Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Reg: 50m discus :D Couldn't get it 50ft! Cracking prize, if you don't already have a gym membership.
    Impressive 10K in that heat & after all the miles you've put in Steve.
    Bad luck JB - I'm sure I speak for many: eagerly awaiting the update.
    Nice parkrun John. 14C sounds ideal.
    Good hill session SQ - not jealous of your early Lido access at all. Did think it looked amazingly empty from the pic on Strava.
    Jogged 2M round the track at lunch & my legs felt battered. Hopefully get out for something a bit more meaningful this evening.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Great weekend of training, John. Good luck for the ultra. Hope the weather plays ball. 

So, when's the decathlon, Jools?

Enjoyable track session with spoons this morning. WU and WD on road, and the main event on the school grass track, donning my spikes for the first time since late 2015. 16 x 100m fast with 100m jog recovery. Certainly a shock to the system and bloody hard work! Spoons was rapidly speeding off into the distance, with a noticeably faster initial 5-10m. Really enjoyed something different (as with the hill running last week). Definitely good to mix things up. 
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Great work on the win reg!!

Any news on the DQ Joe? Do we have to start a Facebook campaign?

Jools, will look out for you at Dorchester. Mrs Mills and a number of club mates will be there running the half. I’m looking after the dog and supporting (with the whippet)

my legs are finally getting back to normal after Saturdays efforts. Now into a mini-taper for a race on Saturday. (ox 50) this will determine the summer plan. If I’m struggling with the miles / calf  then I may need a re-think.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Nice bit of T&F jools.  

Good 2min PB for your 10k trail race NE.  

Great Tri win Reg.

Bad luck on the dq Joe.  Have you got that clarified in the meantime?  

Nice 10k in Birmingham SteveMac.

Good hill training on the Cleeve challenge SQ.  A bit more than 20% and I am definitely walking especially if it is a longer stretch.

Nice trail running and a speedy parkrun John.

I've finally plucked up the courage to sign up for Sunday's marathon.  Weather looks ok - around 13 degrees, maybe some rain, maybe some wind.  Interesting course taking in tarmac and field and forest tracks (all pretty civilized) with some undulations.  Not a PB course but I have only one goal and that is to get round this time.  By chance I met the 3:45 pace maker at my last hill race, he said to expect to add a good 10 mins onto a flat marathon time.  I'm actually surprised they have pacemakers with around 450 mara participants.  There is also a team run and a half so overall around 1000 runners according to the current start list.  Reasonably relaxed week therefore for me - more or less repeating the last week of the taper. 
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Nice track sessions SQ and Spoons.
    John - Sounds like better weather for your 100k.
    Hazel - Good luck for Sunday's marathon.
    AWC - Ultra is next weekend.

As it's taper time and mileage is dropping off, decided to chuck some LT miles into todays run. So 8 miles with 2 at LT (6:32/6:24), happy with those paces after Sunday's 10k.
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Just a quick check-in to say hello.

Well done Macca on finishing that ultra in the heat. Amazing stuff.

I can't really process your weekend Jooligan but well done!

Nice win there Reg.

Unlucky about that DQ Joe. Hope you find out why.

Good luck with the marathon Hazel! I'm sure you will finish.

Well done AWC on a casual marathon!

Speedy racing by Millsy and Steve.

Good luck with the ultra John! Hope it stays cool for you.

I seem to be fully recovered from London. Did my local parkrun last weekend in 18:55 - my second fastest time on that course.

Yesterday I did a 5 mile trail race around one of the runways of Manchester Airport. The first, slightly uphill, mile came out at 5:55 and felt good so I enjoyed that. The pace dropped a bit after that but managed a sub 6 last mile as well to finish in just over 31 minutes. All good fun and thankfully the temperature had dropped to normal levels.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Nice racing, Ramjet, and great  you feel recovered. Do love a summer evening race!

Good LT, SteveMac. How long until the race?

Really pleased you've entered, Hazel, and it sounds a lovely course. I keep looking at summer marathons but can't find one that fits or looks really enjoyable.

Hope it goes well, Millsy, and the calf holds up.

