Snowdonia Marathon 2018

Comments

• T-Rex, looking at that pace guide I take the initial five miles too easy, but 6-13 too hard. I'm going to try your plan this year. But don't expect success as on the flat I'm struggling to go sub-9!!!

Miles 1-5 9:20
    Miles 6-13 8:20
    Miles 14-22 9:00
    Miles 23-24 13:00
    Miles 25-26.2 8:50
  • Mc Hilly said:
    I am doing Chicago marathon in a few weeks time, so I’ll see how that goes before guessing my SNOD time

Huge big luck for Chicago Marathon mchilly!! I have two friends going over for that one too. Enjoy!! 
  • Hello everyone sorry I haven't been on this page for months as T-Rex guessed it right lots of training and not too much time on the Internet. Life is busy lots of travelling for work so having to prioritise my time. I've had a really good 3 month build up to the Warsaw marathon which is in 6 days time (30 Sept) so feeling good for that and hoping for around 2:50-2.55. Plan is then to take all of my residual fitness and the best 10 month training block I have managed and be ready for SNOD and give it a good crack at sub3 so if you want to revise my time on the list T-Rex please do. I also turned 40 last month so I am enjoying the Kudos of running as a VET40. 
  • Looking forward to seeing lots of familiar faces next month. Great to hear BritNick is making a return. The whole gang will be back together  B)
  • T-Rex, never managed to get under 5hrs for SNOD so is this the year for 4:59?  I'll give it a try so please put me down for that.  Great to hear BritNick will be joining us.  I'm in for Lakeland 100 next year so all training will be towards that in the months to come.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hi UDS.  I was getting a bit concerned because I can't see you on the entry list.  Or are you running as someone else??

Brickhill Runner - you could try:

1-5   11:40
    6-13   10:25
    14-22  11:15
    23-24  16:25
    25-26.2  11:00

TOT   4:59:57
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    My biggest challenge is going to be getting to the 18-mile point within the 4-hour cut-off.  That's quite a bit faster than target pace, especially by that point in the proceedings.  But after that a speed hike will get me to the end!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

The Single
    • brer rabbit
    • Brickhill Runner  Sub-5:00
    • BritNick
    • Chimney   Sub-4:00
    • dave turner 5
    • Fenland_Runner_plus  Sub-4:00
    • Gringo WBA
    • Hobie  1495   Sub-4:00  4th SNOD
    • InsideForward
    • jasond2
    • John Bach   3:30-4:00
    • Mc Hilly
    • mr panad
    • Number108   24th SNOD
    • Pete Thomas 6    Sub-4:30
    • Reydon Rover
    • runwithmysetter
    • The Lazy Greyhound   Sub-4:00
    • TrailRunner22    Sub-2:50
    • Ultra Disco Stu  Sub-3:00

The Double

• ?

The Triple

• ??
    The Quad
    • ???  T Rex

• T Rex said:
    Hi UDS.  I was getting a bit concerned because I can't see you on the entry list.  Or are you running as someone else??
    Search under Ultra Disco Stu!!! T-Rex 🤣 I had no idea I was under that name. TBH whilst it's a fun name I probably should change it as I would like the result under my actual name especially for Power of 10. 
  • Brickhill Runner, I'm also having another crack at UTLD100 next year. I also seem to have entered another 100-miler as well, the D99
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    F_R_+ and Brickhill Runner - with these epic events on the horizon (D99 only 6 months away) can I suggest you do at least two of the initial laps with me, if not all three?  Good opportunity to get some training in!

I'm thinking of the Beacons 100 for 2019.   Winner took 31 hours this year so looks to be a tough one.  Several night-time river crossings.  22000' ascent.
  • Trex there is a huge difference running 50 miles on road and on trail. I'd never suggest this as a good idea if gradually building up mileage for a first 100 miler. I'd stick to trails which rae far lower impact for training. 
  • LOL :) T-Rex. One lap to savour and enjoy will be perfect for me. Especially five-six weeks before the Cheviot Goat :)
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
     Only joking.  You would never do a 50-mile training run, even in the build up to a 100-miler.  40 miles on multi-terrain should be about the limit.

A  good idea is to enter a few ultras in the build up in the range 35-55 miles to get the time on your feet and to check out your gear and nutrition strategies.

Having a little mini-break in the Malverns at the moment and today I ran the whole ridge from Chase End Hill in the south to End Hill in the north.  Paths up and down the first few southern hills were very hard to find and I spent a lot of time climbing up precipitous slopes through woods and undergrowth and getting very scratched.

