P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Hello and welcome Andy.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Morning all.

Great to have Ramjet, Wenty and Westy back on board!

Welcome Andy.

Out the door at 4:30 for 10 miles @ 6:12m/m this morning. Lovely and cold out there!
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Westy - Another last one, good stuff. 

So FBT has gone back to the tortoise pic and Westy has used FBTs old pic, confused me for a second.

Good to have everyone back.

Andy - Welcome. Sounds like a good plan. Nice steady build up too. 3:30 sounds like a reasonable target at this stage. 

Normal service resumed for Tom. Nice one.

Probably just something easy with some strides for me today. First XC of the season planned for Sunday. It's 
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Oh, was it FIB/Wenty's old pic?...I guess I need to find one of me running to put up, new pc.
    Tom - still doing those mad early runs at ridiculous paces?! I'm off work today. Just ran 9mi. Off to do some black Friday shopping/fighting, doing my bit for the economy.

• HA - It confused me with Westy using my old Picture. I wanted to change my name back as well - but you cant change your name now on this forum.
    Cheers tom..Good to be back on the team! (you are the nuttiest person on here by far! 4:30am - Really..... you should be sectioned)
    Andy - I had your sort of times when i did my first marathon and I think you will find 3:30 will be within your grasp.
    Don't worry westy you are welcome to my pic.

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Westy: good to see you back...no really it is, I didn't mean to delete you form the list :D

Andy: welcome - its good to have someone else targetting more than 3 hours alongside me and NE. We were feeling abit lonely on here!
  • AWC - I will be targeting over 3 hours , Just not sure how far over 3 hours at present..so in good company....
  • Room for another one?

I was just finishing off reading my way through the autumn thread whilst waiting for the spring one to start up and suddenly there it was with more than 60 posts.

Might struggle a bit to keep up with you all - I certainly would runningwise. ;)

I haven't actually booked a spring marathon yet as I am waiting for the ballot results for Berlin 2018 before deciding what to do - at the worst I will do Zurich again (22.04.2018). 

I did try the London ballot but no luck.  I would have had a GFA but not being resident in the UK I couldn't use it to apply.  But I am not fussed about that - there are plenty of others I can still sign up for.

Bit of background:

I've done 2 road marathons off of MyAsics plans with 3:34 in Zurich last April and 3:37 in Frankfurt this October.  My wheels fell off a bit somewhere between km 32 and 35 for a new PB in Frankfurt as I didn't eat or drink enough on the day.  I also found 12 weeks to recover from a mountain marathon (SwissAlpine 47km) and then adjust to a much faster road one a bit short.  I would love to get below 3:30 and thought a change of training plan might help and why not have a go at P&D with higher mileage than the MyAsics ones have used.  I am planning on using the up to 55 miles / 18 week plan.

My current weekly kilometerage is around 50km post Frankfurt but I will start increasing that now.

I was looking at the sort of paces I should be running in training based my 3:37 marathon result (which was my last race).  These are a bit slower than those based on my 1:42 HM result 3 weeks earlier and slower again against a 3:30 marathon result. Given that I haven't done much speed work since Frankfurt and need to get back into the habit of tempo runs etc I would imagine it would be better to start with the slower ones and adjust to the faster ones later.  Does that sound like a good idea?

PBs:
    10k: 44:19 (2017)
    10 miles (hilly) 1:15:11 (2017)
    HM: 1:38:52 (2015)
    Marathon: 3:34 (2016)

I'm 42 and female and have been running since 2007, more seriously since 2013.  I'm from the UK originally, now living in Switzerland - hence the racing here.

So - enough rambling on for now sorry for the long post...
  • A couple of impressive marathons there hazaelnut!! Could you not have used someones address in the UK for a GFA place? or was the passport id a problem.
    I think sub 3:30 will be yours with the P&D plan!
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Hi Hazelnut - it's ok to be cautious with your training paces, but also you need to be trying to hit your lactate threshold and VO2 pace as closely as possible.
    So, maybe use your recent 10k for determining VO2 pace, and your HM for your LT pace? Maybe start practicing running at those paces now, for shorter durations, e.g. a few LT intervals for 10 mins with 5min breaks?
    And if you are targeting a 3:30 marathon you should try and hit this pace in your long runs with MP. 
    At this stage though it's all about getting used to running lots of miles before plan actually starts....that's what I'm doing. Am up to about 60mi/wk, and threw in a 20min LT run in last week.

• The thread is certainly filling up! Maybe I should buy the book,  is it worth it? 
    I've been ticking along this week after a hard session last Saturday with 11 miles at marathon pace. Today was an opener for tomorrow's cross country race which is the Northants masters cross country County Championship.  5 miles with a 5.10 mile towards the end to get the heart going a bit. 
    If the weather is like today's it will be lovely!
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    welcome Hazlenut!

It's definately worth getting the book Phil. Even if you dont intend to follow the plans it still has lots of useful stuff in there.

