P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

AWC-cracking tempo pace again! I agree with Jools-you need to be racing a 10k pretty soon to take advantage of your current form.

Hazel-bad luck, hope it's only a small niggle and it goes as quickly as it came.

Sounds like the comeback is on Reg-great news!

Great mileage being posted by the usual suspects with some excellent long runs and progression runs going on.

Just been taking it easy then Jools! ;)

Decent HM Muddy if you weren't feeling great Muddy.

Glad to hear you are back to it NE. 15 week plan for Newport sounds good. I've just entered it myself. Whether I run it or not is debatable but it is very local........

Out at 4:15 this morning to be greeted with cold, wet and very windy weather. 12 miles with strides was the job. Conditions look shit for the rest of the week!
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Reg - after that masty ankle photo it’s a miracle you’re back so soon, hope the fitness comes back quickly. 

Muddy - it may not have been the race you were looking for but at least you know you were not 100% and have another chance soon. 

Jooligan - great recap and a good example of what every weekend must be like for you!

Tom - efficient as ever

Hazel - bad news that you’ve joined the injury wagon, hope it proves to be nothing serious. 

One of my favourite LT sessions this morning - 10x2 mins on/1 min off. By keeping the recoveries steady it came out about LT pace overall for a solid 30 min workout, even though half of it was into a fierce headwind. Probably the first time I’ve enjoyed running into the wind for the cooling effect!
  • Millsy - fantastic 10k off the back of an injury, well done.

JCG - good luck with testing the knee this week.

Hazel - sorry to hear about your calf, take it steady when you return to speed sessions.  There must be some fantastic trail races in your neck of the woods.

Muddy - sorry illness held you back at BM.  Decent effort in the circumstances, you could have been immortalised as the BM man who had an ermmm......accident.

NE - good luck with the 15 week plan, could catch on. On the other hand, I don’t think Jools race to fitness plan will catch on, fantastic effort though.

Some good LTs Steve, AWC and John (not seen one like that before), and quick, early, steady long stuff from everyone else.

Steve - I’ve a place in the Lakeland 100 in the summer, really looking forward to it. Before then a couple of spring maras followed by a couple of warm Up ultras. 

5m recovery felt like an ultra yesterday, I might swap today’s LT for a MLR as I feel like plodding.
  • Glad to hear you're coming back NE.
    Good work again John
    No point attempting an LT session so soon after any sort of distance race let alone a 43M one Macca! Consulting the WWJD? manual (1st edition) again I find that apparently you need 2 days rest between a hilly 53M & an interval session before racing a 5K the following day :p
    The 2nd edition would definitely extend the recovery period by skipping the interval session since the performance was rubbish (20:23) & I was weak afterwards so had to take another 2 days off running. I was still biking to work of course :D
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning.
    Good to see you're back in the land of the living NE.
    Good luck with the recovery Hazel, sounds like you're doing the right thing.
    6mi easy today, if easy is possible in torrential hail and sleet.
  • Macca - LL100 looks like a great race! The scenery will be stunning.
    NE - Think 15 weeks could be a good length plan, as I know some feel 18 weeks is too long a build up.
    Hazel - Sorry to hear about the calf, hope you recover quickly.
    Spoons - Great long run. Comforting to know I'm not the only one struggling on those runs!
    AWC - Cracking LT run. You really are in great shape at the moment.
    Ramjet - That was a nice bit of planning! Still got a 17 miler with last 3 at LT.....might do Parkrun at the end to get the LT section in.

8 miles with strides today, felt good. Got a 10k race in 3 weeks, so will be a good test to where I am at fitness wise.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Macca: Lakeland 100 looks brilliant. Scenery will be amazing and there will be a lot of elevation - too much for me at this stage! I've been looking at ultra mile races for summer 2018 - at the moment I've got it down to either Race To The Stones (100km) / NDW100 (100mi) / QE2QE100 (100mi). I'll also do Race To The King in June this year but it'll be a training run/tune up race as opposed to my A race.

JohnOz: nice LT run there - not one I've seen before. Sounds hard if you were running the recoveries as steady paced

Tom: sounds unpleasant out there at that time - forecast isn't great this week but hopefully it picks up the week after as the forecast is better
  • AWC - Do you think you'll go for a 100 miler then??
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Steve: I'm tempted to go for a 100 miler this year. Same as last year I will just go straight into ultra training off the back of the spring marathon but I'd give myself another 4-6 weeks of training for the 100 miler. Its a big jump from 55 miles last year but I definitely felt I could keep going longer on RTTK so I reckon its worth a shot this year. I could do RTTS which is 100km but thats only about 15km longer than RTTK. Have you got any ultras planned?
  • Its all been going on here.....

Even Madders is back...with Madbee Jnr

You crazy fool Macca stick with the marathon distance. (well done anyway)
  • Good to see you're in such good form AWC.

4:15 Tom, what the fuck is wrong with you! I reckon if you could find a race that starts at 4am you'd be untouchable.

Nice LT John.

