Running after a week off

Hi there,

Been running some time now and yesterday I returned from a week's holiday.

I did try to incorportate some basic running into the holiday but there wasn't many places to do any decent distances so I only probably ended up doing 1KM in total. The proper run I did before it was the morning I went, I did around 3K-4K.

That Tuesday I did a 4.3 mile run in around 35 minuets. Today I went for a run this morning, but stopped after almost 1KM because it was too windy. Then I did a route that was less windy but couldn't go further than 1.5K.

Has the week off effected me or not? Before I had done a 5K, I had a two week holiday and I had a PR for my 2 mile run. I'm not sure if I had enough sleep - I went to bed at half nine and woke up at half seven, and then did my run.

Should I try again later to do something like a 3K? Originally I intended to do a 5K but maybe that was a bit ambitous for my first run back.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
qwerty

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    No, a week off it won't have affected your running.  What's happened is you've got out of the habit and routine of doing your running.  A few days and you'll settle back into your training, so man up and get back out there. :)
  • Bloody spam!
    Shades is right. I often feel crap after Christmas when I've been sat on my arse for a few days (even this year, when I did a Christmas Eve parkrun and had a bit of a walk on Christmas Day).
    If you've had a largely sedentary holiday then it can make you feel sluggish. You shouldn't have lost fitness. I managed a half marathon PB a week after getting back from one of my holidays so I'm sure you'll be fine once you're back into the swing of things.
  • Your legs muscles should feel fresh having had time to repair from the rest, cardio fitness will have dropped off slightly. You may find the first mile or so super easy then find things slightly harder than usual, that's my usual experience.