Just seen there is a meet at Worcester Athletics Track in a month. Might have a crack at the mile then. Never done one before. Although a 8.30pm start time is pushing my limits of staying awake.
  • Options

Fantastic from Macca, not exactly ideal running weather either

Casual training marathon from AWC too and I need to take the top spot on that segment now  ;) 

Lots of racing and parkrunning at the weekend, the speed is reappearing post marathon's again. Not the greatest weather though, way too hot

Good work on the sprint tri win Reg !

Any update on the DQ Joe?

Loving working from home at the moment, being able to watch the Giro all day

Had a great bank holiday weekend but it involved no running, didn't get to sleep until 6am Sunday morning after a night out! Since have managed 30mins yesterday and 7miles this morning, feeling good

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Scott - Sounds like a good bank holiday weekend!
    SQ - Next weekend is race weekend. I'd like to have a go at a track event at some point!

Easy 5 mile recovery today, legs feeling OK. Sports massage tonight to freshen them up for race weekend.
  • Options
    Good luck on Sunday Hazel/Steve/Millsy!

Nice racing Ramjet, do a spot of plane spotting whilst you were there?

The big news is - I'M BACK IN. They are reinstating me after basically admitting they had no idea why I'd been disqualified. Score one for the little guy. 

Swimming going very well and had a decent track session this morning. 3 miles, 2 miles and then 1 mile, alternating each mile between Ironman pace (just under 3 hour marathon pace) and 10km PB pace. The ironman pace felt ok, the 10km pace felt bloody hard.. 

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    SQ: great track session - the sounds spike fill me with dread though! Must feel so different to even light racing flats. 830 is a bit late for a mile! Our mile races start at 630 which is much more acceptable.

Millsy: good luck with the Ox50 - its White Star isn't it? I've heard great things about their races but not got round to doing one yet.

Hazel: sounds like decent conditions for the marathon - hope you can put all that training to good use.

Steve: nice LT taper run

Scott: I reckon that top spot is yours for the taking. Its a good segment because not many people run that way and its one of the few I can get into the top 10 on!

Ramjet: good trail racing. Legs look to be recovering well.

Joe: good news on the reinstatement. Very odd in the first instance!

Did a 10km at the Olympic Park last night. Plan was to ease into LT pace but of course I set off at lightning pace with a 6:17 first mile (we never learn do we?!) and slowed a bit from there to finish in 40:27 which was a PB of 1:27. I was delighted with that given London was only a couple of weeks ago and I ran a marathon on Saturday morning on the trails. Whilst it wasn't the best way to run a big PB its shown me that my legs have kept their speed but I'm just a bit fatigued.

It also means that unless I do something stupid then sub-40 at Eastleigh 10km next month is definitely on the cards as I'll train and taper properly for that one.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    AWC, as long as you don’t run a marathon the week before Eastleigh you should be on for a good PB.
    Yes, the Ox is White Star. Always great fun but the distances are always “ish”
    will be a good test of my ultra legs.

Glad you got re-instated Joe.

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear your efforts weren't wasted JB.
    Cracking trail 5M Ramjet & 10K PB AWC.
    My legs are still far too creaky for any PB shots though hopefully a SB 5,000m on Saturday at the County Champs should be possible. You having a crack at this SQ? It's in Gloucester btw
    15 hilly trail miles yesterday & 7 today for me + 2x10M cycle commutes each day.
    Best of luck at the Ox Millsy & look forward to hearing some cheering at Dorchester.
    Well done on signing up to the marathon Hazel. Fingers crossed for you.
  • Options

Very odd that you were disqualified in the first place if they had no idea why Joe

Yeah some segments are sure easier than others to claim. 100% sub 40 is there for the taking at Eastleigh AWC, may pop down to watch if I'm around

Considering you've got creaky legs Jools you seem to be doing alot!

Another 40mins yesterday, nothing today but a gym session at lunch

• Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Good news you're back in, Joe. I've only been disqualified once and that wasa definitelyl legitimate. Turned left on a red light and the guy following me was a policeman and dobbed me in. Fair enough. Shame though as I would have won!

Great work at the 10k, AWC. Nothing better than an unexpected PB. Smash time at Eastleigh then!

Ticking along nicely there, Scott. Good to see.

I wasn't aware of the county champs, Jooligan. Out of interest, where does one find out about such things? Bit gutted now as I probably would have fancied things, but have trashed my legs now so won't bother. Track with spoons on Wednesday; last night 16M on trails by the river (lovely, but a lot of nettles); then 6 x 60 sec hills and 6 x strides this morning. Trying to front load the week as just an easy parkrun tomorrow and then supporting the wife at the Shakespeare Half on Sunday. 

