Hip Injury Correct Diagnosis?

Hi all, just looking for some second opinions here. I've started seeing a physio but I'm not convinced.

A couple of months ago I admit I may have over trained and I started getting a very achey hip after (not during) running. I had been running for 4 months pain free (while losing a lot of weight).
The pain was much worse after resting/sleeping then would die down while active. After a few days it would stop and I would go for a run, only for the problem to return again. The pain is lateral, right above the thigh bone and hurts when I poke in the gap there. It also hurts to bear weight on it, if I pop my hip out or try to raise my leg sideways.
I took 3 weeks rest but as soon as I went out, the pain was back afterwards! I tried just running through it and now it actually hurts while running too. So I've stopped running and I went to the GP. (I'm in the UK).
The GP had a quick look and thought it may be the ITB. He referred me physio to get more of an idea and some help.
So I've been to my first physio appointment. This doctor first checked my feet and noticed my arch was lower on the left - so that was it. He didn't examine my hip or feel for where the pain was coming from, he's just focused on strengthening my fallen arch which will in theory straighten me back up and solve my painful hip. He also stuck with the ITB pain explanation without even looking. I'm doing the exercises he gave me but I'm not happy.

I don't like to question, but I think I need a second opinion or I could end up out of action for months getting to the bottom of this. My fallen arch certainly is 'a' problem, but is it 'the' problem? How come I ran for 4 months pain free then all of a sudden my hip keeps flaring up? I'm sure the pain is right where the trochanteric bursa is, if I push downwards on that bone I jump off the floor. There is no pain in my knee at all.

I'm hoping that my hip pain is simply an overuse injury that will take longer than 3 weeks to heal fully. My fallen arch may have been an underlying cause of the injury and I am following physio exercises for it. Fingers crossed after Xmas I can hit the road again, it's extremely distressing and I want to get a second opinion from a different GP to make sure I'm not wasting time.

Or am I just being a plum? 😂

Comments

• Sounds a bit like my problem, Mrs Yurtle. Pretty sure mine is the TFL (small muscle at the top of the ITB). It has been surprisingly resistant to treatment although I've got to the stage where I can run short distances.
    The arch thing sounds fishy to me, though there's no harm in strengthening it. Thing with the TFL is it can become overloaded if the other muscles (glute complex, hip flexors etc) aren't working properly and it starts to compensate.
     You would be better of seeing a sports physio (NHS physios aren't sports focussed) but who can tell you if it's a TFL problem or bursitis, but of course you'd have to pay. However, pretty sure s/he would tell you to strengthen your hips and glutes as much as possible. I am doing glute bridges, monster band walks and clams among other things, as well as mashing it with a lacrosse ball.

• Mrs Yurtle and Cal Jones, yes TFL can be overloaded and give those symptoms. Rest and get sorted. I have seen an osteopath and sports massage person to get sorted out. Osteo was for sorting out lower back/pelvis issues. Muscle imbalance is my problem and I am now doing exercises to strengthen and others to stretch.