The going was much better in the northern half and it got quite hot.  Very enjoyable.  The dog enjoyed it too.

In all about 9 miles and 18 hills but unfortunately missed one out (Hangman's Hill, 906')
  • TooTall, glad you have a buyer.

UDS, I hope you are able to change your name. You need an official record.

T Rex, a quad? Seriously?? You're even madder than I thought you were. :wink: Thanks for adding me to the list. Once again, SNOD will be the week after Round Rotherham 50. From past experiences that seems to stand me in good stead. I have no idea about time but all I hope for is not to get a PW. That means faster than 4:30.

Brickhill runner, thanks. It'll be good to be back after 2 years' absence. Thanks to UDS for the offer of accommodation!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    My accommodation over at Glan Gwna is going to be from Thur 25 Oct -Thur 1 Oct.  The only one I could find.  They are usually Sat to Sat which would have been no good but managed to get a dispensation.

Hope to meet up with as many folks as possible during the weekend, though.

BritNick - that's the plan.  34 miles of commuting yesterday, 51 next week, and finally 68 the week after (over two days) and after that start tapering.  What have you been up to?  How are the knees, etc?

• T Rex, thanks for the offer of a double but got Conniston- Buttermere recce 2 weeks after Snod so will decline your generous offer.
  • T Rex the knees aren't a problem now. I must have eased back just enough on the serial compulsive racing. Biggest problem this year has been right inner ear problem destroying my hearing and playing havoc with my balance (vertigo attacks). It caused me to have to cancel various races including Lakeland 100 and the CCC. Fortunately the vertigo has eased off now. My next race will be CMP Trail Long in Bassano del Grappa, NE Italy next Sunday. It's 'only' 43km but has over 2.1km of climb.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    BritNick - That's a lot of climbing in a marathon.   I hope no lasting damage from the inner ear problem.  Was it labyrinthitis? 

That time when you ran a separate fell race whilst in the middle of an ultra is still the maddest thing I've ever heard.

I've still got one or two mad things lined up to do before I hang up my running shoes, knees permitting.

Does anyone know if Chimney is around?

Mc Hilly - how are you?
  • TrailRunner22TrailRunner22 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Sounds like the madness hasn't stopped on here... 50 mile training runs!!...  :D:cold_sweat:. I Can't imagine ever running that far.

Hope everyone that was after a place managed to get one in the end! Only 13miles for me this weekend in the Cardiff half! Hopefully get a gauge of where i'm at after being injured nearly all of the summer. 

Hope everyone's enjoying their stuff and getting ready for the big one.  B)B)
  • :D  I'm doing Cardiff as well TrailRunner22, looking forward to it...like a flat training run for Snowdonia.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    +1 for Cardiff half, on the back of 3 x 17-milers in the three days before.

Also working until 0100 on Sunday morning, so not ideal prep.  Then drive to my youngest son's place in Cardiff for the night.  Only a 10-minute walk to the start in the morning.
  • Hi everyone.

Looking forward to another Snowdonia Marathon. I managed to bag a place from someone dropping out. I've been doing that for the last 4 or so years. It avoids me having to go through the mad rush at the start of the year whilst also taking a place from someone who can't do it any more. It'll be number 9 for me this year although I'm currently suffering from the worst back ache I've ever had. I couldn't even move on Sunday. Hopefully I'll be ok for the 27th.

Good luck all.
  • Hello all. So Warsaw marathon was last Sunday. It's equally important to me to share failures as well as successes. If not more so actually! Accountability is crucial to our growth and learning. So for those interested here's how Warsaw unfolded...

http://ultradiscostu.blogspot.com/2018/10/warsaw-marathon-2018-part-of.html?m=1
  • Perhaps I'm the only one, but seeing that number (times you've run SNOD) is very satisfying. I suppose the aim will be to get into double figures before I get too old for running the event. :smiley:
  • Where do we find out race number? 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    A good read, Stu.  I'll be working on my splits soon which will be way slower than even your last 2 miles!!

I'm looking to do 25 hours of running and 3 x 30-minute rests (I hesitate to call them recoveries).  I'll be posting detailed plans on here.  If anybody is around at 1415 on the Friday it would be nice to have a send off.  I'll be leaving from Pantri then for my first lap in the opposite direction.

Can I do this??  Only one way of finding out.

• Absolutely will be there Trex to send you off!! Then I'll retire back to the Pantri for more coffee and cake 😝
  • Managed to get organisers to edit my nickname! Phew. 
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Great blog again UDS. Brilliant read! Lots of experience to take from the day. Good luck at snod!