Southampton Marathon

124»

Comments

• I am getting a bit fed up with just lazing around, and taking things easy...after a 3 miler on Wednesday, all I've done is play 6 or 7 games of table tennis...so im going to go out tomorrow morning for a very easy two miler. I can't wait to get started now...
    By the way there will be a mist machine at the itchen bridge on Sunday...so I suppose it saves having a shower in the morning ? I think it will be much needed if the temps stay as they are.
    53 miles...that's some distance... !!! Good luck on that one..
    Enjoy Sunday everyone, and I hope your targets are all met...I just want to get round in one piece with a time of 5 hours and be looking good enough for a picture at the end.

• We have just had a big thunderstorm with lots of rain so it should be cooler tomorrow.
  • Well I certainly enjoyed the run, but not the heat..phew it was hot...didn't get anywhere near my 5 hour target, but I'm not worried or annoyed.
    I enjoyed the local neighbours out with thier bags of sweets, drinks and hosepipes offering them to every runner..didn't I need those and the drinks station's all seemed to be nicely spreadout with water, lucozade and gels on offer.
    Luckily I came into the finishing straight by myself and wasn't it great to hear the boards being banged and everyone clapping...and yep they were clapping me.. I milked it and so didn't sprint at the end...once over the line I jogged down to pick up all the bits and pieces and felt really pleased with myself.
    Looking back I got to half way in my target time but the heat just took it out of me in the second half, and some of those miles from 17 onwards I found very tuff. 
    Still I really enjoyed the experience, and I now need to beat my pb. How did everyone else get on?

• Well done Dave- welcome to the Marathon brigade. 
    It was very hot and hilly!!!
    i finished in 3:54 which was slightly behind the 3:45 I wanted. However the heat in the second half and those long hills were very tough. I’m pleased with my time given that and will have a fairly easy week before stepping up again for my mad ultra. 

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Well done Stephen...not that far from your target (I can beat that!) And great that you can look at the positives, Dave, after a tough event.
    Without being familiar with the course I was anticipating something in the region of 4:15 on the day. Only half hour out...4:37 chip time,but Garmin gave me a distance of 26.67...almost half a mile long? 
    As soon as I got going I realised that I wasn't 100% fit, but enough of the excuses. I looked for the results of the other two 70+ male runners, but only found my result. Probably means that I was the oldest finisher. Position 633 out of 1103 places me about 57% through the field. 
    My daughter, running her first marathon, also found the going tough, and (like me) could not relate it to her long training runs. She finished just outside 5 hrs. but was not too concerned; already looking for her next!   See you next year? 
  • My garmin said 26.62miles right from the start line to the finish line.. mind you I probably didn't take the shortest line in lots of places.

Well done Stephen and MrM2.. very good times...

There are nearly 1600 photos on the Southampton Daily echo website if you want to look through them...

• Everyone I have spoken to has said the same ref the distance. I have a fit bit which is really accurate and it also said I ran 26.6 miles. We can’t all be wrong!!
    so I’m adjusting my time and reckon I ran marathon in 3:49 LOL.
    not looking forward to the photos going to look a mess.
    mr m2 your probably right ref only 70plus runner. I came 18th in my age category so got to be happy with that. 
    Not for me next yr. I’m doing ultra in June, Chicago marathon in October, either Tokyo if I get in or Edinburgh next year.

• Thinking of running this for 2019 and would be aiming for around the 3hr mark but slightly concerned about stories of faster marathon runners getting caught up amongst slower competitors for the other distances. Anyone know if the organisers have made any changes for next time?