P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Brrr. Did 17 in the end.
    Don't you get tired Tom? So impressed you can do all that early morning running no matter the weather, then work all day in a primary school, and have a young family. Respect to Tom is due.
    ...and Phil for 2 hours on a treadmill! I used to do a lot of treadmill running, no longer a member of a gym though. Not sure I've ever managed 2 hours though, I do remember running 11mi on one once as roads were all icy.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Is it Reg's birthday today? I seem to remember his was the day before mine and it's my 40th tomorrow. Happy birthday Reg.

Supposed to be away in the Cotswolds without the kids but our in laws couldn't get down to babysit so stuck at home.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Phil: that is impressive and insane at the same time. Mate of mine did 17 miles on the treadmill at the weekend. It was as awful as it sounds he said, but needs must.

SQ/Spoons: loving the pictures on Strava - some great snow/frost shots! Although it feels like a foreign country to us down here.

I must say we have it very lucky down here on the South Coast - no snow and just a little frost and temp is -1degree at worst. I did manage to do my best Dancing on Ice impression last night but managed to stay upright during a club hill session.
  • Jools - Nice parkrun, and sorry to hear of the cancelled XC. No, not Telford - my race was some casual race series job in London. The race went ahead in the snow, I'm pleased I didn't go as I wouldn't have made it back home with the train and road problems. I've deferred to next year so now have a long term race in the calendar.

Phil - great effort on the treadmill, especially with no distractions. Apparently Chrissie Wellington's coach used to make her do treadmill marathons in a basement to build mental strength.. I shudder at the thought.   

Happy birthday for today Reg and tomorrow HA! Sorry to hear your plans have been ruined by the snow. 

Well done to everyone for getting out in the cold.

I really cannot wait to start up running again. I plan to go out for 20 mins on Saturday for my first run back. Fingers crossed.     

• JCG, I think her coach regularly has his athletes doing full distance marathons in the cellar on a treadmill. I might give it a go, but would need a very good fan to keep cool. 
  • Phil - 2 hours on the treadmill is very impressive. 

It is indeed Reg's birthday today - happy birthday mate, hope you have a good one.

And the big 4-0 for HA tomorrow! Sorry to hear the Cotswolds didn't work out, hopefully you'll still do something fun. Do you qualify for a bus pass now then?

Still messing around with some shorter runs and swimming/biking. Got a 5km track race on Saturday, not expecting anything spectacular there. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Yes, Ha, it is fact my birthday today. I decided to take the day off as well and hit the Chilterns for a hilly and very icy trail run. It was beautiful with all the snow but hard work. A couple of the steepest hills had me resorting to a power walk and I'd normally run up them. It was also notably my slowest ever pace for a run at 9:14 minute miles.

Elsewhere there has been lots of impressive running. A two hour treadmill session doesn't sounds like much fun to me!

Thanks for the birthday wishes and happy 40th tomorrow HA, welcome to the club, don't go stealing any vets prizes off me though.
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Reg. I like your style, celebrating with a run in this weather.

Impressive long run Westy before you have even started the plan.

6 miles easy run into work for me. Yup, it was cold.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Happy Reg and HA you old farts.
  • Happy birthday Reg and HA, shame about the change of plans but I hope you both have good celebrations.
    I'm looking forward to the snow going now as I've done the sledging and stuff and want to get back to normal training.
    1h10 on the turbo trainer today while watching 2016 VLM on YouTube.  Kipchoge is so strong.
  • Happy birthday Reg sounds like you had a lovely run to celebrate.

Have a great day tomorrow HA. 

No run for me this evening.  Car covered in ice of the nastiest sort, thought about running to the meeting point for a few extra km but the roads are one big skating rink anyway.  Oh well, I will try to go tomorrow instead in daylight.

Messed around with my 18 week plan to fit in other things in life (e.g. family xmas, weekend away in January).  First 6 weeks look pretty sorted.
  • Happy birthday Reg, and the same to you tomorrow Ha. Obviously a great week to have a birthday  ;) 

Well done to anyone getting out in this, with a few other things going on the snow has tipped me into the cnba abyss.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    I forgot the word Birthday in my post.
    Dear oh dear.

