Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Yes it was HA, although I don't think, given his nationality, we could trust him to run it fairly anyway.

Good luck to the Manchester three. I look forward in particular to seeing what all that mileage does for you Spoons.

I'm just ticking along arounf 30 mpw, bit of a calf strain but nothing serious.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Best of luck to all those racing at the weekend. Looks like Manchester will be interesting around the 2:45 mark

spring marathon season has come about very quickly again. I’ve been out twice this week so hopefully working slowly back to fitness in time for London.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

I drop back in for the first time in ages and the first post I see is Reg abusing me.

I'm pretty sure I've got the FLM spreadsheet sitting around somewhere but I won't have time at the moment to run it. I'll see if I can dig it up and I'll attach it on here if anyone is keen to do it for London.

Saw that session from SQ on the track. Impressive and crazy in equal measure.

Looking forward to seeing how the 4 get on this weekend.

Getting back into training the last few weeks. Too little to late though I feel. Doing the 12 mile commute both ways today. No real problems anymore but feeling like the engine isn't quite firing properly. Might just be in my head now. I'll prob start at around 6:30s, look to build the pace and see where it gets me. Expecting 2:45 - 2:50.  

• Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    He’s back!! Good to see you mate and hear that the niggles are behind you. Will be interesting to see how you do with the pressure off, you’ll probably surprise yourself. 

Good luck to the Manchester 3 and the Paris 1. Weather looks like it will be perfect so just need to execute the plan. 

Tripped over a rock in the dark on my recovery this morning, landing heavily on my right arm and ended up on my back! Few scratches but elbow feels sore and stiff, hopefully no permanent damage...
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    John - Careful out there, no injuries at this point!
    Ramjet - It's not a very flat route, but yes I'll be giving it a good go to see if I can beat my PB.
    Macca / Tom / NE / Spoons - Good luck this weekend.

Rest day today, 6 miles easy tomorrow.
  • Options

Yes Tom I’ll be in my silly glasses come rain or shine! Talking of which, bit of drizzle forecast now but the light winds remain, which is the main thing! Will keep an eye out for you too NE.

Good luck for the HM Steve, and for Paris Macca.

Good to hear from you HA, glad you are getting back in to things.

Hope no damage was done John!

As Scott suggested, I didn’t really enjoy my rest day, but did at least get out for a little very gentle cycling while exploring the floods with my nephew. Headed up to Manchester this morning and didn’t get stuck in a traffic jam on the M6, which I think is a first. Now safely ensconced at my hotel, which is two minutes from the start line - perfect!

Just went out for a leg stretcher around Salford. A bit breezy but legs felt good. Just wish I could fast-forward to Sunday morning now! I see in Athletics Weekly that the sub-2:10 bonus money has attracted Shadrack Tanui, brother of Emmanuel Mutai, to Manchester. Bet that’s annoyed a few British runners who were hoping for the win!

• Options
    Good luck for this weekend Steve, Macca, NE, Spoons and Tom. 

Ouch John!

Nice to see you HA.

4 and a bit miles recovery for me this afternoon with a few strides, legs a bit sluggish pre strides but woke up nicely.  Supposed to be doing a tune up race tomorrow according to the plan, had a nose around but didn't find one a sensible distance away.  Don't fancy a solo blast so I will try a progressive 8-10km starting at MP and working up to faster than 10km if I can. 
  • Options
    dctdct ✭✭✭
    Yeah, all the best to Sunday's racers. I've lurked throughout this campaign – often with bemusement – at the ridiculously high mileage, early starts and late night runs from you lot. Enjoy it
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Good luck to those racing on Sunday. Tom/Spoons - you've both trained so hard, remember that when the going gets tough (if it does?!). Macca - enjoy Paris. A great marathon, did it a few years ago. I wouldn't get too wound up about times and PBs, but enjoy the actual event. Allez. NE - enjoy the day, keep it easy!
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Here's the FML spreadsheet if anyone want to run it. 

Just looking at some times from last year - Spoon - 2:57, sheez

Got the 2x 12 mile commute done today. Reasonable pace too considering my current fitness. First time in a couple of months I've felt good running, which is good, even if it's come a bit late. 

• Options
    Thanks for the clue Tom, but I'll find it easier to identify you by your running number.

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Ouch John! Be careful!

Spoons - according to the website you have to have a UK passport to be eligible for the main prizes and the time prizes. If he goes out at 2:10 pace he will have a lonely marathon!

That sounds like a tough session tomorrow Hazel. Have fun!

Glad you enjoyed your 2 x 12 commute HA! That's a pretty big day. Still time to get a bit of fitness back before London.