Calling Beer O'Clock for the first time on the new thread with a nod to the returning Westy and to everyone else who likes a beverage. Guinness for me tonight. Cheers!
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Cheers Tom...tucking into wannabe craft ales from tescos.
    No cross country for me, but my daughter is...the poor thing. Going to be bloody freezing.

• Beer O'Clock sounds good Tom.  I'll just join you there if you don't mind.  A nice bottle of Swiss beer for me with a top that goes plopp..

Probably shouldn't yet as I'm not long back from 14km with 6km tempo in the middle.  Oh well its Friday..

Good luck with the XC tomorrow Phil, I'm from just south of Northampton myself.  Not around much these days though. 

I admit to thinking about trying to use my mum's address FBT but decided against it. 

Thanks for the tips Westy, good pacing is something I still need to work on.  For the next couple of weeks I will try to get the various paces sorted out.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    New pic. My face when running.
    Phwoar!
  • Four Villages Half 21st Jan
    • Ramjet - P&D 70-85 - 1:23
    Wokingham Half 18th February 2018
    • Sorequads - P&L 12 week 60-80 - target sub 80
    • Phil - 50-70 mpw - Sub 72
    • Tom-50-70 mpw- loosely following P&L 12 week- Sub 75
    • Jooligan - FJ 70mpw PR & race every w/e A 1:25, B 1:26, C 1:27
    • Coops - P&D 50-70 mpw (incl hills and intervals for once) - 1:45
    Bath Half Marathon 4th March 2018
    • 1SteveMac - P&L 12 week - Mix of 2 plans (peaking at 50 ish miles) - Target Sub 84 mins.
    • Tom-50-70 mpw-loosely following P&L 12 week-Target-PB-73:07
    Reading Half Marathon 18th March 2018
    • AWC - P&D 55-70mpw - Target 1:29
    Manchester Marathon 8th April 2018
    • RunSpoonRun - TBA but plenty of miles - 2:45
    • Tom-50-70 mpw- Sub 2:45 (If I decide to do it!)
    London Marathon 22nd April 2018
    • Reg Wand - P&D 55-70 variant - Target 2:39
    • Joe Blogs - Sub 2:30
    • HA77 - sub 2:30
    • Ramjet - P&D 70-85 - 2:55
    • JohnOz - P&D 70-85 variant - 2:55
    • Jooligan - 70mpw & Race hard all year & hope for the best - A 2:59, B 3:05, C 3:14
    • Phil - 50-70mpw no plan - sub 2h30
    • Sorequads - freestyle 6 week plan - sub 2:50
    • AWC - P&D 55-70mpw - Target 3:10
    • 15West - P&D 55-70 - sub 2:50....subject to change.
    • Coops - P&D 50-70 mpw (incl hills and intervals for once) - 3:40 
    Newport Marathon 29th April 2018
    • Northender - P&D up to 55ish. - Target 3:20 (please)
  • Thanks for the welcome everyone. Beer o clock sounds good Tom. Off to the pub in a bit.

Ran 15 miles this morning which is about where my long runs have been the last 3 weeks. My long pre plan build up has turned into a drag, so I am going to do some low key racing the next fortnight starting with Ashford 666 trail run on Sunday.

I'll add my name to the list (hope this works):

Four Villages Half 21st Jan

• Ramjet - P&D 70-85 - 1:23

Wokingham Half 18th February 2018

• Sorequads - P&L 12 week 60-80 - target sub 80
    • Phil - 50-70 mpw - Sub 72
    • Tom-50-70 mpw- loosely following P&L 12 week- Sub 75
    • Jooligan - FJ 70mpw PR & race every w/e A 1:25, B 1:26, C 1:27

Bath Half Marathon 4th March 2018

• 1SteveMac - P&L 12 week - Mix of 2 plans (peaking at 50 ish miles) - Target Sub 84 mins.
    • Tom-50-70 mpw-loosely following P&L 12 week-Target-PB-73:07

Reading Half Marathon 18th March 2018

• AWC - P&D 55-70mpw - Target 1:29

Manchester Marathon 8th April 2018

• RunSpoonRun - TBA but plenty of miles - 2:45
    • Tom-50-70 mpw- Sub 2:45 (If I decide to do it!)

London Marathon 22nd April 2018

• Reg Wand - P&D 55-70 variant - Target 2:39
    • Joe Blogs - Sub 2:30
    • HA77 - sub 2:30
    • Ramjet - P&D 70-85 - 2:55
    • JohnOz - P&D 70-85 variant - 2:55
    • Jooligan - 70mpw & Race hard all year & hope for the best - A 2:59, B 3:05, C 3:14
    • Phil - 50-70mpw no plan - sub 2h30
    • Sorequads - freestyle 6 week plan - sub 2:50
    • AWC - P&D 55-70mpw - Target 3:10
    • 15West - P&D 55-70 - sub 2:50....subject to change.
    • Andy85 – P&D up to 55 variant – target 3:30

Newport Marathon 29th April 2018

• Northender - P&D up to 55ish. - Target 3:20 (please)
  • Welcome Andy and Hazel

I've been away for ages, no internet in the new house amongst other things. 

