Dislocated Ankle - Recovery

Hi all,

So I dislocated my ankle and fractured my talus on Saturday whilst out racing in Canada...I have a picture if anyone is interested :)

It was popped in after anaesthetic and is now in a cast and am at the fracture clinic in the UK tomorrow.

Has anyone else had a similar injury and how long did it take for you to be back out running? Also any exercises you were able to do sooner

Will be going private for physio to avoid any delays and have used him previously so keen to do every bit of rehab possible to prevent it being any weaker moving forwards?

Regards
Steve

Comments

• Thanks for the response although I am in Sheffield so bit too far for me to travel
  • Steven, not quite the same, but I broke my ankle (fractured fibula, right at the joint) in June 2015. It seemed like forever, but actually I jogged a few steps about 13 weeks afterwards and started short runs about two weeks or so after that. I was able to swim before I could run. If you can get a proper, swim-rated waterproof cast protector you might be able to swim arms-only (legs supported using a pull buoy) initially - I did that after stress-fracturing my pelvis (secondary to the ankle).

N.B. Make sure you work at the physiotherapy until you fully regain ankle range of motion - my PT was stopped too soon, which is why I ended up with the stress fracture on the other side.
  • Hi Debra,

Thanks for the response!

That's encouraging, a week tomorrow I am back at the hospital where they may take the cast of and replace with a boot but have to wait and see. I am thinking of getting into a swimming pool as soon as i can as less stress than the pavement/trails

I am going to go private with PT (He's an ex ironman triathlete who focuses on sports physio) and let it take as long as it takes.
  • Hi Steven, I fractured my ankle and damaged my ligaments (running over cobblestones :-( ) in July. It took a while for the swelling and the bruising to go, but I was walking within about six weeks, just making sure it was on even ground. Stretching and exercising the ligaments (bands help some people) worked well for me. I am just back to doing 5km/10km and being more comfortable on rougher ground, so for me it was about four to five months. Easing into it was the best thing for me.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Derren
  • Wishing you a speedy recovery  :s