P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    A rather sensible 6:30 am run for me. 12 miles averaging just under 8 min / mile that’s just under the magic minute per furlong mark.

Quite glad I am running to work rather than driving tomorrow- it’s gonna be icy!
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    I feel like I'm living in a parallel and opposite universe to everyone else on here, literally and metaphorically down under...

Weather wise, it's currently 20-25C at 5am and crazy humidity in Sydney, apparently may well be the hottest Nov on record.

As for peeing stories, I'm the opposite to SQ and trying to get my son to not sit down and instead stand up and aim for the targets, I suspect he prefers the easy option of not worrying where it all goes.

Finally with the introduction of furlongs I don't even know how to convert from km but in any case I'm still waiting for my quad strain to disappear, so only 50k in the last 2 weeks.

Scary that some of you are about to start a marathon program! Still seems a long way off. 
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Blimey John that is incredibly hot! Really unplesant conditions for running-much prefer the cold weather despite having to contend with a few icy patches. Thanks for not mentioning the cricket by the way!

Some interesting toileting stories.........

7 slow and, at times, slippery miles done and dusted. Take care out there!
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Not up to some standards on here but was up at 5.30 this morning for my weekly RunCamp - Strength, flexibility, strides and intervals. Certainly no problem staying warm with all that going on
  • 8M easy along the canal this morning just after 7am, which is plenty early enough if you ask me. Beautiful morning. Forgot my watch so had to run on feel. Very discombobulating. I've run the route several times so kept expecting my wrist to beep at me at the mile markers. No HR alert either so had to rely on ease of breathing rate. Think I gauged it about right judging by my time.
  • Obviously a more sedate running day. I didn't get a run in until 10pm last night so just before some of you got up, having worked until 9pm and cycled home in the freezing cold, I recorded my lowest ever average HR run, possibly because I was half asleep. It was only a short one though. Could be even later tonight, unless I can get out at lunch.
  • Ramjet said:
    A rather sensible 6:30 am run for me. 12 miles averaging just under 8 min / mile that’s just under the magic minute per furlong mark.!
    Rammers, 6:30 is not sensible - lets be clear!
    however good to see the nice adoption of furlongs, well done! sub 1 minute furlongs!
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    5 furlongs per km John, quite easy really!

Thanks FBT. My next goal is the 2 second chain but I'm not sure that my marathon training is helping.

Gorgeous morning as others have said. 6 miles run into work. Gotta get a standing desk thingy, my hamstrings don't like sitting after a run.
  • a rather nippy 50 furlongs for me this lunchtime at 50sec furlongs
  • Loo chat – surprising comeback! Solid tactics, Joe, and hope you enjoy the CTS – got to be the aim. Haha, JohnOz – we need our kids to swap manoeuvres! Hope the quad strain clears up soon.

Big week, Andy – well done.

Moonlit run in the forest would have been glorious, Jooligan. Hope the glute work is going well.

Things seems to be going well on the runcamp, AWC – hopefully have you in great nick for marathon training proper.

Reg – can’t imagine running that late at night. Impressed you got out.

Ramjet – I have a very basic standing desk in my office. More of a conveniently located shelf really, but does the trick. Find it very useful indeed. To the point where if I go to an all day conference or similar, sitting down all day, I find it horrendous.

5M recovery at 8:20s this morning. Very frosty but a beautifully starry sky. When does an 18 week for London start?

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Great furlong pace FBT! But did you do the 16 furlong warm up ordained by the P&D scroll?

Thanks SQ. My colleagues have adjustable ones so you can alternate between standing and sitting. Not cheap but no doubt worth it.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    No running for me today, work got in the way.
    Another day off tomorrow!

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    I’ll keep this thread alive today!

Another pleasant 48 furlongs home.

SQ - 18 week plan for London conveniently starts on the 18th - or 19th ignoring the rest day!
  • Haha - love how the plans start with a rest day. There was a brilliant Tony’s Trials mentioning that a while ago. 
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for reminding me about the cricket Tom. Not sure why I haven't mentioned it already, maybe I'm scared what's going to happen in the next test.

Jools - great work on the forest moonlit run.

Ramjet, FBT - You might as well have told me your distances in london bus lengths. I'm not going to bother trying.

15 miles at lunch with a few strides today. Snowed a bit and didn't wear gloves which meant I struggled for a couple of minutes trying to open my locker with ice block hands.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Glad to hear you're making the most of the opportunities afforded by your work HA.
    Solid horsing about Ramjet & FBT.
    Moonlit forest runs are my favourite - I never use a headtorch anyway but can't beat a full moon & nice wide trails.
    Another 3 at lunch with the kids including climbing to the top of the local hill brings an end to a another solid month of running. Last day off was October 4th. November's mileage stands at 284 which is the highest since Feb. I'd have to do 370 in December to finish with a higher annual total though. Unlikely as that would be my highest ever mileage.
    Reminder to anyone interested Snowdonia entries open at 7am tomorrow & will most likely sell out by mid-morning. Hopefully I'll remember in time!
    Any Berlin news Spoons?
  • How big is your house FBT if moving took you 4 days?

I must start catching up more regularly as it takes ages to read back otherwise

Take care of the hammy Reg and the calf Millsy, not a bad time of the year to have some down time anyway

The ankle seems to be improving so headed out for a 15 min tester this evening, few twinges but not too bad. Seems promising!

