Shivers and Nausea after long runs

Hi, I am a regular runner 4 times per week, 6 miles each run with a long run at the weekend. I have done a couple of marathons and many halfs etc. After my last couple of long runs, 18 miles and 16 miles,
I have felt cold and shivery, also I feel nauseous and have no appetite. This never used to happen, any ideas what the problem might be? Many thanks Rob.

Comments

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    I would guess that you are low on fuel. Are you eating and drinking enough before/during?
  • Agree with pg3. You need more fuel.
  • Thanks for this, I think this would make sense,busy day not enough fluids and probably not enough to eat. I will address this before my next long run..thank you.
  • Agree with the others here, I think its actually a mild form of Shock, which is the bodies reaction to a lack of fluids (usually bleeding!!), but in this case probably just not enough water intake against water loss during the run.

I used to have the same reaction after every long run, 20+, and was usually sick after a spell of uncontrollable shivering. Once ended up in the St Johns tent on a saline drip! Slowing down and more water stops have helped.
  • Hiya Rob, you sound equally matched/similar to my running, I'm four times a week (maybe five at times) with 6 or 7 milers.Then mid/back end of Summer of last year and this year I up the runs keeping the same frequency but introduce a long one ready for York marathon. Last few weeks been doing 18.5 milers then did a 22 miler this week. So it would seem we are similar. If it is fuel/nutrition, then I learnt the hard way of just going out on Weetabix, it just doesn't do it after 12-15 miles point.

So this is what I do, it may help. I don't do gels, they aren't my thing. I take a small freezer bag of sugared Haribo in my back pocket. Then I take cut sticks of flapjack in cling film either sellotaped to my waterbottle or in a phone arm pouch (no phone just flapjack).

I don't consume anything until I've passed 10 mile mark. If an 18 miler I'll have some flapjack at 10 miles, whether I feel like I want it or not (whlst running, small chunks at a time), if 22 then I tend to take them at 12 miles. Then I have regular small chunks every 3 miles after that.

It works a blinder, if I'm at 12/13 mile mark after about 20mins it makes me feel like I'm the 7 mile mark. I think it is more important (for me) to take it before I actually feel I need it.

Haribos are just for little spikes of energy, I think they work, probably more placebo.

We are all different though.

Hope it is useful.

Ben
  • I have the nausea after about 18 miles. Can't consume anything solid for 2 hours. Tried all sorts

I think it's caused by stress to the gastric system. The body directs blood away form it to the muscles where it's needed most
  • I think it's caused by stress to the gastric system. The body directs blood away form it to the muscles where it's needed most
    good point