Run/tri in your recovery from alcohol or drug abuse?

I am wondering if anybody else feels that running or triathlon has played a role in their recovery from alcohol or drug abuse. I am curious given my own experiences in this regard and as I am now doing a study on the topic.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Comments

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Hi Juhan.  I don't have any personal experience but presume you have read about John McAvoy? There are many parallels between substance abuse/addiction and criminal behaviour being reformed through the power of sport. Similarly, those with mental health challenges can find sport to be a great tool to recovery.  I hope you find your participants as it sounds a great hypothesis.  If you shared a little more information on your study, you may find more people come forwards (perhaps via PM)?  Best of luck!
  • PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    Thanks MsE, i hadn't heard abotu John McAvoy but i just googled him and will buy the book.  V interesting. Shame he cant go to Kona.
    Another book that might be relevant to the original post is Dave Urwin - Everything will work out in the long run.
  • I am also curious what will other people say. Mainly because my friend is fighting since a few years with drugs addiction. The thing is that all his pills made him gain weight and in general he is often weak and exhausted.
    He is not fit at all and I can't really imagine him even running for the bus, not mentioning professional running.
    I know that involving into something you will put all your heart in this and will help not to think about it, and loose you ,,appetite'' towards addiction.
    Unfortunately my friend choose marijuana ( claims it helps him) while my aunt who is in medical place left alcohol but smokes now like a chimney... I know too many people destroyed by addiction.
    If someone is able to run or to do any activity- I wish you all the best. It's just what I know from my experience those people are exhausted and unable to any bigger effort.
  • Hey MsE:

thanks for the great input and pointing me in the direction of John M.; I hadn't heard of him before.

Much appreciated!