Options

Training plan frustration

I'm a 41 year old, 64kg, male with a history of cycling over the past 4 years.  I've taken up running in the last 3 months.  I'm by no means quick by club standards but my pace isn't that of someone who has never exercised before either (20:51 for 5k; 43 min for 10k).

I currently do one tempo run a week (4:30/km) of 10km and a slower run (5:00/km) for a longer run of 12km to 14km.

I've entered the Reading Half and am trying to find a training plan. Most training plans online I've found seem to start you off either as a raw beginner (0 to 21km in 14 weeks) or assume you are a club runner/uber experienced and run 5 to 6 days a week.

I can't run much more than 3 times a week due to family commitments (and frankly my body feels it needs a couple of days rest after the tempo run).

Any advice on a plan built around 3 days a week would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    You don't need a plan - do what suits you and fits in with your life. Basically you need to build distance in preparation for your half so working backwards from the date of the race allowing two weeks to taper and freshen up pre race you need to build up to a long run of 14-16 miles before this time, one long run a week building the distance gradually with a cut back week every four, one tempo run and one general run.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Have a look in the shades Mara training thread. I appreciate you aren't planning a Mara, however the ethos of the group is those that run just a few days a week. 
  • Options
    2560 pages of Shades thread.  Wow! Will DM to get plan...
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Mushy Peas-When I was training for my first half I ran 2/3 times a week.
    I'd do one long run,building up as LMH says,tempo and another easy run,about 50/66% the distance of my long run.Make sure every few weeks you build in a cut back week so your body can recover.
    If your 10k is 43,then I guess your aiming for 1:35/40 for the half?
    If so I think your easy pace is too fast,maybe slow it to about 5:20/km
    I'm certainly no expert but that's what I'd suggest.
  • Options
    the 'Run Less Run Faster' plan is built around 3 quality runs a week - track repeats, the tempo run, and the long run, "which are designed to work together to improve endurance, lactate-threshold running pace, and leg speed"

is that the kind of approach you're interested in? are you still cycling?
  • Options
    Sounds perfect.  Stopped cycling currently as focussing on running and recovery from running as body strengthens