P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Interesting stuff westy !
    had another day off today... see what tomorrow brings.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Thanks Tom. Means a lot.
    Plus, we have Baileys.
  • Strong commitment to the lash from the thread today: Reg’s post 2hr sleep run, Joe’s beer mile and Tom’s adventing. But surely IPA should be pale?!

6M easy recovery transitioning into red wine and homemade curry  :)
  • 0 miles so far this week.

Hopefully FoD park run tomorrow... might see you there Jooligan...
  • I'll be there NE: it's going to be a quagmire!
    The Gloucester Half/Marathon/50K has just announced a change of date from 21st to 14th of January. Good job you'd not entered it Muddy.
    Still snow/ice around here so 5M on the track today brings me up to double figures for the week so far.
    No drinking for me this w/e - probably.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning.
    Definitely too slippery for a LT run this morning. 10 steady mi instead.
  • 12 slippery icy miles for me this morning ...
  • FoD PR cancelled for only the 2nd time ever but fortunately the decision came just before I left the house so I managed to get to Lydney. Jogged to the start then found they were delaying it to allow others to make it from Coleford. Went out hard & was leading til Lap 2 when a clubmate half my age 'jogged' past me. He then eased off & I went past him but he overtook me again at the same point on Lap 3 but this time he held pace to the finish coming in about 5s ahead of me. Matched my PB of 19:02 set 13 months ago when I was in top form post Abo training.
  • 2hrs sleep post sess - I couldn’t have done that in my prime.

Well done for getting out Westy & FBT.

Jools - well done for beating the weather, and almost the entire field.

Made my local PR debut today after a few volunteering stints. Whilst hilly and part trail, the ice wasn’t a factor.  Happy with a 19:38 for 5th at this stage of the campaign after a fairly rubbish week, and last run as a v4*
  • Nice PRs Macca/Jools.

I ran to and from Parkrun this morning, was pretty icy on the route there and back but the course was not too bad, just a few slippy bits. Did 10 miles in total and 17:31 for the Parkrun bit (2nd). That was my first PR of the year and it took me a while to get into it, hence my last mile was the fastest.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, winter's over tomorrow.

Great PR times Reg, Macca and Jools.
  • We're not going to get our milestone t-shirts anytime soon Reg, only my 2nd of the year, 1st was New Years Day.
  • Well done guys, good running Macca and Jools. 
    I've felt pretty rubbish all week, but perked up a bit today. 10 miles at aerobic threshold today (whatever that is!).
  • Nice tempo session mid run there Reg.
    Well done Macca
    Thanks for the update Westy - must admit I suspected as much cause I overheated a bit on this afternoon's fell race! Wore a T-shirt under my vest & my parkrun jacket over the top cause there was snow on the ground & a bitterly cold wind waiting for the start.

• True Macca but I did keep my run of doing at least one Parkrun for the last 5 years and I've doubled my PO10 races for the year. At this rate I will get my 50 t-shirt in approx 10 years time.

Afternoon fell race Jools  :D

In your case aerobic threshold is fast, Phil.
  • Reg I read an article recently about different thresholds levels, Anaerobic/ lactate and aerobic. Not exactly sure but I think aerobic threshold is about marathon pace, lactate threshold about 10 mile to half marathon.  I'm guessing to improve marathon racing running at or near aerobic threshold is a good think to push it up.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    That's certainly how I interpreted training aerobic threshold Phil but I would have thought it was below MP. Did you work to HR or pace today?
    Only a short FR Reg: 3.5M with over 1100ft of climb.

I should reach 300 parkruns on Jan 6th. I started in July 2011 but only averaged one a month for the first 5 months. I've since averaged 49/yr for 6 years.
  • Jools I went on HR today and kept it 143-146 (about 7 bpm lower than my last half marathon) which worked out 5.45 pace although I only looked at pace for curiosity.  A few things I read said aerobic threshold is around MP but I guess like all things different experts have different opinions/ideas.
  • Help - 53 new posts to read...

Nice parkrunnng this weekend by Macca and Reg and Jooligan.  

I started in on my 18 week plan yesterday - a couple of days early for 22.04.2018 but doing my long run during the week suits me better and a few extra days won't hurt.

So I did 8 miles with a bit under 4 (well it was 6km) at LT pace.  Was a good outing - could have done more of the faster miles but there is plenty of time for that.

Just worked out I've done about 1% of my planned pre-marathon kms.  Well it is a start.
  • Well done on the session & reining yourself in Hazelnut. It's a long campaign & like the marathon pacing is the key to success. 
    Happily your pace was about right then Phil, looking good for the sub 2:30.
    Saw this recently & thought a couple of you speedsters almost qualify https://www.englandathletics.org/england-athletics-news/marathon-programme-underway-with-event-in-forest-of-dean?nid=551&userId=-1
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Great tempo run phil. Keep that up and you'll be looking good come april.

