Friday 6th October 2017 Raised on promises

Morning!

Lyrics: Raised on promises
She couldn't help thinkin' that there
Was a little more to life

Yesterday's were "End of the Line", Traveling Wilburys, including Tom Petty who has recently passed away. 

What: probably fitness suite

Why: 5.2 miles in 30 mins last night (at 80/85% bodyweight on a-g treadmill) followed by pushing the leg presses. Bumped into the physio before the session and the consultant after! Both re-inforced their view that the lep presses and weighted eccentric drops are crucial. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    morning all
    what - probably an easy run to Greenwich
    why - easing back ahead of (low key) Sunday XC league race
    last rest - 11/9
    last hard - Tuesday
    lyric - nope (again)
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

12km last night in the end with friend.  Am at the "12km feels hard how am I going to run 42" part of the taper :lol:

Today will mow lawns if it stays dry plus a cycle into town.  Maybe a short run if time (but probably not).

Have a lovely day all.
  • Morning.

I know that feeling well emzap, you’ll be fine on the day.

Hope it’s not too busy for your run Dustin.

Nice to have the reassurance Alehouse.

What:           I don’t have to tell you
    Why:            Ditto
    Last hard:    Remembering it’s less than two weeks since Robin Hood
    Last rest:     30/9

Lyrics -no.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Saddened at content of parkrun founder's email in response to RW article on cheating. I've read and re-read the article and can find little substance for the response. I have often been critical of some RW journalism in the past but this was a considered article and in no way slighted parkrun. The only query was round it's not a race and although it is "Just a run" the plethora of stats allows many to deem it as such even if just a race against self. In no way did the author attempt malign or humiliate the volunteers.
    From the article "Few organisations have done as much to popularise running in recent years as parkrun. Around 130,000 runners compete in 500-plus events across the country every weekend, and with its free entry, reliance on volunteers, and its family-friendly wholesomeness, it’s the embodiment of the amateur ethos. So has cheating become an issue?" Is parkrun about to implode because of perceived self importance? I hope not. As an avid parkrunner, core volunteer and PROVE champion I am sorely disappointed in the e-mail from PSH and commend the RW editor on his measured response. I think you guys are a safe group o share my thoughts with rather than the more toxic forums on various sites around including a number of pr specific. Cathartic download complete.
    Achilles niggly today so
    What: Wait and see
    Why: Precaution
    Last hard: Deciding not to run before end of work
    Last Rest: Might be in progress
    Lyrics: Oh yes. It's on, I think, all of my running playlists. :-)
  • Agree with you SC. I got the PSH e-mail before I'd read the RW piece but even then though, blimey, that sounds like a whole load of sour grapes...

Is your marathon this weekend, em? BTW, off on hols on Sunday into your old stomping ground. We're going to Bad Sooden in the Kasseler mountains. Hoping for some nice autumn weather for hiking and mountain biking.

7 people were killed in the first bad autumn storm yesterday. It hit us around 2pm and lasted maybe 20mins, but enough to fell a whole load of trees which in turn buried (and killed) people in their cars driving by. Scary!

What: an hour in the pool
    Why: too sore for more
    Last hard: yesterday's bad news
    Last rest: 5/8
    Lyrics: yes

• SC I saw the email  and thought it was a little over the top but had not read the RW article so got my RW mag out to read and to be honest i thought it was well written  and could not understand the fuss the PSH was making.I have not seen RW reply.....

What: 5 mile run
    Why: naughty knee said lets try a little further
    Last hard: see above
    Lyrics: Not sure a maybe

Knee still niggly for first 2 miles then eases off hates downhill but likes the uphills.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    good afternoon all
    WP hope that knee continues to behave
    chicksta, oh that sounds bad, where are you
    SC hope that achilles settles, I have not read any of the PR thing so am in the dark!
    emzap I am hoping it will be dry still on Sunday when I might have a spare minute to do my grass
    lyrics no, alehouse nice training

I'm doing Tring Ridgeway Run on Sunday, anyone done this one?  I have it's lovely
    what: 2 miles early doors
    why: ticking over, did a slow 5 last night
    last hard: this morning
    last rest: 31/12

Have a great weekend all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Chicksta...awful news. Stay safe. Pool probably a good place to be if you don't have to drive!
    WP...reply link on home page
    WaboLink in the reply to both PSH letter and original article.
    Emz...nothing beats a bit of taper craziness. When is the big day?
  • Chick: you must have been typing when I was sorry to hear about the terrible news stay safe and sound!!

I just read the reply on home page thanks

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Big day is 15th Oct so another week yet.

Chick wow that's some storm.  Stay safe.  Enjoy your trip to Hessen (hope you can understand them :P).  When I wanted to avoid the autobahn I used to drive though there on my way home.  We also went on a work trip to Barfusspfad which was fun, but guess it's too cold this time of year. :)

SC a bit in the dark about it all, saw the headline but didn't get a chance to look.

Two lawns mowed, a tree pruned, now resting!

• Afternoon!

LMH: had you in mind when I set the lyrics given where you are!

What: nice afternoon so did a small amount of run/walking. 1.4k actually run with each section being either 200 or 300 metres. All seemed fine...although it may well not feel fine on waking as I then went to the leg press machine, plus bike, stretches.

Why: mixing caution and advice

Off to read about parkrun!  

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    27 years of wedded bliss.... :-) off for an Indian tonight with the blessed lady in question :-)

Like others I saw the email first before reading the article (and a lot of toxicity too) I thought that it was up front and a good piece of work, I do believe that parkrun was probably the wrong target to do the piece and deed. And didn't really think it was necessary to draw attention to cheating and cheaters, so I am a little divided on it as can see it from both sides... (sitting on the fence)

easy day today for day 6 of running every day in October 2.26m in 17:30

Take care all
  • Sad news chicksta - nature is a very powerful force. Hope you have a nice holiday.

SC I agree, totally OTT - I didn’t see anything in the article to be defensive about.

Happy anniversary RFJ.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.