Flu Jab Day Before Marathon

Hiya, anyone experienced this? Is it ok or not advisable?

I get a flu jab every year at my doctors surgery. They are done as a mass vaccination on a specific day, which this year is the day before I'm running a marathon at the weekend. It is quite important for me to have the annual vaccination due to being born with a hole in the heart and basically the doctor says I should have it. I don't want to be a nuisance to get it at a different time, but I could request that if needs be.

I'm not really after a PB, just run it for enjoyment, if I get a PB then great, so I'm not bothered about side effects affecting that, but don't know whether it is a good idea in general.

I've been getting conflicting reports from people, so thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone else has experience.

Any advice based on experience?

Thanks

Ben

Comments

• I had flu jab less than 24 hours before my first half Marathon a week ago and ran great.

Any side effects prob gonna hit you in the few minutes while you wait in 'recovery' room after jab.

It's a non issue.  Confirm with your doctor to reassure yourself though.
  • Thanks Lanarkshire, I've just picked up your reply and have already run it (Yorkshire Marathon) and can agree the flu jab issue was fine. Getting five and three-quarter hours sleep and a few large bottles of Estralla the night before didn't help though. Still got a decent time though so worked out, also acquired two black toenails, a crimson red toe bloated like a lightbulb with a detached toenail.

Thanks for your response, did get a bit worried it might have adverse effect.

In summary: Flu Jab +Run = Just Dandy