P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    SQ - please don't mistake me for AWC.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    SQ - please don't mistake me for AWC.

Edit...must stop repeating myself...
  • Hohohoho AWC, can you imagine coming across a pregnant Bananaman around 40 miles in? My costume is quite stretchy, I'm tempted, just to see the reactions of tired runners. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    AWC: sheltering behind the 1:30 pace group for the 1st 10M sounds like a good plan, so long as it doesn't cause you to chop your stride, then hit the final 5K hard with the tailwind to help on the run in. Best of luck.
    Knee seems a bit better thanks to the foam-rolling. Think my legs were battered from the Yasso 800 session Wed then the 20M race Sat resulting in ridiculously stiff quads - that was the issue last year.
    Survived a double session today. Not my usual commute as I have to stay late at work tonight so 13.3K progressive pyramid on the TM peaking with a K at MP then dropping the speed every 400m to complete the hour before work then out with the kids at lunch. 20 minutes on the track: wu, 100m/200m/300m/400m hard then easy at each distance. I got through 2 sets & 1st 2 efforts of the 3rd so 5K in 21:30 with cd.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Sorry Westy. I had written something for you - but looks like I deleted it and merged with my comment for AWC. Can’t remember what I was now - shows how thrilling my writing must be. 

Hope the quads are better soon Jooligan. I empathise. 
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Glad you didn't need a day off Jooligan. Nice double today.

Woke up with a bit of man flu as well as tired legs but was too stubborn to ditch or shorten my 15 miler. Instead I just did the whole thing at easy effort. Not fun but got it done. 15 @ 8:30. Once I had recovered a bit I felt a lot better for the run.
  • Well I had a case of the cnba last night so diidn't do the session! Naughty

Pleased to hear the rolling worked Jools

Seems like the run was a cure for the man flu Ramjet!

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Morning all.

Have had a difficult week with a very heavy cold, a sore foot and 3 parents evenings to deal with so apologies for not reading or posting. Haven't done anything in the way of quality-just doing what I could manage/feel like all at an easy pace. 
    Feeling a bit better today but there is no way I will be running Newport HM on Sunday particularly given the weather forecast (that wind chill looks nasty!).

Hope you are all going well. Will have a read back to catch up later.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Sorry to hear of the tough week and sore foot Tom. Hope nothing serious.

Well toughed out, Ramjet. Those kind of runs are the making of solid marathon campaigns.

5M recovery on grass this morning at 8:40s. Knee still bleeding a bit, so wearing an old school style bandage.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning.
    Another short easy run for me today. Got Wilmslow half on sunday, which with 20mph winds forecast is probably not going to be very fast. May just try and follow the 1:25 pace group round and see how it goes. Going to wear lots of layers, gloves and hat, northern Jessie. I expect race to go ahead as not much snow forecast, roads could be icy though.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Is there an official 1:25 pacer, Westy? Very impressive if so. Is there one for 1:20 etc as well? Could be a race to do in the future if so.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Reading has pacers from 1:20 to 2:30 in 5 minute increments. There are no plans to cancel the race.

I think I will shelter behind the 1:20 pacer, looks like we'll be starting off into the wind and finishing into a crosswind, I guess this is better than finishing in the headwind.

Wondering about a base layer under the vest, possibly a hat, no gloves as I know they'll end up coming off once we get out of that headwind.

GWS to those with colds. 
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Yes, there is a 1:20 pacer- which I could try and keep up with, and would have if weather was better. Pacers are provided by Wilmslow running club.  It's a good race, well organised and popular. It is fairly flat apart from a few bumps towards the end, ran mostly on country lanes, so you get a nice whiff of manure. Last year a couple of loose horses bolted past and knocked a girl over in front of me and she cut her head and stuff...and....I stopped to help her! Didn't get on tv though.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    ...must admit I am a little tempted to bin Wilmslow's race and do a long run today instead....
    Met office starting to issue various weather warnings now.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Might well consider Reading or Wilmslow in the future.

Scary Westy with wild horses on course. You should definitely have received an award. 

