Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    Congrats HA on the new job!
    AWC - Sounds like a tool, no need for any of that!

I had a run in with a dog owner before too, running down the canal towpath and 3 small dogs started barking at me and being aggressive. I stopped running to see if the owner was going to come out of the barge to collect them so I could pass. Waited for a while and nothing so walked forward to more barking. Ended up swinging my foot at the one and telling it to feck off! Owner comes out after I had shouted "hello anyone there" to tell me it was my fault as I was running through her garden and they were being protective of the property.....I did point out it was a canal towpath rather than her garden!!
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    5 mile recovery at lunchtime today and no confrontations with angry psychotic cyclists :)
  • Options
    Nice one HA, that sounds like a win especially as you've been able to get so much running in for the last few weeks.
    AWC, sounds like a numpty,  I always come away from encounters like that really annoyed at the arrogance of some people.  
    Half marathon fasted early this morning. It felt hard and was a good mental workout.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Good news HA & as Reg says: time to buy a bike. That way you can cycle in & run back, then do the reverse the following day.
    Not surprised it felt hard Phil: 21x 1K laps at a decent pace too.
    Better day then AWC.
    Another 13.3M for me today. Same route but started upstream so wasn't surprised the first half felt easier as there's got to be a marginal descent but really pleased the up felt easier too. Same HR & 2 minutes quicker than yesterday. Maybe cause I wasn't in the pool for an hour beforehand but I was chopping wood for longer than that before going out.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Congrats Ha!
    Sounds scary AWC, what a dick. Hate shit like that.
    Did my LT run today, 4mi@LT. Mostly went ok...tried to stick to 6min/mi, slowed a bit in the 3rd mile.
  • Options
    Well done HA ...I got a new job starting in Jan as well. 
    AWC.... that's outrageous , plenty of idiots out there. 
    saying that I was attacked by 3 dogs at the weekend when running. 2 dogs flanked me each side and the one at the back tried to attack me, before the owner called him off.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Congratulations on the new jobs HA and FBT.

Crazy scary stuff AWC-what an idiot!

Great training going on as the plans start kicking in-great work everyone.

10 miles with strides yesterday followed by a very early start (4:05) for my 15 miler this morning. Very mild out there today! Steady (6:22s) felt quite good. Coffee and porridge time now. Have a good one! :)
  • Options
    Tom!!! Are you a bloody vampire or zombie. 4am start! So you must have been up at 3:30am. At least there are no idiots on bikes or dogs I guess!
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    I keep thinking it will begin to sound normal Tom doing 4am runs but no, that’s never gonna happen! Great run

11mi MLR today. Bit foggy but no ice and pretty mild
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    FBT - Congrats on the new job.
    Tom - Cracking early morning run!

7 miles this morning, forgot I had to do strides though!!! Doh!
  • Options
    AWC - slightly depressing that there are still people out there like that. Good LT session the other day though.

All the best wih the new jobs HA and FBT.  Hopefully it will distract you from the Ashes HA.

Great early run Tom. Mine finished last night about 11.30pm, we must live in different time zones.

Last day of work today before the xmas break, target is to maintain the LRs and MLRs over the next fortnight and anything else will be a bonus.
  • Options
    Thanks steve, macca and tom.
    im taking a few days off to rest the foot. Was not that bad but better rest now then weeks off. Might be the new running shoes with lack of arch support. Any excuse not to run!
  • Options
    runspoonrunrunspoonrun ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Sorry to hear about your run in AWC. There are some idiots around, glad it didn’t turn violent! Cyclists around here are generally pretty good, certainly much better than in London where they’d bomb along the canals expecting you to leap out the way. Some dog owners can be a bit of a pain though. 

Good news on the jobs HA and FBT, nice to get that sorted before Christmas.

Welcome back Andy. Lots of people on an LT run which is when you know it’s 18 weeks until London! I had my first one today, although it was split in to 3x10 mins with 2 mins recovery. As the schools are off I took the opportunity to use the local track as I didn’t want to have to faff with a head torch and if I waited for light there’d be too many aforementioned dog owners around.

Very pleased with the result, being able to monitor splits every 200m ensured metronomic pace and I averaged 5:59/mi for the first two and 5:58/mi for the last. I actually rounded up the session slightly to 10.5ish minutes, as that made for exactly 7 laps. So overall more than 5 miles at sub-6 per mile, right on Daniels LT pace. Given how I can sometimes struggle for pace in tempo runs, very happy with that.