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    SQ - Enjoy Shakespeare half, did that one a few years ago as only my 2nd ever HM!
    Joe - Good news on the reinstatement, thanks for the good luck, but mine is next Sunday (20th) rather than this weekend.
    AWC - Cracking run and PB on tired legs!! Will be interesting to see how far under 40 you go once tapered!

Easy weekend planned (13m Saturday and 3m Sunday). Sports massage last night was painful but legs feeling fresher today!
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Shame SQ. Do Almost Athletes not promote the CC at all? If I wasn't looking out for them club secretary is always informed & passes it on via FB/newsletter etc.
    Usual source for all county related running is currently https://www.athletics4u.co.uk/ since the old county page became locked once Dave MacNamee died. There's a Mile & a 10,000m at PoW coming up in September. It's a Friday evening, 7th I think.
  • Options
    AWC - as mentioned on Strava, fantastic effort, that's a massive PB! Agree with the others, sub-40 is just around the corner. Also as mentioned on Strava, how fast is Steph Davis (my clubmate)?! You don't usually see a female overall winner.

SQ - probably a deserved DQ then, haha! Unlucky that the old bill were behind you though. Sounds like you've had a big few days. 

Knocked off 93 miles in the saddle this morning averaging 21mph which I was fairly pleased with, then ran 5km off the bike. Starting to feel like things are coming together. 
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Joe: Steph was caning it alright. Great to see. Some great pics of her smiling for the cameras mid race so she was enjoying it too unlike my serious grimaces!
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the good lucks for Sunday.  

Good to hear you were reinstated for the tri Joe.  Nice swim and track training.

Nice 5 mile race ramjet.  Always good to enjoy a race.

Good BH weekend Scott.

Well done for your PB AWC especially after London and your training trail mara.  

Good luck for the 50 miler Millsy.

Nice outings by you SQ - good luck to your wife on Sunday.

A slightly lethargic 5 mile recovery with some strides today.  Rest day tomorrow and will pick up my number in the afternoon so less stress on Sunday morning.  Will spend some time on the train studying the route.  Weather forecast still cool and a bit damp, with some (head) wind later on.  Much better than hot and sunny.
  • Options
    Hazel - good luck Sunday, hope you enjoy it.

Good luck also Millsy with the 50.

I’ve just about caught up on sleep, need to catch up with the thread now.  

I seem to recall Steve doing a LR 10k weekend double, AWC a 10k PB, Reg winning a tri, Ram running across Manchester runaway, NE a trail PB, John preparing for an ultra, Scott rolling in at 6am and SQ and Spoons having their own track smack down. I think Jools raced all of the above in one afternoon IIRC. Apologies if I’ve missed anyone breaking the 2hr marathon or anything.

Managed a few recovery runs this week, swollen feet have shrunk, blisters gone.  I’m hungry for miles but as soon as I hit even a gentle slope I’m reminded to take it easy.

I’ll stick a report up later when I’ve trimmed it a bit.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Been awol this week so have some catching up to do.

Just popping in to wish Millsy, Hazel and anyone else racing this weekend good luck! 
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    30 miles on the South Downs Way this morning in 4:45 including another poo stop. This time I had to use 4 big dock leaves as the toilet was locked. Not ideal but better than shitting in the shorts and probably not a good idea having curry last night. The recent block of marathon training has really helped with this ultra training as I’m feeling much faster than last year at this stage.
  • Options
    As said AWC, strong looking run that. I’m a big fan of tailwind although I feel I need some solids + gels to supplement.