Unlike Steve my run didn't really feel that good. I did 7 at lunch but felt like I'd done 17. I even got overtaken running along the river. It's only the third time that's ever happened and I couldn't help myself following and then going past about a mile later on. Thankfully the ankle quite enjoyed the extra pace.
  • Andrew - of course Tom would win.... there would only be 1 entry!
  • Evening all.

Great unexpected PB, Millsy! You seem in great shape, especially given the injury. Ultra training then speed work last year is certainly paying off. 

Great progression LR SteveMac. Although it is a ‘half’ training run, I reckon these will pay off come marathon time. 

Sensible analysis of the calf, Hazel. Hope it keeps improving. 

Cracking unofficial PB, AWC! Training going very well for you. 

A hectic couple of days has meant no posting. Had a very enjoyable 6M recovery run yesterday morning with spoons, followed by 4M further recovery in the afternoon. Great to chat away about all things running and not feel I’m boring the proverbials off the other person. Although maybe I was?! Anyway, all very slow, at a much need 8:55-8:20 pace. 

This morning was 9M easy at 7:30s, as I build in a very slight taper to this weekend’s 5M race. It was windy and I felt pretty fatigued. My lower legs feel a little tender, almost like they are bruised. Tomorrow morning will be a speed session, in the joyously returning wind. Unfortunately I can’t make a track session fit this week, so will do it based on time not distance. 

Tom would definitely win a 4am race if it involved starting in your pyjamas whilst still in bed. The man transitions like no one else. 

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Glad you are back running NE.

Have managed to miss the worst of the rain so far this week. 6 miles into work this morning was into a headwind but dry. Legs felt ok as well. Gonna try a Tom style early run tomorrow although a 6am alarm no longer sounds very impressive. It will be as dark as 4am anyway.
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    I love the fact that whilst us mortals do tune up races as 10k/HM macca does them as ultras :o

Reg - I bet it would be worth watching you in the school egg&spoon race :D

SQ - I know how you feel about the tired legs. 14M MLR today but now just want to lie down. I forgot how once you get into P&D there is an ever present fatigue in your legs. 

Poll question: which should I race this weekend (1) road HM to see where I am at but which has a sparse field so it may become a TT and also is an hour drive each way (2) trail HM almost next to my house but pretty technical (took me 2 hours last time) and 3x the cost
  • John 3x the cost would put me off, plus its a trail HM so not really specific to road marathons.
     so for me road HM to see where you are. I always do one approx 2 months and it sets my training expextations and paces.
    Plus i dont really like trail races. (like them for training runs).
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    John: I agree with FBT - the road HM is more specific for the training. Although cost wise when you factor in the 2 hour driving and parking etc is there a lot of difference in cost?

14mi MLR this morning - does anyone else struggle with these? I found today's the most difficult run for a while. It's early, midweek and before work plus I'm still feeling the LT session a bit from Monday night. Just feels like really hard work compared to my Long Runs at the weekend.
  • Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    AWV,
    I always find the MLR and LT runs the hardest, mentally and physically.

Regarding the cost of races, I am finding that im not entering many races anymore as the prices are getting silly , Great South 10 mile race was about £25 then went to about £45 in a few years and bright HM used to be £18-£26, now its a daft £40, and local 10ks used to be £10-12 and are now £20 on average.
    Hmmm I might be sounding a bit tight now!

• John - Nice MLR. Depends what you want out of it, the road HM will be a good test for pace, but less travel time for the trail one!
    AWC - Yes, have a 36 miler in May. Nothing longer this year. Will see what I want to do next year. Still want to tick off a 100 miler, but sort of said after my 100k that I wouldn't do any longer than that :D

Some icy patches here, but no snow, but it was cold....out at 4:20 for a 13 miler, pace felt nice and easy (8:30s). Meant to be doing a Vo2 max session tomorrow, but that will depend on the footpaths....if it's icy I'll move to the weekend and recovery run tomorrow instead.
  • John - that's a difficult one for me. A flat road HM is great training for a marathon and can offer you a realistic insight into marathon goals. It might also give the chance to really get something from a training campaign, even if you end up having a shocker in the marathon itself. Conversely, sparsely populated fields never lead to super fast times for me. How good are you at running solo? The trail race sounds great fun and logistically easier. It will still give a brilliant training affect, but 3X cost is a big negative. Although how does the extra driving of the other balance this? Good luck either way and enjoy.

Impressive MLRs Steve and AWC. 

