Running Club Insurance

Hi, I'm involved in a local running club and have just joined the committee. We are UKA affiliated and run regular road / trail session where a leader will take a group of runners of a similar pace out for a run and then do some stretches afterwards. Until recently we believed this type of activity was covered by the club's UKA policy with the run leaders being classed as "volunteers". However we have been advised that this is potentially classed as "coaching" and therefore leaders need to have reached LIRF standard at a minimum or they could be personally liable for any accidents or injuries that occur during the session. We encourage a lot of people to lead groups and putting them all through a LIRF qualification will be quite expensive. Before we commit to this I wondered if any club members were aware of any alternative forms of insurance cover or a different way we could structure our sessions (I know a LIRF can supervise). To be clear we're not trying to scrimp on safety or the development of our members, but before we spend a significant sum and also potentially restrict the number of people that can lead sessions, I just wanted to make sure we had explored all the options and are doing the right thing.

Comments