• Options
    Well done on the jobs HA and FBT - I start a job in the new year too. Must be the season for it. 

AWC - That cyclist sounds like a maniac. Glad you avoided getting in a fight. 

Great LT run spoons and some solid starts to the 18 week plan. 

FBT - hope the foot is ok.

No real progress on my knee. Still no running. Going a bit bonkers. Maybe santa will bring me a new one. 
  • Options
    Maniac cyclist AWC.  Hopefully someone bigger than him will throw him off his bike sometime.     

Careful on the bike and on ice ramjet - done that a few times myself though in the past and have been lucky so far.

Jools I find cars even worse for blinding you.  I run decked out in high-viz in the dark and sometimes with all sorts of flashy lights (festive decoration?) and drivers will often approach with dipped lights but then annoyingly turn on the full beams so as to have a better look at what/who it is.  Nice cross-training - do you get to burn that wood as well?

Well done on your new job HA.  Bloody dogs or rather dog owners.    

HM early and fasted sounds tough Phil.

And  more new job congratulations for FBT and JCG.  Sorry to hear about your ongoing knee problems JCG.

Ouch to 4:05 running Tom.

Nice track session spoons.

Me:  9 miles GA yesterday evening.  I usually run with a group on Tuesdays and one of my plan tweaks will be to top up this 6mile run to do a GA outing off of the plan wherever that fits in.  So I got to the meeting point earlier and did a couple of pre-miles.  Need to get the timing right so I'm not waiting for any time for the rest to turn up but did a few stretches.  Only one other bloke was out last night. He wanted to push himself a bit - I nearly couldn't keep up up the hill (around 950 ft in total).  He must have been practicing. 
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone.

Well done on your new jobs too, FBT and JCG. Hope that knee gets sorted soon.

Nice training HMs Phil and Jools. Agree that it takes some willpower to do 21x 1km loops Phil.

Steve - the run doesn't count without the strides.  ;)

Saw that late night MLR Macca. The things we do hey.

Some good LTs doing the rounds too.

Tom - there are 2 things that amaze me about your running. Firstly that you can get up at 4:05 and still function through the day and deal with kids and secondly that you can run so well in training and not have it come together on race day. I can't help but think you've got a great marathon in you and that you'll do it sometime soon.

After saying I was glad I've not got any LTs scheduled yet I ran my work handicap race, which was pretty much 4 miles at LT. Felt ok but not quite there yet. Pace was ok and was in control so can't be too disappointed. I can't help but think I won't be quite ready to run a great time at Wokingham but I'm looking forward to seeing how I go.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Congrats on your job too FBT.

Hopefully you've been a good girl this year Coops and Santa sorts you out.

Tom, nice run, the time you post about your run is too early for me to be out running.

Nice GA run Hazel, you better practice more to put him in his place.

I laughed when I saw your run on Strava Phil, you defintely have a screw loose going round in cricles like that.

It's all relative HA, you'll be running a great time I expect. Nice LT run Spoons.

I also did an LT run today 10 miles with 4 @ LT. After doubling my mileage to 50 miles last week, I put in an extra rest day and also got the better coniditons. Went out to Dorney lake and I had no excuses but my legs just felt slow. The 4 came out at 5:59 average but I'd like to see 5:4x for these runs. I think I will need the full 18 weeks to get into shape to make a proper dent in my PB.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    As our resident IT geek, Spoons, some guy seems to have set up some way of automatically commenting on Strava activities, rather annoyingly with "Nice Job." Even though my vocation is accountantcy not exercising. I looked at his own activities and he even makes the same comment on his own  :D

