Running and menopause - experiences?

Hiya,

Haven't visited the RW forums for a while but I'm back here as I'd be really interested to hear other women's experience of running whilst going through menopause. There seems to be very little online, apart from advice to keep running or start exercising as it alleviates symptoms. I'm more concerned to know if other people have found their running has been affected?

i'm not particularly fast but I've been running regularly and consistently for 7 years or so. I've run quite a few halves and 3 sub-4 marathons and running's become an important part of my life.

I'm 52 now and am officially post-menopause (periods have stopped). I have symptoms of night sweats and aching joints, though not too severe or life impacting.

However in the last year or so I've got noticeably slower and have stopped enjoying running so much. I still run the same kind of mileage but often the first mile or two feel really hard. I can only think it's due to the menopause (or just getting older?); I had blood tests a while ago and don't have thyroid problems, diabetes or anything and I've always been pretty healthy.

Just wondered if other people have had similar (or different?) experiences? Also, is it likely to improve once my hormones settle down or is this it now?? I know a lot of women runners but most are younger than me or if older, started running after the menopause so haven't really got anyone to share experiences with.

:)

Comments

• What you've said about the speed loss rings a bell. I'm 50 and in perimenopause. Still get periods but they can go on for ages and are often very close together. :angry: Just started taking iron in case that's affected things. Don't get hot flushes or sweats unless it's actually hot, which it has been a few times this summer. However, I do get pretty warm at night just before dawn and am then unable to go back to sleep, so I'm averaging 5-6 hours sleep a night.
    Although I've run since I was 16, on and off, I've only been racing since my 40s and been serious about that since 2015. I'm not a fast runner but I've made steady improvements, going from a 2:12:47 half in March '15 to a 1:57.01 half in February this year. 10K time also came down from just under an hour to 53:35.
    I've only done the three marathons (first in 2016, then two this year) and have a best time of just under four and a half hours. My legs are still learning to cope with the distance so, in theory, I should be able to get good bit faster.
    However, since my last half in May, my times have plummeted. I've been dealing with high hamstring tendinopathy (I can run with it and it's at the stage now where it's just a niggle, really) and the hot weather in July slowed me down a bit, but my parkruns are around a minute down from last year, my last 10K was two minutes slower than the one I did in January and a 10 mile race I did this summer was five minutes slower than the same race last year (although it was warmer and a lot more humid) and 7 minutes slower than my PB.
    The 10K I did a couple of weeks ago was a little warm but not bad, but I couldn't even run it at the HM pace I managed in February. I have four HMs coming up in the Autumn and I'm not sure I'm even able to go sub-2 at this point.
    I had a look at my stats on Garmin Connect to see what my training was like this time last year and it's noticeable that my easy pace is a bit slower and, like you, the first two miles are very slow. I call them slug miles. Last year, 11 minute miles were rare and only used to happen if I was very tired, or if I was doing a run that included big hills. Now, the first mile of almost every run is over 11 (often around 11:15 or so) and the second just under. It often takes me until mile 5 to get going.
    I'm really not sure if this is a case of newbie gains plateauing, the weather, the side effects of my injury or plummeting hormones but I'm glad you've brought this up as I've been racking my brains as to why I've suddenly got slower. Hopefully it'll pass. I'm really not ready to slow down after only two and a half years of proper racing!

• Wow, sounds very similar to me! Thanks for replying - makes me feel better to know it's not just me...

My parkrun times are a minute or more like two minutes slower even when I run as hard as I can.

Like you, the heat this summer has really counted against me. I ran Southend half in June (it was very hot!!) and it took me just over 2 hours - my PB from less than 2 years ago is 1:47:30. I'm hoping the hot weather is particularly negative due to my body not being able to regulate temperatures so well now?!

i'm doing 3 or possibly 4 HMs this Autumn as well - it will be interesting to compare notes.

i've had injuries in the last 3 or 4 years - specifically achilles tendinopathy which recurs if I don't manage it carefully. I have a theory that tendon issues can also be related to hormones; my GP dismissed this but there seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence online.

Thanks again for the reply
  • You may be right about the tendons, although to be honest I've had tendon issues for much of my adult life. I was big into weights for a long time and always had bad shoulders (I used to do a lot of heavy benching and then go home and play computer games. Not a good combo). I've also had problems with both my achilles tendons. It may be a general female thing since we're not as good as synthesising collagen as men, but this gets worse with lower oestrogen levels so our age group is more prone to it.
    Good luck with your HMs.
    I mainly post in the Shades marathon thread in the training forum - some veteran ladies are regular posters there and it's one of the most active threads in the RW forums. You might get some good feedback there too.
  • Thanks very much Cal - good luck with your HMs as well!
  • I've just got back to running after a 10 year break and I'm now 49. Menopause seems to of really affected my running with general aches and pains being constant and everything is such an effort .... a huge one. I hit 4K sometimes and could just quite easily give up! I dread warm days the most as they seem to zap my energy ten fold!it feels like the beginning of the end and after being majoritively fit and active most of my life it's put quite a downer on things. Runners knee has now really started to affect things too. Don't like this getting old thing!
  • I know what you mean about running being such an effort Dizmoo! And the aches, pains and injuries. I'm hoping if we persevere it will improve.... At least it's gonna get colder so it will be interesting to see if that makes it better?
    Don't give up though! Even if you're slower it's still great that you're keeping active and you may well feel worse if you stop exercising?!?
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    I am 47 but have been perimenopausal for a good few years now, thanks to inheriting my Mum's tendency to early menopause, and am taking HRT.  I have waxed and waned in my running training and commitment over the years so it's hard to make direct comparisons. However - the taking AGES to warm up into a run is REALLY significant for me this time round. I'm finding that in general too...it takes forever for my body to "come to" in the mornings now, so much so that I now get up a whole hour earlier so I can just watch mindless Netflix tv before forcing it to do anything! 
  • It usually takes me around an hour and a half between waking and hauling my lazy arse out for a run. I've always been a morning person but my brain wakes up well before my body does. Still, it gives me time for a coffee and a poop.
    Does the HRT make any difference, Fiona?
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Hi there Can. It does to the more generic menopause symptoms but couldn't tell you about the slow to warm up thing. Obviously not since it's still happening!
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Cal. Spellcheck!!