• runspoonrunrunspoonrun ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Loving the migration to furlongs. Sadly I just looked and there isn’t a ConnectIQ app for furlongs on your Garmin :(  Recovery 60 fur for me today, pleasingly my HR seems to be settling back to normal.

I look forward to a MT training talk on buckets soon then HA!

Have a good one at the “half” Joe. 

Good luck getting a Snowdonia place Jooligan. I just got my ballot rejection from Berlin so it’s back to Frankfurt for me. Glad in a way as Berlin is early next year so I can enjoy a bigger gap between plans now. I can also do the Worcester 10K which clashed with Berlin. Not even started spring marathon training and already planning out autumn... :D

• Got my Christmas pressie in the post today. A pair of barely used Nike 4% vaporfly of ebay. Very very minimal and light but with a massive sole. I might try them at a park run on Saturday before giving them to santa.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Morning all.

Isn't furlongs a horse racing thing?

Bad luck on the Berlin balot Spoons-but its nothing in comparison to the Worcester 10k!  ;)

Good luck with the extended HM Joe.

Just back from 9 miles with a few strides. Very cold but not so slippy underfoot today. 
  • Commiserations on Berlin spoons - I have been lucky and got a place.  Got a good excuse now not to do Medoc with 12 others in my running group - somebody mentioned 32 degrees heat and running and wine would not be a good combo for me.  There are also some notorious drinkers going and I'm not convinced I would make it to the starting line even..  

Now just need to sort out if I want to go to Vienna or Zurich on 22.4 for my spring mara and get signed up.  Would prefer the former as I have already done the latter but need to look at the costs first.

Didn't do too many "interesting" runs this week so far.    Yesterday evening in the dark and on the way home in horizontal snow fall.  Enjoyed that.  Errmm: 8.7 miles in 1:17:54 @ 8:57 m/m.  That sound about right? So for me 14 km @ 5:33 km/m :D
  • Really annoyed with the Snowdonia entry system. In work & logged on by 7am to get an entry but the system was crashing then after 15 minutes I got a place in the queue which estimated I'd be able to enter at 8:05 but my place would only be saved til 8:25 so headed out for a run which I cut slightly short to ensure I would be back in plenty of time. When I'd filled my details in, still before the cut off, & submitted the form I was told entries had sold out!
  • Fat Boy TrimFat Boy Trim ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    The furlong (meaning furrow length) was the distance a team of oxen could plough without resting.
    The modern distance of furlong is the unit of length a marathon runner can sprint at full pace.

Scott....  It was too big...
    Rammers, you know I don't do warm ups and all that malarky...

I might try a 80 furlong run at lunchime which will be the furthest i have run since April!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Surely that's enough furlong talk.

Nice to see positive signs Scott. Hard luck to those not getting into their preferred races. 

HA - Surely the reason you haven't mentioned the cricket is because we had the good grace to let the "proper" rugby go without mention.

Working until 10:30 last night so I decided to run to work this morning and despite leaving the house at 8:30, I started in the opposite direction to make it a bit longer. Ended up doing 15.5 miles at 7:0x pace but looking at my HR afterwards I was working pretty hard for it.

• No idea what a furlong is - way before my time.

Spoons - hard luck re; Berlin, Frankfurt is a more than good enough consolation though. 

Likewise Jooligan - that's very annoying. I assume that was the only race you were planing on doing in 2018 knowing you, so does that now leave you raceless?

Nice work Reg, joining HA in the avoiding work at all costs club.

Off to Dorset tonight for the CTS race tomorrow morning. My club mate won the half last year and he's racing again; he's probably slightly faster than I am and not recovering from a marathon either. Can't remember the last time I ran up a hill so that 3,600ft will be fun (loading up the sandbags...)
  • Sorry Reg :(...
    Just heading out for a 10 mile run!
    I would call 15.5miles 16 miles (always round up)
  • Have fun JB.
    Obviously I've got a couple of other big races lined up: London, June's TriX & September's HalfX. Really wanted another crack at Snowdonia though. Fingers crossed for 2019. Proper build-up & not do a brutal Half IronMan 4-5 wks out. Probably do Abingdon in the Autumn now.
    Glad you can see the positives Spoons: home 10K is a lot cheaper.
  • RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Bad luck Jooligan. I also tried to enter but as I didn't enter the queue until about 9:15 I had little chance. Will have to rethink my autumn plans.

I could keep the furlong talk going for a long time but for the sake of Reg... I did a 5 miler at lunch. A lovely almost sweat-free recovery run. Legs feeling bouncy which hopefully bodes well for XC tomorrow.

Good luck with your race BR
  • 5mile recovery for me today in the slushy snow horrible kept getting wet feet.

Entered some other races today
    Kielder 10m in January be a training run give me chance to recce some of the marathon route, hopeful wont be snowing.
    Sunderland half - ran it with my partner last year in 2.40 the pictures me running along fresh as a daisy with her struggling we got round though.  This year be racing it on own see if can PB the course.
    Yorkshire Marathon - my A race for the year want to beat last years time 3.38 and more to the point not die and have to run/walk the last 4 miles.  Managed to get cheap travelodge near the start/finish with late checkout so no queuing for the portaloos for me.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Hello. 9mi this morning. Going to attempt a LT run tomorrow, 22min at pace. Supposed to warm up a bit from tomorrow.