Just 6 easy miles for me. Tapering makes for boring running updates!
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Man weather looks perfect for Manchester tomorrow - should have done my local one, especially now as I think I'll be going down to London on my lonesomeownsome.
    17mi this morning if I can.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Good luck Manchester runners! Have a great day guys and best of luck

I finished 4th at Ecos parkrun this morning in 19:13. That’s my highest parkrun finish and a 25s PB. It’s also a 2min 30s course PB. Feeling pretty happy now  :)
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    So the big day is almost here for spoons, tom, NE and macca. Best of luck, you’ve all been smashing training and races and the weather looks like it will be a perfect day for it. Looking forward to the reports, I suspect they will be pretty special. 

Elbow felt fine this morning although shoulder sore, feels like when you’ve  had a flu jab and it is heavy. Massive black big toe though. 

10k tune up today, 2 laps at Olympic park on an undulating, tarmac/gravel loop. Humidity was crazy and already soaked after a quick warm up. Shot off at the start at 5:35 pace before settling in at 6:10s. A few small groups to work with made a nice change but legs felt heavy on the second lap. Managed a sprint at the end for 38:18, almost a 30s course PB. Very happy with that particularly as the weather was a stinker. I had to wring my vest out and it would easily have filled a cup :s. Feet are getting worse for wear so need to look after them carefully. Final LR tomorrow then will really taper down. 

I’ve read some who say there is a small hill in the first couple of miles from the red start. Is it that significant?
  • Options
    My last post was a bit erroneous!  Anyway, with all the piddling about with water, gels etc, I'm contemplating wearing my lightweight ultra vest for my main target marathon in 3 weeks....  in which case I should trial it tomorrow.  Is it a stupid idea for someone who needs to save every second?

The only people whom I've seen wearing these things in a marathon don't seem to be really 'racing' them.  I'd be worried about it bringing unwanted heat retention (even though it is really thin... Salomon Sense, I think it's called) ... and also extra weight.  But I've got to solve the nutrition transport somehow - I can't get on with running belts, and the only other possibility is stuffing my tiny back pocket (or buying cargo shorts) and also carrying some in hand.  

I do wonder if part of the reason for my many fades is down to hydration/food.  Re-reading P&D's chapter on that, it does warn about some fairly hefty penalties for getting either of them wrong  (glycogen is more of a wall - could have been chester...  hydration they say you don't really notice it.)

Any thoughts on this?  Any experience would be really appreciated.  Obviously I need to make my mind up before 9am tomorrow morning - because I'd need to do this trial run.
  • Options
    My last post was a bit erroneous!  Anyway, with all the piddling about with water, gels etc, I'm contemplating wearing my lightweight ultra vest for my main target marathon in 3 weeks....  in which case I should trial it tomorrow.  Is it a stupid idea for someone who needs to save every second?

The only people whom I've seen wearing these things in a marathon don't seem to be really 'racing' them.  I'd be worried about it bringing unwanted heat retention (even though it is really thin... Salomon Sense, I think it's called) ... and also extra weight.  But I've got to solve the nutrition transport somehow - I can't get on with running belts, and the only other possibility is stuffing my tiny back pocket (or buying cargo shorts) and also carrying some in hand.  

I do wonder if part of the reason for my many fades is down to hydration/food.  Re-reading P&D's chapter on that, it does warn about some fairly hefty penalties for getting either of them wrong  (glycogen is more of a wall - could have been chester...  hydration they say you don't really notice it.)

Any thoughts on this?  Any experience would be really appreciated.  Obviously I need to make my mind up before 9am tomorrow morning - because I'd need to do this trial run.
  • Options
    Will catch up later on everything, but got a quick question for you all. Would the Adidas Adizero Boston Boost be okay to wear as a standard steady training shoe? Wandering if anyone has an experience with them

Back on the injury bench here I think, pulled out of session again this morning. No point carrying on now till this knee is properly fixed. Lets hope the physio helps in a couple of weeks
  • Options

Westy - yeah the weather forecast is perfect at the moment, just 2mph winds the whole time now. Hope it doesn’t change!

Congrats on the parkrun AWC.

Great 10K John.

I wouldn’t want to be wearing an extra layer NE. It’d restrict airflow between vest and skin aside from anything. I’m using these shorts: https://www.tracksmith.com/products/m-twilight-split-shorts Not cheap but the back pockets for gels are brilliant. Don’t know why more manufacturers don’t pay more attention to pockets in shorts - most are useless.

Scott, I use the Bostons for everything other than recovery and faster sessions. And I’d happily use them for either of those really if I had to. If I could only use one shoe it’d be them, they’re great. Lightweight, but enough cushioning for longer stuff. Hope the physio sorts your knee, must be very frustrating.

My legs felt very heavy when I woke up this morning. Hopefully just full of glycogen. Feel fine now after a wander. Will do a short 5K leg loosener shortly. Perfect mix of excitement and nerves at the moment, bring on tomorrow! :D

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Scott: sorry to hear about your knee still giving jip. Have you ever been to Ant’s RunCamp sessions at the track? They’re weekly strength and conditioning sessions for runners and I’ve had no problems with my knees since I started doing them 6 months ago. Might be worth a chat with him?