Not sure why these weirdos do things like this.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    I think...Tom runs a lot of his training runs too fast.
    6mi easy for me today.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    That's f**ked up Reg - we're all a little bonkers here but automatic strava commenting, WTF!
    Given the strength of your PB I'm not surprised you'll need a decent build-up. Your last campaign was rather minimalist too so you can't even rely on the gains made there.
    Well raced HA - thought that looked like a rather speedy training run on Strava.
    Solid fuel heating only here Hazel - good job I live in the forest. My night running is done on forest trails hence not complaining about car headlights. Sounds like a good run if a little harder than GA effort on the uphill.
    Sorry to hear you're still struggling with the knee JCG. FWIW I just ran on mine, which is my standard approach to injuries (along with Ron Hill's), & it appears to have improved anyway. I did have 2 low key days, 2 rest days then 2 more low key days last week but then I thrashed it Saturday. Was too painful immediately after parkrun to consider a cool-down but managed the afternoon fell race at 95% effort. Took a little while to warm up at the start & had to take it slightly easier than flat out on the grassy descent. Managed a gentle jog Sunday but bailed on making it into a LR as a precaution. This week I've done a HM each day so far & no pain - no real pace either which is key. Can't remember if you'd had a diagnosis but my advice would be to get out on it.
    Well done to all the newly employed. Personally I'm enjoying not being at work this week. 3rd HM in 3 days & knocked another minute off without pushing the HR any higher :)
    Feel like I should be doing an LT run but reminding myself I will be parkrunning Saturday & Monday then I have Round the Lakes 10K on Boxing Day so I'll carry on with my low intensity training method for a while yet. After last year's attempt at a long P&D programme think I'll wait & jump into the 18wk with 12 weeks to go - if I do it at all: my calendar is chock-a-block with races til VLM already!

Edit: agree with Westy re your runs Tom. ML was of the same opinion. Another possibility is that your body is primed to run between 4 & 6am so a 9:30am start is too late in the day.
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Crazy fast and early run as ever Tom!

Nice tempo pace Spoons and Reg.

Thanks Hazelnut. No ice on the forecast thank goodness!

I like your daily HM Jooligan. A bit unorthodox but it seems to be working and why not?

Another slightly dodgy LT run for me this morning. My legs were tired, it was dark and I just couldn’t get my HR up to the required level. Tempo miles averaged 6:30 in the end. Need to find a way of doing these on fresh legs...
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Good tempoing from Reg, Westy, Spoons and Ramjet.

Well raced HA-I'm sure you will be ready to run very well at Wokingham.

Really hope you get a bit of luck with that knee JCG and it recovers over the Christmas period. Congrats on the new job!

No need to do sessions with the amount of races you do Jools. Not surprised to hear you have a busy schedule in the new year. Nice HM streaking!

A slow 6 to start the day.....
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Congrats also on the job JCG, hope the knee improves soon for you.

Lots of solid tempo/LT sessions!!

LT run for me today, 9 miles with 18 and 14 mins at LT pace. paces were 6:33 and 6:44 for a 6:38 average. Need to hold pace better for the second section of the run. Overall pace was better than Sunday's which is good to see, but would like to see these paces going under 6:30!!

Rest day tomorrow (and day off work), but Xmas curry night with beer tonight. 15 miler planned for Saturday and a 3 mile recovery run on Sunday.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Steve: its early days on the LT stuff so that pace will drop to sub 6:30 I would of thought over the next month.

JCG: sorry the knee isn't recovered yet. Have you spoken to a physio to disgnose what it is? Knee stuff is often related to hip/core strength so I've sorted a lot of my problems with squats,lunges, deadlifts etc

Ramjet: tempos are difficult in the morning I find. Its the only evening run I do becuase I can hit the paces much easier.

HA: great job on the work handicap

Hazel: 950ft - nice hill running :)

Had my weekly RunCamp track session this morning - our coach delighted us with his take on the 12 days of Christmas for Runners:

1 plank with leg raises (each leg)
    2 inch worms
    3 tripod press ups
    4 100m sprints
    5 jump squats
    6 reverse lunges (per leg)
    7 air squats
    8 wide arm press ups
    9 plank with leg arches (each leg)
    10 burpees
    11 single leg hops/bounds (each leg)
    12 mountain climbers

So like the song we would follow the same pattern 1; 2,1; 3,2,1; 4,3,2,1; etc

By the time we got to the last rep (12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1) my 100 'sprint' was more like a recovery run :D

• Options
    23 Spraggins                 Joe                            Male S Clapham Chasers 01:18

I just copied this from the Wokingham half predcitions and all I can say is, once a sandbagger, always a sandbagger.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Hello. Off work today. 17mi this morning. Tired now.
     AWC - that 12 days Christmas run looks brutal.
  • Options
    Inspired by all the LT runs I thought I should step up to the plate with a slight twist. 2 mile warm up then 10 miles 20 seconds under then 20 over marathon pace. Really tough session but not boring. 
  • Options
    Nice session Phil, did you do it running around a lamppost?
  • Options
    Haha, no luckily there is a old telephone box at the end of my road. It makes the turns a bit better.