Scorchio next week.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Happy Birthday Reg and HA!

Nice midweek long run Westy. Yes, I do get tired at about 4 or 5 and then I'm knackered by 7 and ready for bed at half 8.

A balmy 8 degrees at 4:15 this morning. A progressive 12 miler starting with a 6:45 mile and finishing with a 5:58. 6:16 m/m avg. for the lot.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Good grief Tom. Well done again...
    Short easy runs for me for rest of week until start of 18wk plan.
  • Happy Birthday Reg and HA!!

Warmer here today, but the footpaths are absolutely lethal....binned my planned 8 miles off at the end of the road and turned around and went home....was well worth getting out for 5am!! No point even trying to run as it was so slippy I was struggling to walk! Did a short body pump class with the GF instead. Hoping conditions improve tomorrow!
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday Reg and HA and well done for entering the 40+ age group category :D

Lovely mild 8 degrees this morning - just a 7 miler to keeps the legs ticking over.

Tom - impressive as always!
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    That sort of forecast is definitely allowed Westy!

Happy Birthday Ha!

Great run as ever Tom.

I know what you mean Steve. Even my local trail had some ice rink sections! Managed a slightly slow and weary 13 miles this morning @ 8:00 pace. So happy to be back to normal cold and damp weather.
  • Happy Birthday Reg and HA. 

Milder here today, but slick and icy underfoot. Probably the most dangerous it’s been, but my trusty screw shoes are keeping me upright. Quite a lot of rain forecast, really hope it shifts it.
  • Happy birthdays Reg & HA.
    Broke my streak yesterday after 68 days. My bursitis has been getting more painful since XC 10 days ago. Think the parkrun was the final straw coming as it did at the back end of my biggest week to date. The snowy conditions weren't helping either, which is gutting as I usually love running in the snow, so taking a couple of days break to see if it improves. Just a gym session so far today but planning to get out for a swim after work.
  • Good effort on the 17M in the cold, Westy. And I agree with the big ups for Tom, always so positive despite silly o clock running!

Happy birthday to the almost twins, HA and Reg. Having met you both briefly, I wouldn’t have put a day between you! HA the Cotswolds are very icy – pretty, but could have been hard work with the family had you been somewhere remote.

Hope you get going again JCG.

Hope the bursitis improves Jooligan. Forget the streak and think long term.

Wore the Yaktrax for yesterday’s 9M with 6 x 12 hills reps and 8 x strides. Worked well and felt confident underfoot. This afternoon almost seemed more treacherous, as spoons says. I think it was because it was so patchy – you never quite knew what you’d be running on. So ditched the outdoor tempo plan after a 2M warm up and jumped on the treadmill instead. It is never quite the same, but did a further 9M including 20 and 18 mins at 16.1kph, 1% incline, with 4 min jog recovery. Not being as mentally strong as Phil I stuck some music on a some youtube ‘virtual runner’ videos of nice running paths in Hawaii. The weather there was somewhat different to outside.

• Well, I think I've had more birthday wishes on here than I have from my real life, so thanks again. It's funny how we celebrate just staying alive one more year. To be clear, I am 2 years HA's senior, it's scary that I remember turning 40 and talking about it on these pages, it only seems like a few weeks ago.

Well done to those tiptoeing through the ice. Jools, sounds like a wise move, it must be difficult to make that decision when you're on a long streak, just ask ML and his Kenyan shuffle.

SQ, you really seem to be putting together some good training both before and after Abo.

