Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Some good snow running going on, I love the crunchy sound of snow underfoot. Doesn’t seem to be slowing some of you lot down, good extra resistance training. Nice MP miles hazel and macca, impressively pace Ramjet. 

SQ - that cut sounds sickening just reading about it. Hope it’s a speedy recovery. How long do you think you’ll be out?

Jools -planking with Les Dennis!? You’ve got to tell the story about how you ended up doing that!

Spoons - that’s mental session to get through, well done.

Woke up this morning feeling completely wiped out. Think I overdid it this weekend and Also going ice skating with my youngest yesterday didn’t help with recovery. No energy today and whole body feeling tired.left work a time lunchtime and went straight to bed until dinner time. Feeling better now, I suspect I didn’t refuel properly after my 24 miler, hope to get an easy run in tomorrow. 

• Options
    Cross post with SQ - don't know how I managed that.

Your knee sounds nasty - ouch..!  I hope it recovers quickly but I guess no running at least until the stiches are out.
  • Options
    SQ - ah no, that's a disaster! Really hope it's nothing too serious, and you're back on your feet sooner rather than later.

Some very impressive training going on over the last few days, most of the thread defying the wintery conditions apart from John still nailing it in the heat - not surprised you're wiped out today! Make sure you get some proper recovery in.

We got lucky in the end and our 20 mile race went ahead. I ran the course on Saturday morning with the race director on a bike as we put up the mile markers, and it was slightly slippy but starting to melt. Knowing there was quite a bit of rain forecast and temperatures warming, we made the call to go ahead, and thankfully it was the right one.

Race ran really smoothly, and we always get some great feedback. We send runners off in pace groups so they can practice marathon pace and have company while they do it. Had nearly 100 volunteers out for a race with 350 runners! I'm stepping up to race director next year, would be great to see some of the thread come along for a good bit of marathon training if anyone fancies it!

Went straight from race to 3.5 hours on the turbo before the evenings post-event social. Slightly hungover today. 
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Great long runs going on, well done all!!
    Spoons - 20m on a treadmill - impressive!!
    John - Nice course PB!! Bodes well for the marathon.

So Bath half was cancelled on Friday afternoon, I'm gutted, but it was the right decision, the roads by me were in a bad state on Thursday, it took me 45 minutes to get less than 5 miles home. It's a shame I can't see what the result of 12 weeks HM training would have been, but the training is done, so I can always run another race. Might do Parkrun this weekend if the weather is OK.

Did a 10k with the GF on Saturday as she was meant to do 8 miles as part of her HM training, so we ran together at her pace to get some miles done in the snow. Was going to do more miles on Sunday, but woke up and really couldn't be bothered, so had a rest day and only 25 miles for the week. Going to start ultra training earlier than planned after this rest week.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Great effort on the MP miles, Hazel

John impossible to say how long I'll be out. Don't think any major damage, but obviously extending the knee whilst running will pull the stitches. Stitches due to be removed a week today. Annoying to say the least. Hope you feel better soon - I get that after massive weeks.

Superb work, Joe. Great decision to make the call late on. I like the different pace groups going together as well - sounds a cracking event. I do love races put on by clubs. 

Good attitude Steve. Reading half a goer? Looks a cracking event.
  • Options
    Sounds like you nailed the MP session Hazel, well done. Great confidence booster and a bonus mile on top too.

SQ - sorry to hear about the fall.  I’m ok with blood (other people’s) but the sight of white stuff makes me nauseous.  Wishing a speedy recovery.

John - a cracking weeks training/racing, no harm in giving your body what it needs, rest & food.

Joe - glad the race went well.  Sounds like the whole club is behind it, as SQ says, there’s something about events put on by clubs. I try to Marshall at my clubs races, the work behind the scenes is difficult to imagine.

Steve - I’d be tempted to find another half in the next week or two. The trainings never wasted but it would be a shame not to see it’s results in a race.