Thames Path 100 

300 or so runners assembled on the towpath at Richmond, 10am, last Sat morning.  Having finished a few of these events in the 30s & 40s placings I thought it not unreasonable to line up near the front and get a view of what the front of the field looked like and how they run it.  There's also a gate about 1/2 mile in so it's good to get there before a queue builds (like a few secs waiting is going to effect the eventual outcome).  Anyway, with the RDs advice of taking it easy in the heat going in one ear and out the other, the vague plan of nothing sub 9min miling evaporated as the watch revealed a few 7:XXs.  At this pace, the field had thinned out a bit, it didn't feel too warm, and I was just enjoying watching the rowers and the pleasure boaters out on the Thames.  It was great to get a shout from Joe and Katie somewhere around Hampton and again around 18 miles in.  It was only at the 2nd aid station, 22miles, when I stepped inside and thought this is lovely and cool that I realised how warm it was outside.  I was taking on plenty of liquid, Tailwind and gels so felt good to continue, keeping 9s off the watch until about 26 miles in.  I recall a spectator counting I was in 16th place which gave me a fright and I became increasingly aware of the sun from here.  From Dorney, 30m, through Cookham 38m and into Hurley 44m I began to feel like I was struggling too much, way too early.  Quite a few passed me, I think I slipped to around 30th, and my stomache started to rebel against food or gels.  I continued with the Tailwind and took a few S Tabs (salt).  The thought of a 50 to 60 mile death march dawned on me but I also tried to convince myself that the heat would subside and and I could get through this bad patch.  My mood wasn't helped by running past the many picnics laid out with crates of beer or the boaters chugging past quoffing from tall glasses.  It took a long time for the suns strength to subside but by about 7pm, when I got to halfway at Henley it had and I started to feel better.  Knowing the course was a positive psychological influence as was the attention and encouragement from every check point and the tipping point bringing me back from the edge was a bowl of meat pasta at Henley.  With some real food inside I felt fuelled to make good progress to Reading, 58m just before dark.   With sensible walking breaks, sometimes 1m on 1m off or .25m off, .75m on, I went through Whitchurch 67m, Streatley 71m and Wallingford 77.5m  The temperature had noticeably dropped now and fog from the river hung randomly bouncing the head torch light straight back in my face whilst also soaking my feet in the long wet grass. Where it was clear, the stars were out and there were long stretches where I could hear nothing but my own breathing.  interrupted only by the odd weir, roaring in the dark   Clifton Hampden, 85m was reached in decent spirits but it was from here the previous year that I had a really bad 6m to Abingdon.  I caught someone ahead and thought I'll make a bit of distance before taking a walk break.  Before I could stop, I caught someone else, then another and another.  This was in complete contrast to the previous year and it felt like I ran most of this section, albeit slowly.  I got to Abingdon, 91m, still in the dark and pressed on to Lower Radley 95m as the sun came out.  Stopping only for a quick coke, I continued to the finish at Oxford knowing that a sub 20hr had passed me by but was more than made up with what looked like a top 20 placing which I wanted to hold onto.  I faffed a bit trying to check the positions on my phone and my watch battery died before I could recharge it.  One guy passed me with 3 or 4 miles to go but he looked very strong so I saved myself in case hordes suddenly appeared on the tow path behind me.  Nobody did, so a little choked, I had the finish line to myself at Oxford, 20hrs 20mins 30secs and 16th place.          

In summary, over-cooked it in the first 30miles, paid for it 30-50, recovered and had a good 50-100 section.  Fantastic checkpoints and volunteers on course.  The drop out rate was 42% - one of their highest ever.  Can’t wait to do it again but hopefully on a slightly cooler day.

• Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Good report Macca - nice and descriptive... sounds like a satisfying race - very well done.  Interesting to see that you didn't buddy up with people.  I think I feel like I don't want to do that - well, not for long periods - but see the advantages when the main challenge is you versus the course/distance rather than you versus other competitors.  

I don't think I quite understand how to pace an ultra (maybe you don't either ;)   - Obviously I know you shouldn't go too quickly but I read people saying that you should set off as slowly as possible, and even then you'll be running too quickly!

But I'm not so sure - taken to the extreme, you wouldn't run your Thames race at 1mph or you'd be on your feet for a hundred hours, which would be exhausting, so there must be an optimum speed. On the flat last month, I showed I can run 26m in 3.22 (7.44/min) whist being pretty much at my speed-endurance limit.  I've also ran Manchester comfortably in 3.46 (8.38 pace).  So surely if I was running on a flat road, I should be able run at 9.30 pace as my base pace, interspersed with a few walking breaks?  But I know that 9.30 doesn't feel slow to me at all... it's a pretty normal easy-run pace for me.  10 min doesn't feel slow to me.  I have to get down slower than 11 minute miling before I think I'm going really easy.  For my next big race, there are quite some hills in there, so I know I've to account for that but are there any rules of thumb you can offer Macca.... or anyone?  Cheers.

