Torn Meniscus - help!

Has anyone had any experience of recovering from a torn meniscus without an operation?

Happened when running 5 weeks ago, I have been seeing a really good sports injury physiotherapist who has given me a set of daily strengthening exercises and is confident I will be running again in a few weeks. It felt like it’s improving but I’m still getting occasional shooting pains mostly behind the knee when walking up and down stairs or sometimes when just walking. It comes on randomly and without any warning. Some days my knee feels really stable and then other days it feels like I’m miles away from running again.

I originally tore it in 2002 when playing 5-a-side and had keyhole surgery to have the torn bits removed. I started running in 2003 and up until now haven’t had any bother with it.

I’m 53 now and have read that surgery at this age carries a risk of arthritis and is not guaranteed to be any better then rehab.

Any advice from anyone who has experienced this would be gratefully appreciated. Do I just need to be more patient?

Frustrated of Pudsey

Comments

• Hi

I tore mine a few years ago and have avoided surgery. I’ve since ran countless miles in to the thousands however I’ve had the odd niggle but nothing serious.

Recently I’ve developed a bakers cyst and I’m currently awaiting a scan and call from the MSK team. In the mean time I’ve an ultra coming up in two weeks which I will run - I’ve maintained my miles circa 300+ a month leading up to the ultra but will reduce mileage post ultra.

In my initial period my knee was unstable and regular pain wasn’t uncommon. Evertiime the pain got worse I just rested and continued with non weight bearing excercise.

Find a good physio. Strengthen muscles surrounding your knee and be patient.
    Make sure you footwear is suitable & appropriate. I used to run in racers regularly but I’ve not turned to more cushioned runners.

My problem now is how long can I avoid surgery because the cyst is caused by the meniscal tear.

Good luck.
  • I have only just started running but I have had a meniscus tear for decades. I'm 47 now and I'm pretty sure the injury occurred when I was seven. In my twenties I went through a period where my knee would completely lock, sometimes while I slept, it was agonisingly painful until it unlocked again. The doctors told me that one day it would go pop and I would have to have surgery. So far it has not gone pop, it hasn't locked for 20 years either. I can't say it causes me great pain unless I sit in a silly position for a prolonged period, but the burning sensation never stops. It's not painful, it's just like having deep heat inside the knee at all times.

I am hoping that running will strengthen the muscles around the knee and make things better. Also, I am very overweight - morbidly obese- which is very hard on the knees. Carrying extra weight is far worse for the knees that running, in my admittedly limited experience.

I think that you have to trust the physio's knowledge of your injury - if s/he is confident that you will be back running soon then I'm sure you will be. I've been obese and unfit for 20 years and my knee hasn't given up on me yet. They are tough old things.
  • Give it time.  The majority of meniscus surgery is unnecessary.  If you do have surgery ensure the surgeon is competent in doing repairs.  Do not let them take the damaged tissue out. You need to hang on to as much cartilage as possible, for as long as possible.