Desperate to get out later in the mild with no ice or slush to look out for.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Ouch SQ - that sounds awful. Hope you're able to recover quickly.
    Well done on your MP run Hazel.
    15mi for me today.
  • Options

Pleased to hear you managed to get out for a long one despite the conditions Tom

Good long runs AWC, NE, SQ, Hazel and Ramjet

Oh no SQ, hopefully the knee heals quickly! Maybe stick to just the running in future

Great weekend of training and assisting with the race Joe

You must have looked a right state doing that session on the treadmill Spoons, bet you got some looks

30 mins easy earlier, managed to avoid any rain which was good

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hazel: Nice done on the LR w MP. My skis are alpine so lugging them & the boots back uphill was too arduous to feel like a 2nd go.
    John: Day off should do you a power of good. Plank-off: Went to see Miles Jupp & friends at a benefit for the local theatre. 2nd Half Les Dennis comes on, tells a few anecdotes then they have an interview, Parky style. They've been working together for Sport Relief training for Tough Guy (the original army style assault course/obstacle race) & turns out Les is a phenomenal planker. Manages over 2 minutes before any training & 4.5 mins after 8 weeks of general fitness work. The only 2 times he's ever done it. Miles lays down a challenge to the audience. Some clubmates are in & they egg me on so I took it on.
    10M for me. Still plenty of snow up here had to turn back early on my planned run as the path became a slushy/icy slippery mess then repeat the road section to get the mileage up. It's also hammering down too & still only 3 degrees so deeply unpleasant all round.

• Options
    That's crap sq.  Hopefully no more than a week or two
    Steve...  Newport half has been re-arranged for 18th... and is taking entries.  Same day as Forest of Dean half, if you fancy a nice trail half with a bit more undulation.
    I'm posting nothing more until I find out the answer...  Jooligan or Sir Les? ;) .
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Steve: Our local trail HM can be run in road shoes & was my PB course until Wokingham. It's not flat but it's mostly old railway lines so nothing too steep. Lovely course.
    Entries close at 8pm tomorrow 
    http://www.forestofdean-halfmarathon.co.uk/spring_trails/index.php
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    That's crap SQ! Hope you recover quickly.

Great MP run Hazel.

I'm not surprised you are tired John after that mileage. Hopefully all that sleep will help.

Nice MLR Westy.

Good er. planking Jooligan.

8 miles recovery for me. My biggest week begins, not with a bang but with a whisper.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Morning all.

Super MP run Hazel!

Ouch! That sounds nasty SQ. Hopefully the healing process is quick and you can get back to it in a week or so.

Joe-Glad you got the race on and it all went well. Big relief no doubt.

Thanks for the Newport HM heads up NE. I've just entered.

Hope the big week goes well Ramjet.

I'm also in my biggest mileage week with 80 the target. Just an easy 8 yesterday but was up early and out at 4:10 for a training HM. Nice conditions with most of the snow gone now and hardly any wind. Good workout at reasonable effort and clocked 1:21:33 which was a decent way to start the day.

• Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    +1 for the FoD Half. Brilliant race and, at most, two mins of a road PB course. So still a great opportunity to run a good time. As importantly, a beautiful setting. The nice underfoot conditions make for fast running, but definitely require less recovery than hammering it on the roads. Sales pitch over!

Good MLR, Westy. And very poetic, Ramjet. Hope the big week also goes well, Tom. Solid training half! Agreed the weather looked ideal this morn, pangs of jealousy. 

Knee absolutely agony when moving having been stationary for more than a minute or two. Definitely revising my return to running after a couple of days - can't see it happening before stitches are out next week. But thank you for the well wishes. Still, looking at the positives: a week to recharge batteries and get some more sleep will do no harm in the long run. London was never the A target so what will be will be. I will live my running through you!
  • Options

Sure the snow will clear quickly Jools, all gone down here. Nice 10 miler

Hope the big week goes well Ramjet

Many people would be happy with that time for a half in a race Tom, great going

You never know the forced rest may be a blessing in disguise SQ

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning.
    So, Jooligan...who won?
    SQ - stay positive. Shit happens.
    Tom - nice HM run.
    8ish mi today.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    SQ - ahh that sounds painful! Hopefully those stiches sort themselves out quickly and you are back at it soon. Enjoy your recovery week!