Will be intrigued to see if FoD Half gets cancelled. I hope not, but I might go even slower than originally planned. A good excuse to wear more clothing.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Ashby 20 cancelled.
    Lightweights.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    maybe I could turn Wilmslow into a 20mi w/14@MP....
  • Sorry to hear the big freeze is returning. I've just re-applied some sun cream, but it's a pretty perfect 25 degrees, I've pulled my chair outside and working away in the sun. 

Good luck to all those racing this weekend, if the races are still on. Reg - I think even with your severely disrupted build up you'll be good for a sub 1:20, just stick with that pace group.

Been pretty busy here so not been posting, apologies, but I've done a couple of sea swims, bike sessions and a nice 13.1 miles this morning around the headland - it really is beautiful here. The race is tomorrow and then I'm off to Rio for a brief 48 hour holiday; thought I'd take advantage of being over this side of the world. 
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Sounds total shit Joe.
    Enjoy Rio...
  • It took me a while to work out that track session Jools but it looks like fun (and also hard work!)

Very naughty for the CNBA Scott.  Go and do a double session as punishment.. :p

Bad luck on the tough week Tom.  

I hope the run did kill off the man flu Ramjet.

Good luck to the racers at the weekend (if the races take place that is).     

Enjoy your short holiday Joe.  

10 miles for me this morning, might as well start getting used to getting out after some breakfast as my marathon starts at 8:30.  I also wanted to have a run today but also a good 24 hour rest before my race tomorrow.  Course PB is 01:08:30 for the 15km but that was off of a taper and not during a 90km week.  Conditions don't look too bad - less wind than forecasted at the beginning of the week, cool and if I am quick enough I won't get rained on.. 
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    A weekend in Rio like you do JB! Have fun.

Westy I am doing Wilmslow as 20 with 14 @ MP. 5 mile warm up. 13 with 10 @ MP then the last three a bit faster if I am feeling it. 2 mile cool down.

Enjoy your race Hazel.

6 and 4 mile double today. Still got the cold but legs felt fine. Looking forward to a lazy evening.
  • *delurk* I'm hoping to do Wilmslow if the weather doesn't mess with travel. It was a pretty wet and windy south westerly last year which made the first 10k hard work ( I missed the free running horses thankfully). The easterly this year will make 8-13 a tough proposition. Major props to the marshalls given the weather forecast.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Hello running people, I'm Steve's daughter. Hehehe. Wow I understand why he is so obsessed with this, its so exciting typing random things. Woah, I just noticed how funny his profile picture is, I mean, can we all just take a moment to admire this photo. Really zoom in on it, its an experience you will never forget.

• Sounds a tough week Tom.  I went to pick up my number today. The race is still on but I reckon it will be called off.  Now an amber warning of snow and ice.  Pretty darned unlucky for the hospice to have to cope with all the organisation / reorganisation 2 weeks ago, and for this bad weather to hit the new date.

If it's not off, the weather will be utterly brutal. 20mph winds at freezing point.  Not sure I'll do bare legs - even though I never thought I'd run a race not in shorts. Will try to do a long MP run if that race is off.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Westy’s daughter welcome to the thread  :D:D:D:D:D
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Insanely bad luck NE. FoD HM are talking of a possible cancellation too. Re-assessment of forecast tomorrow morning. I don't reckon it'll be that bad but I guess everyone's a bit more jittery after the last lot. Fingers crossed for Wilmslow too.
    10M of trails today with a horribly muddy mile & plenty of large puddles/slippery bits all over. Never known it so wet round here.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning.
    I'm selfishly hoping Wilmslow is off so I can stay in my nice warm bed instead of trying to run around in a sub zero gale force wind. A lot of people will be gutted though, and it's a shame for the organisers. Will be unpleasant enough for the runners, imagine what will be like for those poor volunteers!
    Anyway, I think there will be quite a lot of snow about, just depends where it falls, but could make travelling hard for some.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Good luck to all those racing this weekend (if the races go ahead). Hope the weather dosen't cause too many issues. Stay safe and wrap up warm!