There's no ice down here so I managed a short 6.6 mile progression run. Started at 7:2x and finished with a pair of 5:5xs I suspect the London 18 week starts soon, which can only mean I will be doing the 12 week plan as I've barely put any mileage together yet. Averaging 27 miles for the last 4 weeks isn't really going to lead into a 55 mile week.
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    I hear you Reg! I am closer to 15 miles over 4 weeks and was planning on jumping into the 70-85 plan but only just getting back into it. Just in time for a 40C day today B)
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    40C?! Ugh.
    Another easy run today. Only managed just under 4mi yesterday, weather was so appalling I sacked it off.
    I'm only a few years away from 50! Now, that is a scary prospect.
  • John - 40C...jeez. I'd melt in that sort of heat!!

Managed to get out for an easy 3 miles last night and another 8 miles this morning. Took both nice and slow as still icy in patches, actually ran half of those miles in the road, as they are in a better state than the pavements!! Hoping the thaw continues, so that I can get my 14 miles in on Saturday then an LT session in on Sunday!
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    A couple of days off for me, was feeling a bit tired and stiff so probably for the best. Should be back into it today with some sort of session, maybe a tempo or progression of sorts. Definitely only considering a 12 week plan. I think I'll just try to maintain decent mileage with the occasional session depending how I feel until 12 weeks out. In reality it probably won't be much different to doing a 18 week plan but it just feels more relaxed, especially over Christmas / New Year.

Just paid my London entry and got the email saying:

"You will be taking your place on the start line on Sunday 22 April alongside the world’s greatest distance runner Sir Mo Farah"

Surely this is a mistake and should be Eliud Kipchoge. I know it shouldn't bother me but I don't really like Mo and find it annoying. Grumpy old man now that I'm 40. Doesn't he want to be known as Mohamed now anyway?

John - I don't miss doing long runs over a Brisbane summer. Good work getting out there. 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    HA: that's ridiculous if thats not a mistake. The world's greatest really? I was thinking about 12w plan as it worked well for Abo but I think I need the 18 weeks if I want to improve my time significantly at London. Would be nice to think about relaxing at Christmas rather than planning how to get all the runs in when not intoxicated and without pissing the family off :D

John: I envy the weather but not the training in it. Its tough going in the summer over here when it might get over 25 so 40 would kill me! Still must be lovely to have sun at this time of year.

RunCamp strength and conditioning session this morning - it was a balmy 7 degrees here and not a sign of frost. My glutes and hammys are hurting less after 6 weeks of these sessions so I think I have definitely built some good strength. I'm going to keep doing them each week during marathon training as a lot of my niggles have gone as a result too.

• JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Just to clarify it was a mild 20C when I ran this morning but did hit 40C by mid pm, like walking in an oven. 

Agree HA77 about mo, he's not even the greatest on the track let alone the marathon. Not surprised he isn't planning to show up for SPOTY (I have a dimilar dislike of hamilton and can't imagine froome will show his face now)

Another one in the masters category, coming up to 44 in Jan  :o. Hopefully still a junior in marathon PB years though...
  • Sorry to hear about the bursitis Jooligan. Take it easy.

Good work on the treadmill session SQ.

There is perhaps an argument that Mo is the greatest championship distance runner, certainly in terms of medals. But hard to argue he’s better than Kipchoge overall, and in the marathon I doubt it will ever be even close between them! But let’s be honest… how many people running London will even have heard of Kipchoge? Could be worse, they are literally advertising the Manchester 10K as “Mochester” because he’s running!

Thought I might get away with normal shoes this morning, but was sadly mistaken. The mile stretch along the river from my building to a footbridge is mostly clear, but still has a few nasty ice patches and I nearly went flying a few times so swapped back to the screw shoes and just ran that mile back and forth to get my medium-long run done. I found that repetitive enough, so god knows how you managed your treadmill run Phil. Was nice to do some slightly faster running though after trudging around in the snow for the past 4 days.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    I would say he is the greatest on the track although he has just retired...so...not sure... but he's not the greatest distance runner in the world for sure...maybe they should put UK's greatest distance runner....or even maybe just England's greatest distance runner...?

Anyway, it's all about Farah for the home audience in London, so you'd better get used to it. Will be interesting to see how he gets on, and what his strategy is. He may be able to beat the UK record, but I doubt he'll be up front with the East Africans.