Tom - nice HM to start the big week

Jools - you've left us hanging for the result of the plank off???!!!

Highest mileage week for me of 70mi this week which should be fun and then I'll wind it down a bit next week before Reading Half.

5mi recovery last night - last week's snow week has really upset my rythym as I struggled again on a 5mi recovery last night. It was pouring down, cold and a bit windy so not nice conditions but I just wanted to be home as soon as I stepped out the door. Hopefully normal routine will return this week and I'll feel a bit better, but feeling a bit fed up with training at the minute for the first time in a while.

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That's not good SQ but at least you are adopting a good philosophical attitude to it. Proper rest & recovery is certainly something I ought to take - could be a blessing in disguise. Clubmate had a similar thing: fell over during January's night race, stitches in the knee, was told no running for 6 weeks but a month later she was back winning the February race having not run for about 10 days I think.
    I know you often run that pace Tom but it sounds so much quicker when you say 81 mins for a HM. Cracking run.
    Btw I won B)
  • Options
    MaccatheknaccaMaccatheknacca ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I’m surprised people felt they had to ask Jools :wink:
  • Options
    I never had to ask Jools the question - no brainer.....Ladbrooks had 10-1 on it!
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ah I understand with the skis Jools.  :D to the plank-off.  Nice 10 miles in unpleasant conditions indeed.

Have a good big weeks Ramjet, Tom and AWC - did mine last week although not entirely as prescribed as I had to switch things around a bit due to the conditions.    

I would also have a look for an alternative to Bath Steve.  

Well done to you and your club for the race on Sunday Joe and it is nice you got some good feedback.

Short Mtb-plod for me yesterday - grr I can run quicker up the hilly bits.  Got filthy thanks to the slush and mud.  Am supposed to be doing an intervalls session today but will do that tomorrow as I want to go out with my group this evening (so GA instead).  I am going skiing at the weekend so I need to juggle a few runs around anyway. 
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Thanks all - I have a HM booked as a training run in 4 weeks, which is the GF's target half, so I could race that one. Not looking to travel to far, so might go with that option. But I'll look at the other options too! Reading is now closed!

8 miles with 2 at LT this morning (6:16/6:39), so slower than last week, but around the right area as an average.
  • Options

If needed take a rest day AWC, might just need a day to recharge the batteries

No problem in moving things around Hazel, the schedule can always be rearranged depending on needs

Nice LT Macca to sharpen the legs up

Track session tonight of 4 x 800 (75), lap jog, 4 x 400 (60). Guts went during the 2nd 400m and then had a big toilet break between reps 2/3 but paces were:

2:30/2:31/2:33/2:37

1:12/1:21/1:11/1:12

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Fantastic training HM Tom!

Hope the knee pain subsides SQ.

It's been a hard winter AWC - half the battle is just getting out there sometimes.

Nice LT pace Steve

Super speedy as ever Scott - well done.

6 and 4 mile double for me today. Legs feeling quite good. So nice to be back to normal winter weather.
  • Options
    Well done on those reps scott.  Congrats on beating a 64yr old man in a plank-off Jools.   And good luck to all of you on your biggest week.

I'm supposed to be on a big week too, in my improvised 15-week plan. But not a good start.  I braved the heavy rain after10pm last night for a short recovery... but this evening I wasted too much time following PNE's game (happy ending), got my kit on as soon as it finished... but an extreme rarity, I couldn't face going out.  I do feel tired though, so hopefully in bed soon and get to double figures tomorrow.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Well I’m certainly having a rest day - woke up with a horrible sore throat banging headache so that explains things. Went for a run last night - got a couple of miles in and just stopped and had to walk home so just need to rest a few days and get whatever this is out of my system. 
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Oh dear AWC - get well soon. Family members going down with something similar here too.
    Nice reps Scott.
    Supposed to have the 7mi LT run today, problem is I really can't be arsed.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    AWC - Rest up and get well soon.
    Scott - Nice reps, very consistent.
    Tom - An 81 min HM before most people are awake....you machine!!

Easy 6 mile recovery today, pace nice and easy.