Stand out back reading - Joe, king of the sandbagging. Well done. Ouchie too, great work. Happy to hear you're back into things Tom. Jooligan I like your 'race every weekend' plan. 

I'm in for Wokingham and London and happily joining the not-sub-3 team with NE AWC and FBT.  

I've been too busy to do much since Abingdon. But I've joined a new running club that meets 100m from my house so as far as I'm concerned I'm winning at life.

Rum o'clock for me. Happy running this weekend all. 

• Hope that's a 100 metres not miles!!!! 

• Its a bit like Hotel California in here. ;) 

Welcome old and new, esp Hazel & Andy.  Good luck with the 666 Andy, I'm going to have to google that.

Enjoyed the blog Joe. 

Hope you are getting over the cold Spoons, wise decision to back off imho.

I'd love to join in with a guiness, rum and craft beer but I've the Wendover Woods 50 tomorrow.  Heat exhaustion shouldn't be a problem.  My target, to be able to walk round the our local xmas light switch on the next day

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Welcome back Coops. I noticed you've got a good length commute for a long run or MLR.

Welcome Hazelnut. 

Westy - that's not too bad for a running face, about equivalent to my resting gurn.

Phil - definitely worth buying the book to understand the principles of the program. Good luck with xc tom. It's looking cold but dry down here for my xc on Sunday.

Andy - good plan to mix it up with some racing.

I'm now wishing I had some Guinness in the house Tom.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    This new thread has got a nice buzz about it........... ;)

Welcome back Coops.

Good luck Macca, Andy, Jools and anyone else racing this weekend

• JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Great to see the new thread is attracting some new faces. Welcome Andy, Hazel - sounds like you both have solid running backgrounds to make P&D work for you. 

Good to see returning faces as well. coops - couldn't get closer to your new club, no excuses for missing any sessions. 
    15west and FBT - but confused by the turtle picture swapping but I'm sure there's an explanation! What have you both been up to?

Only 1 run this week  :(. Left quad felt tight going into the race last Sunday and has felt pretty sore all week. Could be a small tear and still feels tight sometimes just walking. Not too concerned but frustrated that I can't get out as the weather has been amazing. Should I rest until it feels 100% or should I do lots of foaming rolling, etc?
  • Catching up with the impressively fast moving thread whilst waiting at the airport for a weekend of debauchary. Welcome old timers (some of whom I recognise from my lurking days) and newcomers alike. I’m another who would definitely recommend reading the book, whether or not you follow the plan. More than that, following the majority of a plan, even if not to the letter, will give so much consistency that almost all will make good and sustainable improvements. 

8 x 2 minute hill reps yesterday morning. Then, although it feels like sacrilege, no running now for two or three days. P&L 12 week half plan begins on Monday (with a rest day!).

Best of luck to those XCing this weekend. 
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Welcome Andy and Hazelnut and welcome back JCG!

Not qualified to advise on your quad John but personally I find bone / joint pain much more worrying than muscle pain. Any twinges or tightness I get generally go away by themselves.

Good to see Tom putting us all to shame again!

15 steady miles averaging 7.35 for me this morning in filthy weather. Legs weren't bothered though. I may finally be getting out of the post-marathon hole I was in.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Managed 4 whole miles this morning.
    Daughter was 4th girl in a local cross country, and got very, very muddy.
    Beer and wine for me tonight. Set for some cold weather this week, especially Tuesday onwards..but hopefully should be dry. 
    Hi JohnOz...seems to be service as normal in the ashes. I've still been running most days, just not been on here so much. Did a few local half marathons, all good, but no PBs.
    I should really read back on the autumn marathon thread to see how all have been getting on...

I really need to change my avatar.
  • Quick race report on the cross country today.
    Luckily all the bad weather had blown over by the start, but still cold and breezy. I started off and settled quickly into 3rd or 4th but before long was on the shoulder of the leader. I was feeling great and felt he was holding me up so after a mile I pushed on and he didn't stay on my shoulder.  I ran the other 5.87 miles alone and finished 1st in a very long 10km which turned out to be 6.87. I was very pleased with averaging 5.33 pace on a very undulating grassy course.

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Nice win Phil! Hopefully some beer/wine/spirit to celebrate. 

Managed 13 miles this morning with a bit of a cold. Feels like it’s passing thankfully as I have the Victory 5mi in Pompey next weekend. 

Wine oclock for me - Shiraz :)
  • Thanks AWC,  chip shop fish and chips, splash of rouge and a large magnum ice cream. The food of champions! 
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Well done Phil. Very impressive. That's so speedy for cross country, I couldn't manage that on a downhill flat.
    Weather here is total shit. Wish the dog would walk himself.