Great fell race Jools. Awesome form in parkrun. I like the idea of that training group but it looks like it's for future stars rather than over 40s trying to relive the glory days.

Good start Hazel. Just got to keep plugging away consistently.

Reg - Good boozing and parkrunning.

Happy birthday Macca. Nice parkrun too.

Joe - saw your club 5k in Strava but no beer mile. What's the go?

Sorry if I missed anyone.

Cricket going well. 

Had a long run planned yesterday but locked my keys in my car and didn't fit it in. I was really quite pissed off. Fortunately my wife was occupied with the strictly final so got out for 19 miles tonight.
  • Great racing jooligan, Reg and Macca.  

It was supposed to be a pretty special Park Run for us today... two of our club members were marrying each other at lunchtime and had decided to start the day with a run round Forest of Dean... and perhaps 20 of us went to join them... but as Jooligan said, it was frozen off. We just had a jog round the track and a few nice photos.

I ran  8m through the forest up to the park run... and a different route back, finishing with 5 miles at faster than marathon pace... those miles averaged 7.25 so I was pushing on well.  Total was 18.2 miles, which brings my week's total to 18.2
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Nice MP run NE.

Standard two races in one day for Jooligan!

Fast parkruns Reg and Macca.

Impressive dedication Havto run 19 miles at night.

Good running Westy, FBT, PM2 and Hazelnut.

17 with 8 @ MP for me first thing this morning. Despite a sluggish pace in the warm up I managed to get my legs out of plod mode for the MP miles. Pace on a the MP miles averaged about 6:40 so happy with that. Probably my best session since the summer.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Good running all. Well done on your MP run Ramjet.

12 soggy miles for me this morning.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all

Excellent PRs from Reg, Jools and Macca.

Well done Hazel, nice session.

Good long runs HA and Ramjet.

Not going to mention the cricket.

Great running everyone else.

Not very windy today just pouring with rain. Felt incredibly sluggish and lacking in energy/enthusiasm. 17 miles @ 6:33s. I think I need to have my first mince pie of the season to perk me up a bit!
  • Jools that's an impressive no of park runs!!!
    7 miles of cold hills today for me, and a sore foot. Not sure where it came from.
    no one is to mention the cricket please......
  • Good miles on an off day Tom.
    That's a solid 18 miler NE.
    Nicely done Ramjet.
    Hopefully the sore foot goes as quickly as it came on FBT.
    Gentle jog from home to our club Xmas Tree Race - a 5.5M hilly, muddy trail race. Glad I wasn't trying to do any kind of session as there were loads of dodgy icy sections & countless broken trees to negotiate. We were very fortunate that the snow/ice had cleared enough for the race to go ahead. Took 6 people 3hrs of chopping & dragging to remove the trees/branches from the course yesterday. I enjoyed tea, bacon roll & home-made cakes then took the soft option & got a lift home so just 8.5M for me today.
  • Nice long runs Tom, HA, Ramjet, Westy. Shame on you Jools for not running home. lazy bastard.

Personally I've learnt not to care about the Ashes when it's in Australia, it's much better over here as the home advantage really makes for a competitive event.

Nice start to the plan Hazel and shame about the PR NE.

I've done nothing so far but the power of this thread and the impending failing daylight is starting to motivate me.
  • Impressive hangover run Reg. 

Top parkruns Jooligan, Macca and Reg. But hope you’re looking after that bursitis Jools. Impressive number of parkruns. Despite always living close to one I think I’ve only managed about 15, so won’t be getting a tshirt anytime soon either. 

Good session Hazelnut and wise not to overreach now. 

Nice MP runs NE and Ramjet. 

Well done getting 17 done despite the off day. 

I’ve had a good weekend, feel like something has clicked and I’m getting back to where I was in Sep/Oct. Did 11 easy yesterday, which came out at 7:13/mi and felt very good. Then today did 20 miles averaging 6:53/mi, with the effort feeling right and the legs strong. 

Very pleased to be hitting that pace at this stage. Obviously the lack of faster running due to the snow earlier in the week probably helped, but still a positive start. 

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Do I get a t-shirt for never having done a parkrun?

Very impressive weekend Spoons. I reckon you are going to have a massive 2018 and run big PBs in all distances.

Great 18 miler NE.

Unlike you to take the easy option Jools. I'm sure if it had been a race to get home you would have run it.

You better get out there Reg!

3 mince pies have certainly helped me feel a bit better. I'm much better at eating and drinking than running at the moment!