Spoons: go smash them!!!

NE: I try and be as light as possible so an ultra vest in a marathon wouldn’t work for me. You generate much more heat running at marathon pace and staying cool helps a lot pace wise. 
  • Options
    NE, have you used the vest before on long runs (preferably with MP miles) in training at least if you say you would need to trial it?  If not I wouldn't wear it tomorrow.  Bad chafage over 26 miles would not be fun.

Otherwise, if it has adjustment straps load it exactly with the stuff you would carry and give it a quick trial with the clothes you will wear to make sure it is set up right, you don't want to be messing around with it because of slippage in the first couple of miles.

On an earlier version of this thread I also remember seeing a DIY gel holder for carrying them in your hand involving elastic bands, you would need the correct size of band though as you don't want to cut off the circulation. 

Generally though I would stick to the advice of don't try something new on race day even if it isn't your main mara. On a training run you can often dump gear which doesn't work as planned and go back for it later or just cut the run short.  In a race not so easy.  
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow in Paris tomorrow Macca-smash it!

Hope to see both Spoons and NE at the start tomorrow but if not all the best to you both. Go well and enjoy!

Just finishing my Guinness and then it's early dinner soon followed by bed. Hope to get a bit more sleep than last night!

I'm number 1803 for tracking purposes.

See you on the other side...
  • Options
    It's about time I checked in with the thread, not least to say best of luck to the Manchester and Paris runners. Really eager see how well you go.

I'm still plugging away, and did a tune up 10k in the Olympic park this morning in 43:20. Really wanted to be in the 42s but it is what it is. Beers last night can't have helped. Last long run tomorrow before taper kicks in properly. Still haven't seen anything to convince me that 3:30 is on the cards (cancelled HM didn't help) but it doesn't seem completely fanciful, and training has been decent the last 3 weeks (60+ mpw), so we'll see. Whatever I manage is a PB anyway.
  • Options
    Good luck Manchester marathoners.

Good luck with the half Steve.

Just picked up my race no with about 30mins to spare, a bit more nervous energy wasted.  3451 for the record.

For the list purposes 2:57 isn’t on. I’ll set out at sub 3 but will settle for (b) 3:06 (c) GFA renewal of 3:15.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Good luck all. Don't be shit/merde.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Nice 10ks Andy/John and Parkrun AWC.

Good to see you back HA, that's the second time I've done a ball tempering joke as you missed the first one, glad I perservered now :smile:

Good luck in Paris Macca.

After hurricane Abingdon, I wish we'd had 2mph winds, enjoy it chaps.

Hungover this morning so never got up in time for Parkrun so did a solo 5k tempo tonight, came out at 17:45. Pleased enough with that and if I can get a few more weeks in I may be able to threaten sub 17 again.

• Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Massive good luck to spoons, Tom, NE and macca tomorrow. Hope you really enjoy it and get all you deserve. Enjoy a post race beer and don’t forgot to celebrate the journey. 2mph winds don’t come often. Enjoy!

Great double commute from HA. Good to see you’re back out there. 

John - cotton wool time! Nice race. VLM hill is nothing. 

Scott - I wear Adios as a standard training shoe, so reckon Boston would be fine. I reckon you can get used to anything, but do swear by varying and surfaces on a near daily basis. Sorry to hear about the knee. 

Reg that is shifting for a solo run. I had forgotten about the wind at Abingdon, but you’re right. And there aren’t exactly loads of runners to bunch with. 

Nice work at parkrun AWC. 

Spoons - the knee is generally ok now, but still a very deep scab. I can’t kneel down on it and don’t seem to be able to get up to full sprint pace. If I even slightly knock it, significant swelling reoccurs. But hopefully none of things matter re marathon running. Also - those split shorts look brilliant. May invest in a pair or perhaps a birthday treat. 

A weekend of family dos in London has been great fun, but feeling significantly heavier for it! Stayed in a pitch view room at Twickenham that was quite cool. And even did a spot of heat acclimatising in the sauna. Presumably the appropriate protocol is to rehydrate with Sauvignon blanc?Final long run tomorrow morning. 

• Options
    Good luck to those racing Manchester tomorrow along with any other racers

Thanks for the shoe advice, trying to find some cheap shoes on eBay so needed to know which adidas would be okay as a steady shoe and not just for sessions/races
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Fantastic parkrun PB AWC!  :)

Well done John. 30s course record is huge.

Sounds like some decent training there Andy.

Fab 5K tempo Reg!

Best of luck to Macca, Spoons, Tom and NE tomorrow (and Steve I think.)

Decent parkrun for me this morning. 6th place with 19:03 on my local twisty and bumpy course. Joint 2nd fastest time ever. Final LR tomorrow.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Porridge down.

Let's do this!