I absolutely love running, and have never ever regretted going for a run. (Unlike the time I went for a swim, managed only 200m before all the kids floats and toys got released and then crashed my car in the car park - I definitely regretted that, essentially paying £1.50 per metre of swimming). But this morning wasn't enjoyable. A very thin film of ice made smoother tarmac lethal. I was in my adios, which didn't seem grippy on it. I just about managed 2 x 5 x (30s fast, 1:30 easy) amongst 10M. I sacked off another mile cool down (as per plan). No idea what the speeds were, but pretty slow I imagine. Still, there must have been some good core training with all the slipping. Moan over!
  • AWC - Nice MLR. I enjoy those runs, but the LT runs for me are the toughest of the plan. I think I just don't like pushing myself in training :D
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning.
    Usually I don't mind the MLRs.  Probably my fave runs are anything between 8 and 15mi, long enough to feel tired but not done in like a LR. Like Macca I don't like the LT runs, or VO2 etc., too far out of my comfort zone. I also don't really enjoy the easy recovery runs much, because I am usually all achy and don't want to run at all.
    12mi today. Perfect!
    JohnOz - not sure what to say..difficult choice.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Agreed with the above points about MLRs. I find a bit of 'flow' during these. Not having to work hard and usually losing myself in a podcast. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I always found the MLR to be a bit of a slog but it's in the middle of a working week, normally early morning fasted and possibly off the back of an LT run. So kudos to those that have just done one, especially if it was at 4:20am.

John, I think it depends on how much you enjoy trail runs, also what time of day are they, can you avoid the heat in either one? Personally I love trail running so if I just wanted the effort and training effect without time pressure I'd do the trail run. If I wanted a good time/PB int he HM I'd do the road race.

There's a cold wind here but lots of lovely sunshine and no ice.

FBT - If you're a club member you can still get some good, cheap races but a lot of the big city races are now expensive. For the charity/fun runner types I think it being expensive isn't an issue and maybe makes it feel like a bigger deal. I still do Reading HM but the £40 price is a bit much. They do offer a large discount of about £5-£7 if you're affiliated though.

Ankle/achilles was abit sore after yesterdays run but it seems to have recovered overnight so I plan to get out again at lunch time. No MLRs or LRs for me yet.

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Talking of MLRs being a slog......I set a PB for my earliest ever start-3:58am-for mine this morning. No ice just lots and lots of wind! 16 miles has wiped me out.....I shall probably go to bed at the same time as my seven year old son tonight!

More later after a read back at lunch...
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    The price of races is ridiculous and I think half of it is the race organisers trying to make a profit. I'm doing Reading HM which is £38 for a club runner but Bramley 20 mile race is only £24. Most of our local HMs are about £18-£20 because they are put on by the clubs and even some of those make a donation to charity if they have extra funds left over! I guess Sweatshop/Reading would say that it costs more to close the roads there etc
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I find it hard to get started on the MLRs but once I’m into it they fly by. I do find I do them slower than LRs but they seem to be working for me. 

Cheers for the opinions. I’m not in PB shape so it would more to set a marker of where I am as well as a good marathon session. Its $25 plus petrol vs $83 (yes thats about £50 in real money :o). If I knew there will be others I can run with it would be an easy decision. I do run most of the trail route often so it feels indulgent to then fork out $83 for the privilege...
  • Sorry to hear about the injury Hazel, take it easy hope it heals quickly.

Great threshold run AWC.

Glad you’re back healthy NE.

Super, super-early, running as ever Tom.

Great session John, I always find it hard to keep the pace up on the “off” section of those so nice work averaging LT overall. Personally I’d do the road HM, but then I don’t think I’ve ever done a trail race!?

No boredom on my side SQ :) Impressed you even attempted that session with that ice, not pleasant at all.

Nice early MLR Steve.

Regarding MLRs, I usually enjoy them, certainly more than LT runs. They can be hard work the day after a threshold session though.

I had originally hoped to do my long run later in the week, but today was the only day I could make work so I was out of the door at 6. I thought the wind was going to be the problem but as SQ said, it was very icy. I had no confidence underfoot and after almost binning it a few times I dropped back to a slightly easier effort. Still had a few slides at times but stayed upright. Not much fun, wind is bad enough but I hate running in icy conditions as you can't relax and enjoy the run. Probably as much mental training as physical today! I tried to embrace my inner Zátopek:

"There is a great advantage in training under unfavorable conditions. It is better to train under bad conditions, for the difference is then a tremendous relief in a race."

Although his other quote “today we die a little” came to mind as I ran along the bypass hoping I didn’t hit any ice.

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Spoons: speaking of Zatopek, I'm about 3/4 way through the book and its really enjoyable. His training methods were insane even by today's standards. Its hard to fathom how he did some of those sessions on his own all the time. And his marathon debut was even more impressive given he'd not trained for it specifically. If you haven't done its worth looking at the YouTube videos of the 1952 Helsinki Olympics, especially his 5k gold which was an epic race - reading about it though is more exciting than actually watching the footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmiPIstRZj4

Its very sad now reading about his exile and how he was treated, and what it did to him.
  • I liked his strategy for the marathon: he raced alongside Jim Peters, the British world-record holder. After a punishing first fifteen kilometres in which Peters knew he had overtaxed himself, Zátopek asked the Englishman what he thought of the race thus far. The astonished Peters told the Czech that the pace was "too slow," in an attempt to slip up Zátopek, at which point Zátopek simply accelerated. Peters did not finish, while Zátopek won the race and set an Olympic record....