hate to walk/limp as my goal is to finish this in one piece.

Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you so much.

Comments

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    Firstly, dont panic.  This has only happened once so it may not happen again.
    I think there are plenty of sports drinks that have electrolytes but they dont leave your mouth feeling dry and horrid.  When i run a marathon or do any endurance event, i do, however, always carry 2 salt tablets wrapped in foil in my bumbag.  I have never used them, but i like carrying them.
    I used to think that cramp was just about salt but then i found out it can be many things.  You might have just been tired from training, or it might have just been one of those days.
  • A while ago I had cramp problems (cycling) I read that lack of potassium (or magnesium) can cause. Read tip somewhere and tried adding a teaspoon of LoSalt into drinks and that seemed to do the trick. Think that adds potassium. Not all hydration drinks cover the minerals so rather than LoSalt maybe check the drinks for minerals.