Good luck in the marathons Jools & Hazel.  Dorchester looks really nice.

Joe.. Have any pictures emerged yet of you catching the number 37 bus during your tri.  Or are have they reinstated you?

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the report Macca, I can see how it’s easy to go off too hard on a flat route. That combined with the heat would explain the high drop-out percentage.  Great to see a strong finish too. 

Here’s my race report for the Ox 50. Had been feeling much more positive about my calf after last weekends parkrun. This was further reinforced from my physio appointment where he said all was looking good and I wouldn’t need to come back for at least a month. The other good (or bad) thing about the race was it was 8 x10k laps which meant I had the option to pull out if the injury re-surfaced.

Had a look through last years results and 8hrs won it. My aim for the SDW 50 had been 8 so thought why not go out at that pace and see what happens. It would then depend on who turned up on the day.

At the start I saw a bloke who I’d met previously and he was going for 7.30 - 8 so decided to stick with him. We were part of a group of 4 for the first half mile but one chap decided to speed off on his own and one dropped back. The chap who went off at the start was apparently a much faster marathon runner so I just had to focus on the sub 8 and seeing where that got me.

The first lap came in at just over 10k meaning a total race distance of 52-53 miles. I was trotting along quite nicely at 8.30 min miles. A lot faster than the target but felt ok. The bloke I was running with dropped back after the start of the third lap and I was then running solo for the foreseeable. I ticked off 26.2 miles in about 3.45 well on target but was planning for a bit of a slow down in the second half. Was just running to feel. Attacking the flats and the downs and taking the hills easy. With laps it’s quite good to know which ones you can walk.

After 5 laps and nearly 3 hrs of running solo (apart from lapping people) I did something I’ve never done before and used my IPod in a s really helped to take my mind off the repetitive nature of the laps. My pace was keeping very steady throughout and despite being well ahead of schedule was feeling good and. Then focused on breaking 8 hrs for the 53miles rather than just 50. Was comfortably in second and wasn’t concerned about the leader.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    By the end of lap 6 I got word that the leader was slowing and wasn’t too far ahead. I didn’t panic, just kept on plodding and hoped I’d see him at some point. My pace was slowing a little but still felt in control of it. Legs felt like they were doing 7min miles but the watch was showing 9’s. I finally overtook the leader half way through lap 6.That left 10 miles to hold on. Doing rudimentary maths in my head, 10 min pace would get me under 8 but would it keep me in the lead.
    The walk breaks were getting longer as I was struggling to take on any food but by now it was only 5 miles and that’s just a recovery run. Took things very easy up the final hill and muster a bit of a sprint finish for the last 400m to cross the line in 7:56 for my first ever win at an ultra. I was a little surprised to see the second place guy only 3mins behind so he must have found his legs on the last lap. 

Had as a good chat with the RD and some club mates and my neighbor (who was there with the Cani -cross event shoved a beer in my hand and guided me to a chair.

it was the fist time I’d actually raced in a 50 miler and definitely felt it in my legs and stomach. I struggled to eat and drink much until about 8 pm.

My calfs seem in ok shape this morning and no major blisters. Which is good and bad news. Looks like I will be fit for my A race which has been looking unlikely for the last few months,  the South Downs Way 100. It will be no surprise to Macca as he had spotted my name on the entry list and squeezed the info out of me while in the starting pen at London.

A very easy week for me for me, including a boys weekend to Italy. The enforced rest should do me good.
  • Options

Good to hear the massage did the trick Steve

Strong miles from SQ!

Incredible bike ride that Joe

Good luck today Hazel :)

One thing I have learnt over a few years of running AWC is never have curry the night before a long run, never ends well. Ultra training going well though

Fantastic report Macca, must have felt great to finish strong and still be overtaking

The boys weekend sounds the perfect recovery Millsy. Great win though and pace didn't seem too drop off too much in the 2nd half of the 50 so looking good for the SDW 100

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Forgot to add, AWC, you know you are a proper trail runner when you have to dive into the woods!
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Brief feedback from me - will read those interesting looking reports later / tomorrow..

3:36:31 for me today, a bit faster than Frankfurt (flat) last autumn, a bit slower than Zurich 2 years ago.  Very pleased with that.  Undulations were tough and I lost a minute due to a pitstop.  Last 3-4 miles were tough.